Depeche Mode Television Archives Forum

Author Topic: 2008: Mirror - Nostalgia feat. Dave Gahan  (Read 9489 times)

Offline Angelinda

• Assistant
  • Damaged People
2008: Mirror - Nostalgia feat. Dave Gahan
« on: 12 October 2011 - 16:58:21 »
This thread contains all news items regarding Dave Gahan's collaboration with Mirror.

If you have any news items to add, PM me.

Daniel "BRAT" Barassi answered a lot of questions regarding this collaboration on the HOME forum, you can check out his answers here: http://www.depeche-mode.com/forum/index.php?topic=22978.0
2017-06-30: Photobucket has disabled external image hosting, all scans will have to be re-uploaded on another site.

Offline Angelinda

• Assistant
  • Damaged People
Re: 2008: Mirror - Nostalgia feat. Dave Gahan
« Reply #1 on: 12 October 2011 - 16:58:42 »
2007-07-17 - Side-Line (Belgium) - Depeche Mode's Dave Gahan contributes vocals to new Mirror project

http://www.side-line.com/news_comments.php?id=24515_0_2_0_C

Depeche Mode's Dave Gahan contributes vocals to new Mirror project

Side-Line can reveal that Depeche Mode member Dave Gahan has contributed vocals to the "Mirror" project of Tom Anselmi (ex-Slow vocalist) and keyboardist Vincent Jones who also worked on Gahan's live DVD "Live Monsters". "Mirror" was written by Tom Anselmi and was produced, recorded and mixed by Jones who also took care of the programming and playing instruments. The release holds a couple of special guests including Depeche Mode vocalist Dave Gahan who can be heard on the song "Nostalgia". Also included on that track is Mike Garson (Bowie's pianist for many years) who plays piano. Jones describes the track as follows: "it's electronc, it's orchestral, it's old, it's new, very powerful." Knox Chandler also makes a brief apperarance on the album just like American actor Joe Dallesandro. The latter is known from several Warhol films, was portrayed as the money-minded "Little Joe" in Lou Reed's hit 1972 song "Walk on the Wild Side" and also featured on the cover of The Smiths' eponymous debut album. In related news, Vincent jones confirms us that there will be a "very unique live show" planned for the project. Vincent Jones, a Canadian musician, was a member of The Grapes of Wrath and Ginger, and a frequent collaborator with Lava Hay. Following Ginger's breakup, Jones became a session musician, and producer,appearing on live albums by Sarah McLachlan and David Gahan, and studio albums by Mystery Machine, Cowboy Junkies, Monster Magnet, Rose Chronicles and Bruce McCulloch.
2017-06-30: Photobucket has disabled external image hosting, all scans will have to be re-uploaded on another site.

Offline Angelinda

• Assistant
  • Damaged People
« Reply #2 on: 12 October 2011 - 17:00:06 »
2008-04-23 - tarinanderson (US) - Director Sean Starke

[According to this site, the video is directed by Sean Starke. BRAT confirmed on HOME that it was filmed weeks before this date.]

http://www.tarinanderson.com/resume.html

(...)
Director Sean Starke: Mirror – Nostalgia (feat. Dave Gahan)
(...)

Offline Angelinda

• Assistant
  • Damaged People
« Reply #3 on: 12 October 2011 - 17:09:01 »
2008-07-22 - Desiree Asher on Flickr - Dave Gahan, Mirror music video Nostalgia, New York City

[Desiree Asher posted these photos on her Flickr account, with the caption: "Photo from Desiree Asher (April 2008) Approval July 2008 - All Rights Reserved by Desiree Asher". The photos are no longer to be seen on her Flickr account, but she also posted these on her website http://desireeasher.com/artwork/751809_Dave_Gahan_Mirror_music_video_Nostalgia.html. Later (I don not know on what date) other photos emerged, you can see the rest here: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Desiree-Asher-Photography/135054236505451?sk=photos#!/media/set/?set=a.145068508837357 .]

Dave Gahan and Desiree Asher:

Offline Angelinda

• Assistant
  • Damaged People
« Reply #4 on: 12 October 2011 - 17:11:12 »
2008-09-29 - Dir. Sean Starke - Photo

The director put this photo on his own website seanstarke.com (no longer retrievable):

Offline Angelinda

• Assistant
  • Damaged People
« Reply #5 on: 12 October 2011 - 17:12:26 »
2008-09-30 - CD baby - Mirror Presents

https://cdbaby.com/cd/mirrorpresents

Cinematic, electronic pop music from the multi-media project MIRROR, featuring Depeche Mode singer Dave Gahan, Warhol superstar Joe Dallesandro, Bowie pianist Mike Garson, and introducing chanteuse Laure-Elaine and teen actress Frances Lawson.

Song snippets:
http://cdbaby.com/mp3lofi/mirrorpresents-01.m3u

Offline Angelinda

• Assistant
  • Damaged People
« Reply #6 on: 12 October 2011 - 17:14:11 »
2008-10-03 - Dave Gahan - News

http://hourglass.davegahan.com/news/index.html

Dave appears on new Mirror album
"Nostalgia", the lead track from the self-titled album "Mirror", is now available online!
You can purchase the album now via the Mirror web site, in both CD and mp3 format. Also, the video for "Nostalgia" is available for purchase, as well as more information, wallpaper downloads, and more.
You can also hear the full track for "Nostalgia" on Mirror's Facebook profile.

Offline Angelinda

• Assistant
  • Damaged People
« Reply #7 on: 12 October 2011 - 17:15:53 »
2008-10-03 - Mirror - NOSTALGIA Nostalgia, starring Dave Gahan

http://www.mirror.fm/page/4

Offline Angelinda

• Assistant
  • Damaged People
« Reply #8 on: 12 October 2011 - 17:18:31 »
2008-10-04 - Mirror - NOSTALGIA Nostalgia, starring Dave Gahan

http://www.mirror.fm/page/4/

Offline Angelinda

• Assistant
  • Damaged People
« Reply #9 on: 12 October 2011 - 17:21:47 »
2008-10-05 - Mirror on Facebook - Photos New MIRROR Video Starring Dave Gahan

http://www.facebook.com/pages/MIRROR/27981337139#!/media/set/?set=a.28515392139.36408.27981337139

Offline Angelinda

• Assistant
  • Damaged People
« Reply #10 on: 12 October 2011 - 17:23:18 »
2008-10-06 - Mirror - Nostalgia video

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=33293721151

Video created by MIRROR and directed by Sean Starke for Nostalgia, starring Dave Gahan

OR

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mE45pn_AMW0

Uploaded by MIRRORpresents

Album available at www.mirror.fm itunes
This is the censored version of the Nostalgia video starring Dave Gahan. Created by Thomas Anselmi and Sean Starke, Live action directed by Sean Starke. Shot in Poland, Czech Republic, Canada, and NYC. Uncensored version and MIRROR album available at www.mirror.fm.

Offline Angelinda

• Assistant
  • Damaged People
« Reply #11 on: 12 October 2011 - 17:23:54 »
2008-10-30 - Straight (Canada) - MIRROR reflects Thomas Anselmi's ambition

http://www.straight.com/article-168040/mirror-reflects-anselmis-ambition

MIRROR reflects Thomas Anselmi's ambition
Not only is MIRROR's Tom Anselmi (that's him in the white T-shirt) a musician, he is also the genius behind the world's most expensive karaoke system.
By Adrian Mack

(...)
But it's the single "Nostalgia" that has captured the most attention so far.
Depeche Mode's Dave Gahan is responsible for giving the piano-led ballad its towering melancholy. "I think he sang it as a love song, but I think he was also aware of the other aspect of the song," Anselmi says, "where it's less about the end of a love affair and more about the end of everything."
(...)

Offline Angelinda

• Assistant
  • Damaged People
« Reply #12 on: 12 October 2011 - 17:24:56 »
2008-11-12 - Depeche-mode.org (Bulgaria) - Thomas Anselmi interview

http://www.depeche-mode.org/index.php/menu,2/sa,view/topic,3806

(...)

Преместил си се от Ванкувър в Берлин и след това в Лос Анджелис. Смяташ ли, че тези места са те вдъхновили в процеса на създаване на MIRROR? Някои от песните звучат доста "европейски".
Ванкувър е място, което често е изполвано да внушава атмосферата на други градове. Холивудските студиа, привлечени от фотогеничността на природата и евтиния канадски долар идват постоянно, за да снимат. Този град е като едно място, което се намира на края на света, но може да изглежда като всяко друго. Това чувство, че все едно живееш на снимачна площадка със сигурност е вдъхновило MIRROR.
Берлин и Лос Анджелис са много различни от Ванкувър, но и близки по някакъв начин. И на двете места човек е преследван от едно чувство, че златният период, на който тези градове са се радвали, вече е приключил. Около мен постоянно имаше знаци от миналото. Чувството на тъгуване по една вече мъртва ера е всъщност този тип носталгия, за която Дейв пее в песента.

Как се срещнахте с Дейв и какво те накара да решиш, че точно той е подходящият човек за проекта?
Винаги съм възприемал Дейв Гахан като Гласът на своето поколение. И наистина класически фронтмен, почти съизмерим със Синатра. Освен невероятен вокалист, той добави и нещо повече концепуално. Винсънт Джоунс му изпрати песента и той се съгласи да я запишем. Разбира се, бях поласкан и изумен от това.

Как "Nostalgia" беше създадена и записана?
Написах "Nostalgia" за едно мултимедийно шоу със същото име, което се състоя във Ванкувър. За него бяха използвани множество видео връзки, които показваха какво се случва в отделните стаи. Групата свиреше сама на сцената, а зад тях на екрана се прожектираха певците, които се намираха в тях.
Самата песен беше написана като всяка друга, в малко студио, оборудвана с нужната техника, компютри и синтезатори. Винсънт изпълни по-голямата част от нея, заедно с Майк Тотръп на китарата. Дейв дойде в Лос Анджелис и направи вокалите, след което Винсънт записа Майк Гарсън в къщата му, като той е използвал собствения си роял.

(...)

Translation: http://www.depeche-mode.com/forum/index.php?topic=24043.0

(...)

You've moved from Vancouver to Berlin and then LA. Do you think that these places have inspired you in the process of creating Mirror? At times some of the songs sound very 'european' to me.
Vancouver is a place that is used a lot to play other places. Hollywood studios, attracted by photogenic filming locations and the cheap Canadian dollar go there to shoot all the time. It is a kind of nowhere that can be made anyplace. This feeling of living in a film set has definitely inspired MIRROR.
Berlin and Los Angeles are very different from Vancouver and in some ways similar to each other. In both these places one is haunted by the feeling that the golden period they once enjoyed is long over. In those cities I find myself looking for evidence of past times everywhere. That feeling of yearning for a dead era is the sort of nostalgia that Dave is singing about.

How did you meet Dave and what made you think that he is the right person for this project?
I had always felt that Dave Gahan was the defining voice of his generation. And really a classic frontman almost comparable to a Sinatra. As well as being a great singer, Dave provided something  extra conceptually. Vincent Jones sent him the song and he agreed to do it. I was of course flattered and amazed.

How 'Nostalgia' was written and recorded?
I wrote Nostalgia for a multi-media show of the same name held in Vancouver. It used a lot of live video feeds. Linking rooms via video feeds. The band played alone on a stage with images of singers in other rooms projected behind them. A kind of instant history.
The song was recorded like the others, mostly in a small room filled with recording gear, computers, synthesizers. Vincent did most of the playing, with Mike Tottrup playing guitar. Dave Gahan came to Los Angeles and sang and Vincent recorded Mike Garson at his house, playing his own grand piano.

(...)

Offline Angelinda

• Assistant
  • Damaged People
« Reply #13 on: 12 October 2011 - 17:25:25 »
2008-12-01 - Side-Line (Belgium) - Mirror There was not a big budget and a big budget wasn't needed

http://www.side-line.com/interviews_comments.php?id=37800_0_16_0_C

SL: Back in July 2007, we announced that Dave Gahan would contribute a song to our debut album. It did take a while before the album was actually released, a normal delay or not ?
Vincent Jones: It took us almost a year to complete the record, There were several reasons for this not the least of which was it was entirely self funded. We took quite a few breaks, not only did we need them creatively but I would also take the occasional high paying gig so I could afford to work longer on this project. I think it was a labour of love for both of us. Also we worked very closely together really searching for the right textures and parts to complement the songs and that can be creatively draining. We learned to recognize that and would take some time away from the music a break.We also pulled a lot of favours and ended up jumping around between quite a few studios. For instance on Nostalgia, Dave flew himself to Los Angeles to sing the track for us, after that was done Mike Garson agreed to play , and I moved all my gear to his house to record him. We recorded the tracks in 4 different studios and ended up mixing in Vancouver, it was a lot of work for 2 guys on a budget!

SL: Is this more than a thank you for being his live band during his solo "Monster" tour?
Vincent Jones: Well it was just incredible the day that Dave told me he would sing the track! Both Tom and I were thrilled. Dave is such an iconic singer, besides being one of the great singers and performers of our time, he is the most wonderful human being you could ever hope to have as a friend. Definitely more than a thank you and I think his performance is up there as one of his best!!!

SL: How did you actually get involved with him in the first place?
Vincent Jones: I was living in Los Angeles at the time, Victor Indrizzo was the MD of the band and was looking for a keyboard player who could sing. I was recommended by a mutual friend the producer Gavin Mackillop. Also I was friends with Knox Chandler, we had met years earlier on the Lilth Fair tours, so I called him and told him I wanted to do it.

SL: Speaking about Knox Chandler. What attracts you in his work?
Vincent Jones: Oh well Knox is fabulous! The way he approaches guitar is very unique, his sounds and parts are very creative and I knew he would be a perfect fit for the tracks he contributed to.

SL: Also included on "Nostalgia" is Mike Garson (Bowie's pianist for many years) who plays piano. Knowing that Dave is a huge Bowie fan I think he was more than pleased with it, correct?
Vincent Jones: You know I haven't really talked about that with Dave.... But I'm sure he is ! I know he is happy with the track. Mike Garson and Dave Gahan together... that was a dream come true for me. I idolized Mike from a very young age and to be in his house recording him was a dream come true!

(...)

SL: Thomas, there was a video shot for the song "Nostalgia", an obvious choice?
Thomas Anselmi: I have been working in video for a few years now. What excites me the most is capturing iconic performers. And Dave is obviously that and much more. I also was excited to explore the subtext of the song. When Dave agreed to do it, it was the obvious choice for the first clip. We are working on a few more from the record.

(...)

SL: You made the album available via www.mirror.fm on CD and as a download package including all the songs on the album in high quality MP3 format, PDF of 24 page album booklet and a high quality version of the "Nostalgia" Video featuring Dave Gahan. How did this work out so far?
Thomas Anselmi: There were some hiccups at first. Fans actually started buying things from the store before it was live. So that was a nightmare. But now things are running fairly smoothly and we have s steady stream of sales. This has been very gratifying. Selling downloads from our site to people all over the world.For artists to be able to sell directly to fans is an exciting development in the digital age.

(...)

SL: Which collaboration for this album was the most memorable one and why exactly?
Vincent Jones: Recording Dave Gahan, Mike Garson and Joe Dallesandro. I grew up either listening to , or listening to songs about these men. and doing this record with Tom gave me the opportunity to record them.....like I said earlier, a dream come true!
Thomas Anselmi: Working with Vincent was a real creative breakthrough for me. I had never had anyone focus so much on trying to capture the conceptual subtleties of music like he did. I also love the track World Of Darkness that Frances Lawson sings with her father Ronan Boyle. And of course for me hearing Dave Gahan sing "Nostalgia" was a high point of my life as an artist. I consider Joe Dallesandro a dear friend now, and getting to know and work with him has been a real honor.

Offline Angelinda

• Assistant
  • Damaged People
« Reply #14 on: 12 October 2011 - 17:27:55 »
2009-03-09 - Suicide Girls (US) - Thomas Anselmi Mirror

http://suicidegirls.com/interviews/Thomas%20Anselmi:%20Mirror/

By Nicole Powers

(...)

NP: Given that brief, how did Vincent fulfill that?
TA: He really understood it right away. Even before Dave [Gahan] sang "Nostalgia" we were talking about it, and I was trying to describe that feeling to him, and he said something like, "It's as if that future that we were promised around the Second World War, the dream of that future that never really happened." For instance something like synthesizers, you know, they sound so futuristic, but because of the way that, if you've been a music fan for a long time, synthesizers have also started to sound retro. They sound like the past as well. So it's this dream of the future that appeared in the past.
NP: How did the collaboration with Dave Gahan come about?
TA: Vincent played with Dave, and he sent Dave what we were doing and Dave really liked it, and we asked him to sing it. I really wanted something special for that song. I can sing that song, and it was kind of a natural song for me to sing, but, with me singing it, it didn't have that extra dimension that I was looking for. Of course Dave brought something I couldn't have been looking for. He has such an incredible style, but also there's the other part of it; it added something because of his history, and the fact that he is that to so many people, that a lot of people have so many memories that they attach to music that he's sung.
NP: That's the thing, it add a whole other ironic level. Did Dave appreciate the irony of it -- the Brits are big on irony.
TA: I never discussed that. But I think that the video made that a little bit clearer, that extra element to the song.
NP: The video is beautiful.
TA: Really? Thank you. I'm really proud of that. It took a hell of a lot of work. We really worked on that a long time.
NP: I heard that Dave was so cool, he even paid his own air fare to record the track.
TA: Yeah. Amazing! What a guy!
NP: I'm presuming the video was shot at a later date, how did that happen?
TA: Same way. We asked him, and, amazingly, he said yes. I just couldn't believe it -- that he said yes. I had an idea that I wanted to use in the show and in the video, because in the show we use a lot of video. I wanted to really make apparent that other element -- that we were just talking about with the song -- to lay bare the subtext of the song. Honestly, he just completely trusted us. We shot the whole thing green screen, my brother, Sean Starke, directed his performance.
NP: Where was that done?
TA: It was done in New York. And then I started just making video collages. Then we had the good fortune that a friend of a friend, Dane Smith, who is a producer of visual effects, his company worked on it, and they took those crude a approximations I was doing and keyed it in properly and made it look all beautiful.
NP: It is like a moving oil painting.
TA: That's very sweet. What you just said was exactly what I was trying to do with the collages, was to make it like an oil painting, so that's great.

(...)