Depeche Mode Television Archives Forum

Author Topic: 1983: Construction Time Again  (Read 44924 times)

Offline Angelinda

• Assistant
  • Damaged People
Re: 1983: Construction Time Again
« Reply #15 on: 25 June 2012 - 02:41:59 »
1983-06-09 - Smash Hits (UK) - Who's Who? Dave Gahan

http://likepunkneverhappened.blogspot.com

[I typed out the text:]

Lead singer with Depeche Mode. Born 9/5/62 in Chigwell, Essex. Moved to Basildon when he was three where he later joined the Boy Scouts and attended Nicholas School. In 1997 he became a punk and then in 1980 began to participate in the growing New Romantic club scene in London, becoming infamous in Basildon for his weird haircut and pierced nose. While singing Bowie's "Heroes" at an electronic jam session he was overheard by Martin Gore, Andy Fletcher and Vince Clarke. They were sufficiently impressed to ask him to join Depeche Mode. After several gigs and a track on the "Some Bizarre" compilation LP, the group were signed to Mute Records and their second single, "New Life", established them in the Top Ten. A brace of precise hit singles and the departure of Clarke soon followed. The focal point of the group with his boyish good looks, Gahan voices the developing maturity and sensitivity of Depeche Mode with increasing confidence while remaining, reputedly, argumentative and something of a worrier: "You've just got to reach the right balance between normality and insanity."

Offline Angelinda

• Assistant
  • Damaged People
« Reply #16 on: 25 June 2012 - 02:42:42 »
1983-06-18 - BBC (UK) - Pop Quiz

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ueGqCC-D9TY

3:16
Mike Read: Dave, for you, The Man Who Sols The World, by Lulu.
[song plays]
Host: Who is her male guest on that?
Dave: David Bowie?
Host: David Bowie! Two points!

9:38
Mike Read: Dave, for you, here's your lyric: "...say we can say we will not just another drop in the ocean..."
Dave: I know the song, it's pretty recent.
Mike Read: It was pretty recent, but no marks for guessing that. But you would have had marks for guessing this.
[song plays, The Cutter by Echo and the Bunnymen]

14:00
Host: And lastly, in round five, for you Dave, some Duran Duran:
[song plays]
Mike Read: Okay, you wonder now what I'm gonna ask you, don't you? What was their first hit single in Britain?
Dave: Ehm, Planet Earth.
Mike Read: Planet Earth, yes, for one point. And for the other point: Can you name the members of Duran Duran?
Dave: Ehm, Simon LeBon. Andy Tayler, John Taylor, Mike Rhodes, and eh...which one have I missed there? John Taylor.
Mike Read: No...
Dave: Roger! Roger Taylor.
Mike Read: Well done.

15:12
Mike Read: Malcom McLaren's new album is called?
Dave: Duck Rock.
Mike Read: Duck Rock.

15:23
Mike Read: Siouxsie Sioux is also a member of which group? Yes, Dave?
Dave: Creatures.
Mike Read: The Creatures.

1983-06-27 - Depeche Mode - Everything Counts

http://archives.depechemode.com/video/music_videos/06_everything_counts.html
http://www.depechemode.com/video/music_videos/06.html
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1t-gK-9EIq4

Everything Counts (1983)
Video Released: 1983
Video Director: Clive Richardson

Appears on the album:
Construction Time Again

Appears on the home video(s):
Some Great Videos home video
Some Great Videos 81>85 home video (U.K.)
The Best Of Depeche Mode, Volume 1 (CD + DVD) home video

Offline Angelinda

• Assistant
  • Damaged People
« Reply #17 on: 25 June 2012 - 02:43:42 »
1983-06-xx - Depeche Mode - Information Sheet 6

http://www.tuug.utu.fi/~jaakko/dm/sheets/is836.txt

Depeche Mode Official Information Service

INFORMATION SHEET NO. 6/83

I have enclosed the requested items/information which I hope are satisfactory. Please do not hesitate to write back to me if there is anything about DEPECHE MODE that you would like to know and I will do my best to answer your questions. Please send a stamped, self addressed envelope to the address below quoting the number 7/83 at the end of June for Information Sheet No. 7/83.

DEPECHE MODE NEWS: Dave would like to pass his sincere thanks to everyone who sent in all the gorgeous cards he received on his 21st birthday. Although the band were working in the studio on that day he did have a smashing birthday.

VIDEO NEWS: Unfortunately it appears that the promised compilation and live video filmed during last year's British Tour will have to be scrapped. Due to the band's very heavy recording schedule the work needed to finish off the cassette has had to be shelved at least until August by which time the film will be almost a year old and DEPECHE MODE feel they would rather release new material then. Any further news we receive will be printed.

RECORD NEWS: DEPECHE MODE will be releasing a new single, written by Martin, in July which will be followed by a new album entitled 'Construction Time Again' in August. The 45, which is yet to be named although it has been recorded, will be available in both 7"and 12"from the middle of July.

TELEVISION: The last programme in the current series of Tyne Tees' 'Razzamataz' on the 28th of June.

Dave is recording 'Pop Quiz'for the BBC on the 14th of June so it will hopefully be televised soon after.

DEPECHE MODE are on 'Get Set' in the middle of July, followed one week later by an appearance on a new ITV Saturday show called 'Number 73'.

TOUR DATES: We now can announce a fully confirmed list of British concerts for later in the year:

September   9th    Dublin SFX Hall
                              10th    Belfast Ulster Hall
                              12th    Bristol Colston Hall (0272 22957)
                              13th    Brighton Dome (0272 682046)
                              14th    Southampton Gaumont (0703 29772)
                              15th    Coventry Apollo (0203 56122/3)
                              16th    Sheffield City Hall (0742 735295/6)
                              18th    Aberdeen Capitol (0224 23141)
                              19th    Edinburgh Playhouse (031 557 2590)
                              20th    Glasgow Tiffany's (041 332 0992)
                              21st    Newcastle City Hall (0632 320007)
                              23rd    Liverpool Empire (051 708 7714)
                              24th    Manchester Apollo (061 273 1112/3)
                              25th    Nottingham Royal Concert Hall(060242328)
                              26th    Hanley Victoria Hall (0782 24641/610940)
                              28th    Birmingham Odeon (021 643 6101)
                              30th    Cardiff St. David's Hall (0222 371236)
                   October     1st    Oxford Apollo (0865 244544)
                               3rd    Portsmouth Guildhall ( 0705 824355)
                           6th,7th    London Hammersmith Odeon (01 748 4081)

10 Hawksway Basildon Essex SS16 5JQ

Offline Angelinda

• Assistant
  • Damaged People
« Reply #18 on: 25 June 2012 - 02:45:10 »
1983-06-xx - Unknown (Japan) - Depeche Mode in Japan

http://www.geocities.jp/pchan93/promoadvertising.htm

1983-06-xx - Stereo Magazine (UK) - Gahan to the Dogs

[Thanks to Dennis Burmeister for supplying this article! Transcribed using OCR:]

GAHAN TO THE DOGS
You would have thought that as leading purveyors of techno-based electro-pop Depeche Mode would have a blinding array of lights and dials on their domestic hi-fi systems. Not so, as I discovered when I went to see their frontman Dave Gahan at his Essex home. I must admit that I was a mite surprised to see an ageing HMV set-up, but a quick demonstration showed it had a clarity and definition that belied its utterly primitive and basic design. The fact that it made any sound at all seemed unbelievable.
'The whole thing is HMV' Dave states proudly. 'The speakers are 30 watts and even though it is quite old it has a very good sound and comes close to the 'real thing'. The whole idea of a system is to get as close to the original performance so I'm very happy it passes that test.' Dave doesn't have a cassette deck or tuner, and he doesn't feel that he needs them.
'I don't really want to listen to the radio at home as I get a of of it when we are travelling on tour, and music tends to get a bit boring when it's the main part of your job. We've been so busy that I have only recently found time to listen to records again. I've been using it mainly to check test pressings. It shows up all the faults, and there have been quite a few of those recently!'
Why chose HMV — surely the little white dog isn't up to giving new records the same bite he used to?
'Well, I bought it before Depeche took off. I didn't have much money and my brother's friend was emigrating and had to sell his equipment. I managed to snap the lot up for only £50. It's probably worth quite a lot more now though. I'm very pleased with it actually, and I can always borrow a Teac reel-to-reel 4-track from one of the other members in the band if I really need a tape deck.
'Before this I had a very small stereo. It was just a little plastic box really. I can't even remember the name of it now.'
So why hasn't he upgraded his system? Surely he has the means to do so now and it's very much a part of his work?
'I could get better equipment, but I haven't really had time to think about it much and something like that really needs to be done properly. Daniel in the Mute Records office bought a Linn system recently and so I might get a Linn when I'm ready to, because I really like the sound of it.'
Depeche are very much a singles band even though they have produced two successful albums. So does Dave's taste tend towards singles?
'I mostly buy albums now, but I used to buy a lot of singles. Most of my collection dates from the early seventies when I was about 12. I've loads of Roxy, Slade and Gary Glitter, but I do buy a lot of new material. The latest album I've bought has been the Tears For Fears LP. I've been playing that a lot lately.
I think the first record I bought was a Marc Bolan maxi single in '71 or '72'.
Dave's collection squeezes precariously into six large boxes which are spread about his bedroom, on top of his wardrobe, under the bed. He's only 21 now so his memories of the sixties are vague. He grew up in the Glam Rock period and still pulls out those perfectly crafted singles from time to time.
'I don't have any spare time activities' he admits. 'So if I haven't been surrounded by music all day in the studio, on tour or during rehearsals I usually put something on, maybe a rare punk single or a bootleg Siouxsie album that I've got.'
Now before we are all given a holiday at Her Majesty's expense I have to say that no one here knows where bootlegs can be bought and we don't condone their manufacture or sale.
'I have a lot of rare punk records and bootlegs of Bowie and the Sex Pistols. The pride of my record collection is a Siouxsie album with a man in a lion suit on the sleeve. It was given away free at a gig of theirs that I went to. I've got quite a lot of those very rare, limited edition freebies, because I used to go to a lot of gigs at the time. I've got the original Spiral Scratch by the Buzzcocks and some rare Damned freebies. I visit quite a lot of old record collectors shops when I get the chance too. I've picked up quite a lot of good records that way.'
Depeche Mode have recently moved their recording operations from Blackwing Studios to John Fox's Garden Recording Studio where they plan to record the next album. Why the switch?
'Well, we were going stale to some degree, or at least we were afraid that if we stayed in the same studio there would be a danger of that. 'In The Garden', the room where I put my vocals down has a good echo and I find that easier to pitch. I had a lot of trouble with pitch in the 'dead sound' of Blackwing. The echo in the new studio also gives a live feel to the tracks and that is going to make quite a bit of difference.'
Their current single Get The Balance Right proves that, even with the loss of founder member Vince Clarke to Yazoo, Depeche can still set the dials for maxium effect. The new album, as yet untitled, has been written, and after major tours of Europe, Thailand, and other exotic locations Depeche will undertake their most ambitious tour of the UK yet. Let's hope the chart placing of the new album will enable Dave to send that poor little dog to the retirement home.
Martin Knight

Offline Angelinda

• Assistant
  • Damaged People
« Reply #19 on: 25 June 2012 - 02:45:40 »
1983-06-xx - Melody Maker (UK) - Mode Overdose

[This scan was sent over to the DMTVA.]

DEPECHE MODE on the road
Mode overdose

DEPECHE MODE, who've just returned from a tour of America and Japan, have announced an autumn tour of Britain. The band have now started writing and rehearsing material for their next album but they should be releasing a single next month. The 21-date tour starts at Dublin SFX September 9 and continues at Belfast Ulster Hall 10, Bristol Colston Hall 12, Brighton Dome 13, Southampton Gaumont 14, Coventry Apollo 15, Sheffield City Hall 16, Aberdeen Capitol 18, Edinburgh Playbouse 19, Glasgow Tiffany's 20, Newcastle City Hall 21, Liverpool Empire 23, Manchester Apollo 24, Nottingham Royal Concert Hall 25, Hanley Victoria Hall 26, Birmingham Odeon 28, Cardiff St Davids Hall 30, Oxford Apollo October 1, Portsmouth Guildhall 3, London Hammersmith Odeon 6-7. Tickets go on sale this week at the relevant box offices price £4.00 and £3.50 everywhere except Dublin £6.50, Belfast £5.00, Glasgow £4.00 and London £4.50 and £4.00.

Offline Angelinda

• Assistant
  • Damaged People
« Reply #20 on: 25 June 2012 - 02:46:02 »
1983-07-01 - BFBS (UK) - Dave & Martin interview

https://www.depechemode-live.com/wiki/1983-07-01_BFBS_Radio_1,_Berlin,_Germany

[Typed out by me.]

Host: 'Just Can't Get Enough' by Depeche Mode, a band at the forefront of the electronic music boom over recent years. They've recently returned from a tour of the USA and Japan, and, as I speak, two of the guys, David Gahan and Martin Gore, are in our studio. Gentlemen, good afternoon.
Dave and Martin: Good afternoon.
Host: Now, this one you have been asked a million times, I'm convinced, either of you can answer it: is it Depeche or is it Depech-ay?
Dave: [laughs] Ehm, we don't really mind, actually, ehm -
Martin: - You're dead right, by the way, we have been asked a million times. [laughs]
Dave: We have been asked a million times!
Host: Oh, I'm quite sure, yeah.
Dave: We don't really mind Depeche or Depech-ay. It doesn't really matter that much to us.
Host: Where does the name come from originally then?
Dave: It was picked up from a magazine when I was at college. We was looking for a name and it just seemed to have a good ring and we decided to go with it.
Host: What did you call yourselves originally? I'm determined to get this out of you. Was it "-ay" or just "Depeche"?
Dave: Ehm, Depech-ay.
Host: Depech-ay.
Dave: Yeah.
Host: So that's the more correct of the two, but you're not bothered?
Martin: The least correct but -
Dave: - It's the least correct.
Martin: But that's how we used to say it.
Dave: Yeah we used to say it wrong, but it doesn't matter, yeah.
Host: Well, why the heck not. Now, I've said that you'd just come back from the USA and Japan, that's right I believe?
Dave: Yep.
Host: How did that go down, then?
Dave: It was really good, especially Japan, Japan was very good. The fans over there were very nice and very friendly. And America again, we've been to America now a few times, and it's getting better every time. Most of the shows were sold out, so it was really good.
Host: I was gonna say, America can be a funny market to crack, can't they? Their music is very, very different.
Dave: Yeah. We found it very difficult because, in a way, we're an all-electronic band, and they find it a bit hard to accept that at first. But now we can go over there and we do very well over there, so it's good.
Host: I'd like to go on the subject of electronic music in a little while, but still on the subject of foreign tours, how important are they for you commercially? Are they really vital? Because, obviously, all bands have to tour abroad, but I sometimes wonder if they don't do it just for the prestige. Is the vital aspect important?
Martin: Not really. I don't think we actually make any money from touring, especially abroad. But we just like to show our faces a bit. I think it's important to sort of get around and get people to see that you are actually a band and not just a few people who get together in a studio and make a little bit of music.
Dave: Because, also, I mean, in England, you obviously can make money from touring in England, but usually the money we make from touring in England, we spend on going to, let's say, America or coming to Germany. And the last time we'd come to Germany, we had done quite an extensive tour, really. And when we come back in, I think it's November, then we got a big tour line-up for then as well.
Host: Now, can I just back to the record we just started with, 'Just Can't Get Enough': I can't pretend to be completely au fait with your history. I know it was written by Vince Clarke, who is or was with Yazoo. Was he a member of the band, to start with?
Dave: Yes, he was an original member. But after that, he of course went with Yazoo, and now he's left Yazoo, and eh...
Host: He and Alf have gone their separate ways.
Host: They're now on the same label as you, with Mute, so you must know them as well as anybody.
Host: What's happening to them two, then?
Dave: Well, Vince, I think, is gonna be working with some other people. Maybe not actually being a member of a band, but helping other bands maybe to get on. And I think Alf will probably go for more of bluesy things in some ways, I think that's what she wants to do, and maybe get out on the road or-
Host: -She's certainly got the voice for it.
Host: Now back to yourselves - as we were saying, Vince was one of the original members - how did you call get together in the first place?
Martin: Well, I knew Andy - this is Martin speaking - I knew Andy from school, and he knew Andy through Boys' Brigade-
Host: -Boys' Brigade? [laughs]
Martin: Yeah. We all sort of knew each other and we just decided to form a band. And it just went off from there, sort of as a hobby, and it just took off from there, really. Then we recruited Dave as a singer after we decided it didn't work as a three-piece, all playing keyboards.
Host: Well, good. Were you always electronic, then? You never bothered with drums and guitars, and all that?
Martin: In the early days, we used to have guitars. We had just one synth, one bass guitar and one rhythm guitar.
Host: What made you decide to become all-electronic, then?
Martin: Basically, I think it was more of a hassle, being a guitar band, because we needed amps around us with us everywhere, and we didn't really have the transport.
Dave: We didn't have the amps. [laughs]
Martin: So we decided to all buy a synth and then we could just direct inject into PA to wherever we went. That meant that we could travel on the train with the synths around our arms.
Dave: It was very easy, because it was very hard to even get gigs and to pay to sort of do a gig. The cost of doing a gig, just to get a little van and things and amps, it was very hard. So we used to just travel on a train with our synths under our arms and turn up at a gig and plug in and play, and so it was very easy. And then from there we just developed into what we are now.
Host: Now, Martin, since Vince has left, I know you have taken over most of the songwriting duties, I think, haven't you?
Martin: Yeah, that's right.
Host: Now, what inspires you to write your songs? Because they're certainly fairly individual, there's no mistaking the Depeche Mode sound.
Martin: Yeah, well, nothing in particular, everything, really. I'll go through stages when something might be on your mind, so I'll just write about that for a while, some sort of topic. but nothing really, nothing in particular.
Host: How long does it take you to write a song on average? I'm always very interested when I'm talking to composers and musicians as to where their ideas come from. Is it a case that you just got to sort of ram it all down, or does it take days and weeks?
Martin: It's difficult to answer that, really, because I might get an idea and write down the basics in five minutes, then to actually complete it, I might spend two weeks working on a porter studio or something. So basically I can write a song in ten or fifteen minutes, say, but to finish it completely it might take roughly two weeks or so.
Host: Well over here we have an example of one of your songs now, and we'll come back and talk some more in a moment or two after an 'Excerpt From My Secret Garden'.
['My Secret Garden' plays]
Host: [...] 'Excerpt From My Secret Garden' by Depeche Mode. Or Depechay Mode, apparently it's quite correct to say it either way, as far as the band are concerned. It was written by Martin Gore, and Martin and another member of the band, David Gahan are on the line from our Berlin studio. Martin, was that from a film, 'My Secret Garden'?
Martin: No. [laughs]
Host: I had a feeling it was, I remember reading somewhere, it said that 'Excerpt From My Secret Garden', it said something about a film. That must have been my mistake.
Dave: It was used in a thing for England, it was for instance on a sports programme, I think it was Grand Stand, it was used for the horse racing. But that's as near it got to a film.
Host: Possibly what I'm thinking of. Now, electronic music has been around for a while now, getting bigger and better. Do you think it's matured sufficiently to be considered an art form in its own right, rather than a cheap way of providing a fuller sound, which is what it was originally, wasn't it?
Dave: Well, I don't know, not really, I think it's just a way... It's good because musicians that are not technically as good as musicians that could pick up a guitar and do a twenty-minute solo can use electronics in a way that you can put across your ideas and your music without really having to be able to play the instruments really well. Because, I don't know, I think that's a very good thing.
Host: Now, one thing I'm always reading about is the attitudes of conventional musicians to electronic musicians, especially drummers with things like the LinnDrum around. Do you get much hassle from, say, studio session musicians, who obviously must be affected by the boom of electronic music?
Dave: Not really because we never use session musicians.
Host: Well, that's what I'm thinking of, the fact that they haven't got any work because of bands like you.
Dave: Well, that's good, because I think it's bad for a band in a way to use session musicians, because it's then other people's ideas coming into it as well, whereas if you're doing it as a band, you might as well go the whole way. I don't see the need to use session musicians, unless you really want something, like, there's no other way you can do it, like a saxophone solo or something, but then we can reproduce that anyway.
Host: I never thought about that, the purity of electronic music. Interesting answer! So do you don't regard electronic music as cheating at all?
Dave: No, not at all.
Host: Now, as to the actual gear itself, you were mentioning you started with just three synths I think it was. How much apparatus do you have on stage now?
Dave: Well, it's more or less the same, actual instruments-wise.
Martin: Roughly it's the same number of synths, it's just that they improved a bit, I think.
Host: Do you use the computerised job?
Dave: Yeah, well, Martin plays PPG, and Alan plays a Roland, and Andy has just recently bought an Oberheim which we're gonna be using on the next tour. Also an Emulator with which we made up a lot of our own sounds just by banging on pieces of metal and things and playing them into this computer, and it's actually got a keyboard and you play it live, so you can also make your own form of sound, which is quite important to us as well.
Host: Sounds like a miniature version of that has been the Fairlight.
Dave: Yeah, but, in a way, it's better. I think the quality of the sound is better than the Fairlight.
Martin: Relative to the price, it's definitely better. [laughs]
Dave: Yeah, it's a lot cheaper than the Fairlight.
Host: I think we should point out, the Fairlight is a computerised musical instrument, it's called, isn't it?
Host: Basically a very, very fancy synthesiser.
Host: Indeed. Now, onto the future: what are you up to a the moment? You said you were coming back, was it in November, for a concert tour?
Dave: Yeah. Well, at the moment we're just finishing mixing a new album, which we're very pleased with so far, it's going very well. We finished a new single, which should be coming out, I think it's the 11th of July. And then of course we start rehearsing and we start touring again in September.
Host: When is the album out, then?
Dave: End of August.
Host: End of August. What's it going to be called, do you know yet?
Dave: Yes, it's gonna be called 'Construction Time Again'.
Host: 'Construction Time Again', well, I shall look forward to hearing that. But we have a bit of a scoop on our hands, I believe, don't we, because the single isn't out until the 11th of July, but behind you in the Berlin studio, I believe Chris Russel has a tape of it, all ready to go.
Dave: That's right. Well, it's a world-first to us, to anybody who is listening, the first playing of the Depeche Mode single. What's it called?
Martin: 'Everything Counts'.
Host: 'Everything Counts'.
Martin: Yep.
Host: Well, we'll have a listen to this one, and it will be in the shops on the 11th of July.
Dave: That's right, yeah.
Host: Fine. Now, what about TV appearances? Any of those lined up?
Dave: I think so, yeah. I think they're doing a few things over here as well as in England, when we get back. We go back in July, we got a lot of things to do, we gotta go back and do, so, you should be seeing our faces. Hopefully. [laughs]
Host: Right, well, I shall look forward to catching you in concert, even more soon, the new album when it comes out. Martin Gore and David Gahan of Depeche Mode. The very best of luck in the future.
Dave and Martin: Thanks very much.

Offline Angelinda

• Assistant
  • Damaged People
« Reply #21 on: 25 June 2012 - 02:46:16 »
1983-07-16 - BBC (UK) - Get Set

Everything Counts: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ae61u71LzNc
Love, In Itself: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-9S4Xk7XOI

Offline Angelinda

• Assistant
  • Damaged People
« Reply #22 on: 25 June 2012 - 02:47:08 »
1983-07-16 - Sounds (UK) - Everything Counts Review

[Thanks to Barclay for scanning this for this forum!]

DEPECHE MODE: 'Everything Counts' (Mute) And the bland played on. As clinical as an operating theatre and as passionate and stimulating as a microprocessor 'Everything Counts' is so stupefyingly predictable you know exactly how the whole song will sound from the first four bars -- yeah, you guessed it, breathtakingly nondescript! This is music to embalm the dead to, though whether the members of Depeche Mode are actually dead or alive is a question that has baffled the medical profession for years.
Gary Bushell

Offline Angelinda

• Assistant
  • Damaged People
« Reply #23 on: 25 June 2012 - 02:49:01 »
1983-07-16 - No. 1 (UK) - Review

[Taken from the now-defunct website www.sacreddm.net.]

NUMBER ONE, 16th JULY 1983
[Words: Mark Cooper. Pictures: Uncredited]
" This is their strongest melody in a long while and a compelling picture of business Britain "
Summary: Brief review of Everything Counts, along with song lyrics. This is one of the reviews quoted in the sleeve of "Singles 81-85". [94 words]

Basildon’s very own Peter Pans are in the process of growing up. Here they take their first step outside the car park of innocence and are shocked to find themselves in a big bad world populated by wolves.
    As this is pop rather than rock, the Modes sound more injured than angry over their discovery that “it’s a competitive world”.
    This is their strongest melody in a long while and a compelling picture of business Britain that’s not a million miles away from that of the Bunnymen’s ‘Never Stop’.

Offline Angelinda

• Assistant
  • Damaged People
« Reply #24 on: 25 June 2012 - 02:49:51 »
1983-07-19 - BBC (UK) - Razzmatazz (Everything Counts)

Appears on a DMTVA DVD. Not hosted online.

Offline Angelinda

• Assistant
  • Damaged People
« Reply #25 on: 25 June 2012 - 02:50:16 »
1983-07-21 - Smash Hits (UK) - Depeche Mode

http://likepunkneverhappened.blogspot.com/2013/07/july-21-august-3-1983.html

[N.B.: Go here to see a scan of page of the July 1980 contest results: http://www.flickr.com/photos/51106326@N00/4617501380/in/set-72157623959085315/ .]

Letter:
"While flicking through my old copies of Smash Hits, I came across the results to a competition (July 10 1980) and noticed none other than "David Gahan, Basildon, Essex" among the list of winners! He won a copy of The Human League's "Travelogue".
Julian Dolman, Coventry.

[a list of winners is shown]

Hmmm. Seems this was indeed THE David Gahan. He says he was still at art college at the time, had heard the album but couldn't afford to buy it, and was very pleased indeed when he won. Interesting, that.

DEPECHE MODE: Everything Counts (Mute)
A bit heavy on the lyrics - all about contracts and people ripping you off - but a nugget, nonetheless. While most synthesiser bands are beginning to sound tedious, D.M. still manage to retain a freshness and a subtlety which makes them so continually appealing.
Deborah Steels

Offline Angelinda

• Assistant
  • Damaged People
« Reply #26 on: 25 June 2012 - 02:50:44 »
1983-07-xx - Depeche Mode - Information Sheet 7

http://www.tuug.utu.fi/~jaakko/dm/sheets/is837.txt

Depeche Mode Official Information Service

INFORMATION SHEET NO. 7/83

I have enclosed the requested items/information which I hope are satisfactory. Please do not hesitate to write back to me if there is anything about DEPECHE MODE that you would like to know and I will do my best to answer your questions. Please send a stamped, self addressed envelope to the address below quoting the number 8/83 at the end of July for Information Sheet No. 8/83.

DEPECHE MODE NEWS  Dave's driving test will be on Wednesday July 27th so let's wish him all the best of luck.

The band's official 2 week holidays begin on Thursday August 4th, Dave and I are going to Lanzarote in the Canary Islands and will be flying from Gatwick Airport at 7.30am if anyone would like to come and wave us off. Andy, Martin and Alan haven't yet made up their minds where they're going.

RECORD NEWS: 'Everything Counts' c/w 'Work Hard' is the title of DEPECHE MODE'S new single due out on Monday July 11th, it was written by Martin and will be available on 12" but as different mixes under the name of 'Everything Counts(In Larger Amounts)' c/w 'Work Hard'(East End Remix), it was recorded at the Garden Studio, London and mixed in Hansa Mischraum, Berlin.

A new album called 'Construction Time Again' will be released at the end of August, so far 9 totally new songs have been recorded, seven by Martin and two written by Alan, 'Work Hard' will not be included on the album.

TELEVISION: 'Razzamataz' will feature DEPECHE MODE playing the new single on Tuesday July 19th.

The band are on 'Get Set' on Saturday July 16th.

DEPECHE MODE are also appearing on 'No. 73' on Saturday July 23rd.

MERCHANDISE: We are pleased to introduce a new line of personally autographed photographs and a promotional 'Everything Counts' poster, next month we hope to make available a set of 'Construction Time Again' songwords and a promotional poster.

TOUR DATES: The following concerts are fully confirmed and tickets are now available only at the relevant box offices (not from us) price œ4.00 and œ3.50 everywhere except Dublin œ6.50, Belfast œ5.00, Glasgow œ4.00 and London œ4.50 and œ4.00.

September   9th    Dublin SFX Hall
                              10th    Belfast Ulster Hall
                              12th    Bristol Colston Hall (0272 22957)
                              13th    Brighton Dome (0272 682046)
                              14th    Southampton Gaumont (0703 29772)
                              15th    Coventry Apollo (0203 56122/3)
                              16th    Sheffield City Hall (0742 735295/6)
                              18th    Aberdeen Capitol (0224 23141)
                              19th    Edinburgh Playhouse (031 557 2590)
                              20th    Glasgow Tiffany's (041 332 0992)
                              21st    Newcastle City Hall (0632 320007)
                              23rd    Liverpool Empire (051 708 7714)
                              24th    Manchester Apollo (061 273 1112/3)
                              25th    Nottingham Royal Concert Hall(060242328)
                              26th    Hanley Victoria Hall (0782 24641/610940)
                              28th    Birmingham Odeon (021 643 6101)
                              30th    Cardiff St. David's Hall (0222 371236)
                   October     1st    Oxford Apollo (0865 244544)
                               3rd    Portsmouth Guildhall ( 0705 824355)
                           6th,7th    London Hammersmith Odeon (01 748 4081)

42 Hillway Billericay Essex CMII 2LS

Offline Angelinda

• Assistant
  • Damaged People
« Reply #27 on: 25 June 2012 - 02:51:55 »
1983-07-xx - NR2 (??) - Martin (6 min)

[We don't have this audio interview.]

Offline Angelinda

• Assistant
  • Damaged People
« Reply #28 on: 25 June 2012 - 02:52:21 »
1983-08-04 - Bravo (Germany) - Bei Depeche Mode fällt der Hammer

[Thanks to Milik for offering to send in this scan!]

[Converted into text using OCR:]

Bei Depeche Mode fällt der Hammer

Seit 8. Dezember bei uns au Tour

Sie sehen aus wie Models aus einem Mode Magazin — die vier Boys von Depeche Mode. Martin Gore mit seinem über den Schlafen ausrasierten blonden Lockenkopf, Andy Fletcher mit der Igel-Frisur in Blond und Erdbeerfarben (auf diese Farbbezeichnung legt er gesteigerten Werte), Alan Wilder mit dem rotbraunen Schopf und den ausdrucksvollen Augen und last but not least der modebewußte David Gahan mit dem blond-braun kurzgeschorenen Haar.
Bei seinen Klamotten achtet David auf lange Ärmel. Denn darunter versteckt er eine noch ziemlich frische Narbe am linken Unterarm. Sie stammt von einer Tatowierung, die David mit Laser entfernen ließ.
Ihren Namen haben Depeche — heißt soviel wie schnelle Mode — tatsächlich in einem Mode Magazin gefunden. Das war zu der Zeit, als David noch aufs Designer-College ging und diese Hefte zu seiner Muß-Lektüre gehörten.
Neben seiner modischen Vergangenheit — bis vor kurzem blinkte sogar ein Diamant in seinem Nasenflügel — hat David auch musikalisch ein reiches Vorleben. Bevor er zu Depeche kam, sang er sich quer durch Basildoner Bonds von Pop bis Punk.
Als Ausgleich zum „lauten“ Beruf zieht’s David im Privatleben an die heimischen Gewässer zum Fischen. „Mein Rekord war ein Zwölfpfünder, ich werfe die Fische hinterher wieder ins Wasser“.
Gitarrist Andy Fletcher, er ist gelernter Versicherungsmann, stieg mit 16 in seiner ersten Band ein. Sonntags sang er brav mit Vince Clark im Basildoner Kirchenchor und gründete mit ihm 1979 Depeche Mode. Trotzdem dachte Andy nie daran, daraus einen Beruf zu machen. Privat schmökert er am liebsten in Geschichtsbüchern.
Keyboardmann Alan Wilder kommt aus der „klassischen Ecke“. Mit acht bekam er wie seine älteren Brüder Stephen (31, Sänger und Pianist) und Andrew (29, Musiklehrer) Klavierunterricht. An seinen ersten großen öffentlichen Auftritt mit „The Drunkeness“ erinnert sich Alan mit Schrecken. Er fand in einem Club in Bristol vor 20 (!) Leuten statt...
Auch Depeche-Songschreiber Martin Gore wollte schon immer Musiker werden. Aus Vernunft- und Geldgründen hat er allerdings eine Banklehre in London absolviert. Auch privat beschäftigt sich Martin am liebsten mit Musik („Meine Plattensammlung geht querbeet“). Spaß macht ihm auch ein verzwicktes Videospiel.
Margit Rüdiger

Wumm
Der „Hammerman“ schlägt auf dem Cover der aktuellen Depeche-LP „Construction Time Again“ zu

[Translation by me:]

The hammer falls at Depeche Mode

Since the 8th of December on tour at us

They look like models from a fashion magazine - the four boys of Depeche Mode. Martin Gore with his blond curly hair which has been shaved at the temples, Andy Fletcher with his hedgehog in blond and strawberry-red (he puts more value on this colour name), Alan Wilder with the redbrown hairdo and the expressive eyes and "last but not least" the fashion conscious David Gahan with the blond-brown short-shaven hair.
With his clothes, David Gahan pays attention to long sleeves. Because underneath, he hides a still recent scar on his left lower arm. It is from a tattoo, which David got removed with a laser.
They found the name Depeche Mode - which means so much as fast fashion - actually in a fashion magazine. It was in the days when David still went to designer college and when this magazine belonged to his compulsory lecture.
Next to his fashion history - until recently he even had a diamond in his nostril - David also has a rich past musically. Before he came to Depeche, he also sang in other Basildon bands, from pop till punk.
As a step away from his "loud" profession, David goes fishing at quiet waters in his private life. "My record was a twelve pounder, I throw the fish back in the water somewhere further".
Guitar player Andy Fletcher, he is an educated insurance man, joined his first band at age 16. On Sundays he diligently sang in the church choir together with Vince Clarke, and in 1979 they together founded Depeche Mode. Even still, Andy never thought about making his profession out of it. In his private life he prefers digging into the history books.
Keyboard man Alan Wilder comes from the "classical corner". When he was eight he and his older brothers Stephen (31, singer and pianist) and Andrew (29, musician) got piano lessons. He recalls his first big public performance with "The Dragons" with horror. It took place in a club in Bristol in front of 20 (!) people...
Also Depeche Mode songwriter Martin Gore wanted to always become a musician. Out of practical and financial reasons he nevertheless took a bank study. Also privately, Martin occupies himself with music ("My record collection is all over the place"). He also has fun playing video games.
Margit Rüdiger

Wham
The hammer man strikes on the cover of the latest Depeche-LP "Construction Time Again"

Offline Angelinda

• Assistant
  • Damaged People
« Reply #29 on: 25 June 2012 - 02:52:51 »
1983-08-11 - BBC (UK) - Top of the Pops

Everything Counts: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ajdDeqW0ob4