Depeche Mode Television Archives Forum

Author Topic: 2014: Frank Ocean song feat. Martin Gore  (Read 4254 times)

Offline Angelinda

• Assistant
  • Damaged People
2014: Frank Ocean song feat. Martin Gore
« on: 20 February 2013 - 20:04:53 »
This thread contains all news items regarding Frank Ocean's collaborative track with Martin Gore on his upcoming album.
2017-06-30: Photobucket has disabled external image hosting, all scans will have to be re-uploaded on another site.

Offline Angelinda

• Assistant
  • Damaged People
Re: 2014: Frank Ocean song feat. Martin Gore
« Reply #1 on: 20 February 2013 - 20:05:13 »
2013-02-20 - Entertainment Weekly (US) - Frank Ocean has '10 or 11' songs done, which may include Depeche Mode collaboration

http://music-mix.ew.com/2013/02/20/frank-ocean-new-music-depeche-mode/

Frank Ocean has '10 or 11' songs done, which may include Depeche Mode collaboration
Kyle Anderson

In the weeks leading up to the Grammys, few were certain what Frank Ocean’s next move would be. Would he take a break from music  to focus on writing a novel, as he suggested to The Guardian last year? Or would he reinvent himself into something else entirely?
In an interview with BBC Radio radio yesterday, Ocean claimed that he is “10, 11 songs” into the follow-up to his critically-acclaimed Channel Orange: “It’s another cohesive thing, bordering on a concept record again.”
Ocean also said that Channel Orange collaborator Pharrell Williams has been with him in the studio, and that he hopes to work with Danger Mouse soon. Those are likely suspects, though another collaborator does seem a little more left field.
During a conversation about Depeche Mode’s upcoming album Delta Machine yesterday, singer Dave Gahan told EW that Ocean ended up in his legendary band’s orbit recently:“We were in the studio in New York, and we were filming and recording some live tracks toward the end of the session. I was singing, Martin [Gore] on guitar, a few of the other guys,” Gahan said. “Suddenly in the doorway, I sensed this presence, and I realized there was this guy standing there just watching. An assistant came up to me in between songs and said, ‘Do you mind? Frank Ocean is here working in another studio and really wants to meet you guys.’ I wouldn’t have thought he would have even known who we are, but it turns out he’s a big fan.”
And that’s not all: “Martin and [The Knife producer and Delta Machine collaborator] Christoffer Berg ended up doing a track with him, which I think is going to be part of his new record. Martin did some electronics and some modular synthesizer stuff he really wanted.”
2017-06-30: Photobucket has disabled external image hosting, all scans will have to be re-uploaded on another site.

Offline Angelinda

• Assistant
  • Damaged People
« Reply #2 on: 24 March 2013 - 06:25:17 »
2013-02-22 - Svenska Grammofonstudion on Facebook:

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=552449851439986

Svenska Grammofonstudion:
Frank Ocean, Martin Gore and Christoffer Berg in Jungle City Studios, NYC.

Offline Angelinda

• Assistant
  • Damaged People
« Reply #3 on: 25 March 2013 - 03:57:25 »
2013-03-22 - The Sun (UK) - Depeche Mode: Brits wouldn’t show our set so we said ‘f*** them’

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/showbiz/4854402/depeche-mode-on-brit-award-no-show.html

(...)

Clarke wasn’t the only visitor to the studio — US singer Frank Ocean stopped by — and he and Gore recorded a song together.
Gore explains: “He just popped by and said hello — he was in another studio with Alicia Keys. I don’t know what’s happening with the track we did, though, yet.”

(...)

Offline Angelinda

• Assistant
  • Damaged People
« Reply #4 on: 27 March 2013 - 02:45:37 »
2013-03-24 - 20 Minutes (France) - Martin Gore interview

http://www.20minutes.fr/culture/1124597-20130324-depeche-mode-delta-machine-parce-cree-blues-electronique

(...)

Et le hip-hop-rnb, non? Vous avez travaillé avec l’artiste Frank Ocean...
Depeche Mode était en studio après avoir fini l’album, on faisait des chansons pour le disque bonus. Frank Ocean était dans le studio en dessous. Il a demandé s’il pouvait venir écouter. Il est venu pendant qu’on enregistrait et nous a demandé si on voulait bien travailler sur une chanson qu’il avait écrite. Il a donc joué ce morceau que je trouvais incroyable. Christoffer Berg et moi on a travaillé dessus et on lui a renvoyé. Apparemment, il a trouvé ça génial.

(...)

Offline Angelinda

• Assistant
  • Damaged People
« Reply #5 on: 14 April 2013 - 01:56:46 »
2013-03-26 - Associated Press - Martin Gore interview

http://www.mercurynews.com/breaking-news/ci_22873207/martin-gore-new-depeche-mode-cd-frank-ocean
http://www.mysanantonio.com/entertainment/article/Martin-Gore-on-new-Depeche-Mode-CD-Frank-Ocean-4385244.php#photo-4379054
http://bostonherald.com/entertainment/music/music_news/2013/03/martin_gore_on_new_depeche_mode_cd_frank_ocean

Martin Gore on new Depeche Mode CD, Frank Ocean

(...)

AP: You collaborated with Frank Ocean recently. How did that come about?
Gore: The last day I think it was that we had in the studio in New York, we were just recording some live sessions, a bonus thing for our deluxe CD, and Frank asked our engineer if he could come in and have a listen. So, he came in and started talking to us and said he had a track that he would like us to work on. He came up later and brought his track up, and the following day we stayed an extra day in the studio and just did a few bits and pieces, and I have no idea what's happening to that track. It's a great track.

AP: What was he like?
Gore: He seems like a nice and funny guy. He came in, he was very at home coming into our environment, playing us his track. He went off and then we worked on it.

(...)

Offline Angelinda

• Assistant
  • Damaged People
« Reply #6 on: 24 April 2013 - 02:07:51 »
2013-04-23 - CNN (US) - Martin Gore interview

http://edition.cnn.com/2013/04/23/showbiz/music/martin-gore-depeche-mode/index.html

Catching up with Depeche Mode
By Jennifer Vineyard

(...)

When Frank Ocean recently introduced himself as a super fan, Gore was happy to make his acquaintance. "We happened to be in the same studio complex, and he was working downstairs with Alicia Keys," Gore recalled. "And toward the end of our session, he asked our engineer if he could come in and have a listen, so when we finished the song, he walked over and said hello. And then he said, 'I've got a track, I'd love to play it for you, I've love for you to do something on it.' And it was really good."
Gore stayed an extra day at the studio to add some material to the then-untitled track, which might find its way on Ocean's next album. "I have no idea whether he'll actually use the pieces we did on there, but hopefully it will surface one day! It sounded really good," he said.

(...)

Offline Angelinda

• Assistant
  • Damaged People
« Reply #7 on: 25 July 2013 - 04:50:49 »
2013-05-03 - Gaffa (Sweden) - Festivalguide: interview Martin Gore

[Click the link for a PDF version.]

http://www.e-pages.dk/gaffa/503/

(...)

Frank Ocean dök upp i studion I studion i New York hade Martin Gore och kompisarna i Depeche Mode inte bara en rejäl utsikt över staden. Det var också där han träffade – och samarbetade med Frank Ocean.
– Vi höll på att spela in material för bonusskivan när en av studioteknikerna frågade om hans kompis fick komma in och lyssna och se på när vi spelade in. Det var ok tyckte vi och det kom in en kille som visade sig vara Frank Ocean. Han är rätt framåt, så han förklarade att han är ett stort Depeche-fan och sen undrade han om jag ville vara med och spela in en låt tillsammans med honom, för han hade en skiss som kunde behöva lite intressanta synthljud. När han spelade upp den blev jag helt bortblåst. Det var kanonbra, så vår programmerare Christoffer Berg och jag tillbringade hela nästa dagen i Frank Oceans studio istället. Vi jobbade alla tre på låten.
När kan vi se fram emot att höra den?
– Jag har faktiskt ingen aning. Det är en fantastisk låt, men jag har ingen aning om när, var eller ens om den kommer ut. Jag hoppas det såklart! Det var de analoga syntharna som Frank Ocean ville ha.

(...)

Offline Angelinda

• Assistant
  • Damaged People
« Reply #8 on: 25 October 2013 - 05:58:51 »
2013-10-14 - Gigwise (UK) - Frank Ocean: 'Expect new music when summer comes round again'

http://www.gigwise.com/news/85028/frank-ocean-expect-new-music-when-summer-comes-round-again

Frank Ocean: 'Expect new music when summer comes round again'
Channel Orange star taking time with next album

Frank Ocean has revealed to fans he won't be releasing any new music until next summer.
After a fan asked the 'Pyramids' singer when to expect new music via Ocean's personal Tumblr page, Ocean simply replied: "when summer comes round again". The news is sure to disappoint many, with Grammy award-winning debut Channel ORANGE having been released over a year ago.
Channel ORANGE was released in July 2012 to rave reviews, with many critics citing it their album of the year. Ocean has stayed more or less under the radar since, only making headlines for personal incidents, including being charged for possession of marijuana and an altercation with Chris Brown in a car park.
It was revealed last week that Ocean was due to sing on a Chipotle advert, but was replaced by singer/songwriter Fiona Apple due to a vocal chord injury.

Offline Angelinda

• Assistant
  • Damaged People
« Reply #9 on: 08 April 2015 - 00:28:19 »
2015-04-06 - Billboard (US) - Frank Ocean Announces New Album Out in July

http://www.billboard.com/articles/columns/the-juice/6524278/frank-ocean-boys-dont-cry-july-new-album-magazine

Frank Ocean Announces New Album Out in July

Frank Ocean's planning something big for July: a new album and magazine.

The R&B crooner's been largely quiet in the time following the release of his channel ORANGE album in 2012, and anticipation has been building for something new. And on Monday (April 6), Ocean posted something to his Tumblr that got people talking.

Along with an image of himself looking down at two stacks of magazines called Boys Don't Cry, he wrote, "I got two versions. I got twoooo versions."

He also included the hashtags #ISSUE1 #ALBUM3 #JULY2015 #BOYSDONTCRY on the post that showed up on his website's front page.

This had the Internet quickly asking: What could this mean? A new magazine by Ocean? A new record by Ocean? Both?

A rep for Ocean confirmed to Billboard it is indeed both: A new album and his own publication are due in July. The magazine is titled is Boys Don't Cry while the album title has yet to be revealed.

Offline Angelinda

• Assistant
  • Damaged People
« Reply #10 on: 14 September 2015 - 23:08:00 »
2015-08-21 - Spin (US) - The Tide Is Turning on Frank Ocean

http://www.spin.com/2015/08/frank-ocean-fyf-fest-tide-turning-kanye-west-why-are-you-doing-this/

The Tide Is Turning on Frank Ocean
Last night's FYF Festival cancellation was not the move, man
Brennan Carley

Late last night, Frank Ocean pulled out of his headlining appearance at tomorrow night’s FYF Festival in Los Angeles, and was replaced by Kanye West. Organizers issued a statement on the matter, containing an incredibly thinly veiled shot at the elusive musician — “Frank Ocean has decided on his own terms to cancel his appearance” — insinuating that the choice fell solely on the Grammy-winner’s shoulders. When reached by SPIN, organizers replied that they had no comment on the matter.

Ocean’s last-minute bail is indicative of a larger problem plaguing stars of his stature. Surprise albums have been written about ad nauseam — there’s no use underlining how frustrating it is for music to spring up in the middle of a night, because that’s overplayed and a privileged problem, anyway — but what the 27-year-old seems to be doing is something similar to the blueprint currently being followed by Rihanna and Kanye. In April, Ocean posted a cryptic photo to his Tumblr that suggested that something — an album, or perhaps even two versions of such — would drop in July, which came and went without a peep from him. Ocean’s absolute silence on the disappointment? Poor form. Not that the man owes people anything, but to go and announce a project and then fade into the shadows — failing to deliver anything and not offering so much as an update, a press release, or a tweet — shows a total lack of regard for people waiting eagerly on the edge of their keyboards every night at midnight, hoping for a crumb, a snippet, a tease.

Now it’s August. We’re already more than halfway through the month, which Ocean’s brother led off with a trolly post suggesting that his sibling had released something on iTunes — but surprise! The link led to the lowest common denominator Internet meme: Rick Astley’s “Never Gonna Give You Up.” Most fans let that one slide (though blogs latched on, eager for any insight on Ocean’s whereabouts), because there was — at the very least — an upcoming festival appearance that implied new material could be on its way, three years after channel ORANGE’s release. At the very least, the FYF Festival slot would rip away the blackout curtain that blocked any access to the (unnecessarily) elusive star.

And here we are — still no Frank Ocean. A man who had to have known that tons of attendees had possibly purchased passes, plane tickets, and hotel rooms exclusively to see him, has bailed on his supporters — not a month ahead of time; not a week ahead of time; but a day and a half before his set was scheduled. A man who told fans in April to expect something new in July after three years of basically nothing. A man who doesn’t owe us anything, but whose attempt at keeping things quiet borders on simple, lifeless reclusiveness. There’s a thin line between secrecy and irrelevancy. Frank Ocean’s tipping over to the other side.

Offline Angelinda

• Assistant
  • Damaged People
« Reply #11 on: 21 August 2016 - 04:30:52 »
2016-08-20 - Frank Ocean releases two albums:

On August 18th 2016, Frank finally released a visual album called Endless. On August 20th, he released a studio album named Blonde. While many artists are mentioned in the credits for both albums, Martin Gore is named in none of them. So the collaboration with Martin has probably been scrapped. :(

- Angelinda

Offline Angelinda

• Assistant
  • Damaged People
« Reply #12 on: 22 August 2016 - 15:33:56 »
2016-08-22 - Christoffer Berg on Instagram:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BJZsZiUAtAa/

christofferberg:
"Throwback... Frank Ocean, Martin Gore and Me, Jungle City Studios NYC 2012. Working on "Solo". Loving The album so happy We finally get to hear it!"

[When I asked him under the photo why he and Martin Gore are not credited on the album, he replied:]

"he released another version of the song

it was a great song before, when and after Me and Martin ever did anything, i'm just happy it's released in any form :) and very proud and humble to have been a small fleeting part of the bigger process, credited or not credited ;)"

[So I think this means that none of the sounds that they made on that day have ended up on the album.]