Depeche Mode Television Archives Forum

Author Topic: 2015: Martin Gore's MG  (Read 21446 times)

Offline Angelinda

• Assistant
  • Damaged People
Re: 2015: Martin Gore's MG
« Reply #105 on: 18 July 2015 - 01:03:22 »
2015-07-20 - Mute - Announces new remix EP & contest

[Mexican website rocketsmusik.com published this press release prematurely, on July 17th. The press release and the upload of the stems were not published until July 20th.]

http://mute.com/mute/announces-new-remix-ep-contest

Martin L Gore
Announces new remix EP & contest
MARTIN GORE ANNOUNCES REMIX EP
CALLING FOR REMIX SUBMISSIONS

Martin Gore announces a remix EP, available on double 12” vinyl and digital October 2nd via Mute. The EP will include remixes by Andy Stott, Virgil Enzinger, and Christoffer Berg, alongside two previously unreleased tracks.

In association with BitTorrent, Martin is also launching a remix competition for the track “Featherlight.” The winning remix will be included on the digital release of Martin’s EP. See below for details on how to enter to win.

MG, released on Mute in April 2015 marks the first solo instrumental album from Depeche Mode’s Martin Gore. Described by Pitchfork as “a careful sculpting of electricity and air”, the album creates an absorbing and emotional sonic landscape.

Download the exclusive MGxMG Remix Bundle (https://bundles.bittorrent.com/bundles/mgxmg) to unlock exclusive videos and the stems to “Featherlight”. Create your own remix version, and upload it to Soundcloud. One remix will be chosen for a feature on MG’s upcoming digital EP, out October 2nd, 2015.

The deadline for submission is August 21, with a winning remix announced August 31. Grab the stems here (https://bundles.bittorrent.com/bundles/mgxmg), and post ‘em up here (https://soundcloud.com/groups/mgxmg-remix-competition).

MG is out now on Mute.

MG Remixes Tracklisting:
Europa Hymn (Andy Stott Remix)
Brink (Virgil Enzinger Remix)
Pinking (Christoffer Berg Remix)
De Nada
Gifting

Offline Angelinda

• Assistant
  • Damaged People
« Reply #106 on: 20 July 2015 - 23:06:54 »
2015-07-20 - Fast Company (US) - REMIX A NEW TRACK BY DEPECHE MODE'S MARTIN GORE WITH BITTORRENT, AND IT COULD BE ON HIS RECORD

http://www.fastcompany.com/3048771/most-creative-people/remix-a-new-track-by-depeche-modes-martin-gore-using-bittorrent-and-it-

REMIX A NEW TRACK BY DEPECHE MODE'S MARTIN GORE WITH BITTORRENT, AND IT COULD BE ON HIS RECORD
PEOPLE ARE PEOPLE. BUT YOU COULD BE A VERY SPECIAL PERSON—AND HAVE YOUR WORK FEATURED ON THE UPCOMING EP, "MG REMIXES."
BY EVIE NAGY

Between Depeche Mode albums, the iconic electronic band's co-founder and principal songwriter Martin Gore is experimenting with new ways to distribute and promote music. Following the April release of his instrumental solo album MG, Gore is holding an open contest to remix the track "Featherlight," with the winning remix appearing on a digital EP due October 2 on Mute. The stems for the track as well as bonus video content are available today as a free BitTorrent Bundle, making Gore the latest artist to use the once-maligned peer-to-peer technology to distribute multi-media content. Slash distributed a live release recently on BitTorrent.

"Remixes have always been a big part of what Depeche Mode has done, and that carries through to what I've done," says Gore, whose previous solo album was 2003's "Counterfeit." "It's also about finding innovative ways to promote the music after the album release, so it was suggested that we do a remix competition, which I think is good because it engages quite a lot of people, and maybe a slightly different audience as well. Maybe people who are into tech who might not have gone out and bought the music, but are interested in that angle and interested to hear what the music sounds like."

The music on MG certainly sounds different than what Depeche Mode fans might be familiar with. It's more atmospheric and meditative, but also leaves a lot of space for creative variation. Gore suggests selective and focused creativity, however.

"I'm very open, but I've always said over the years that for me a perfect remix has to surprise you, but at the same time, it has to have a tie to the original song," he says. "We've had quite a number of remixes done over the years that bear no relevance to the actual song whatsoever. They don't have the same tempo, they don't have any of the parts, it's just like a completely different track. Sometimes they're quite good, but for me that's not a remix."

Adding vocals isn't necessarily off limits, within reason. "I would imagine that people would keep it instrumental, but it depends on what sort of vocals," says Gore. "I can't imagine someone adding lyrics and a vocal part to it, I would be very surprised. If it was kind of like choral parts or something, I'd be open to that. If the lyrics were fantastic, maybe I'd even be open to that."

The MGxMG Remix Bundle available through BitTorrent includes a video for the track "Europa Hymn," a video interview with Gore, the full "Featherlight" track, and the "Featherlight" stems for remixing. The deadline for contestants to upload their remix to Soundcloud is August 21, with the winning remix announced August 31.

Unlike a storefront or service, BitTorrent Bundle is a download-only product that protects multimedia content behind a gate that can be unlocked for a price set by the publisher and promoted on any site or platform. The gate travels with the content as it is shared. Files are DRM-free, and the artist or publisher keeps all revenue except for transaction costs and BitTorrent's 10% cut. Like many promotion-focused bundles, MGxMG is free, but artists like Slash and filmmakers like comedian David Cross have recently used Bundle to release revenue-generating projects. The product's flexibility in pricing, marketing, and file size has helped to legitimize the BitTorrent brand, which has long been associated with the fact that the tech is popular for pirating copyrighted material.

"BitTorrent is trying to empower artists to do different things, it's a good way of getting a large file out, and I think it's a cool way to go," says Gore. "The term BitTorrent in general has such a negative connotation for a lot of people, but now it's more acceptable and legit."

As for whether Depeche Mode might try an alternative distribution avenue for their next release? "You never know," says Gore, who is only in early stages of writing new material for a follow-up to 2013's Delta Machine. "We haven't even started working on an album. We would never have spoken about it at this stage. But you never know."

2015-07-29 - Obsküre magazine (France) - Martin Gore Interview

[Thanks to KFDM from Depeche-mode.be for scanning this article!]

http://www.depeche-mode.be/magazines.html/_/2010-aujourd-hui/obskure-r1693

Offline Angelinda

• Assistant
  • Damaged People
« Reply #107 on: 10 August 2015 - 00:14:30 »
2015-08-04 - Warp (Mexico) - Martin Gore: Insight

[Thanks to Ana Soto from Depechemode.com.mx for supplying this article! This magazine had already uploaded an excerpt of this interview (with audio) on their site on April 30th: http://warp.la/warppresenta-entrevista-exclusiva-con-martin-gore-96698.]

Offline Angelinda

• Assistant
  • Damaged People
« Reply #108 on: 04 September 2015 - 22:01:34 »
2015-09-04 - Martin Gore on Facebook:

https://www.facebook.com/MartinGore/posts/934922596554057

A remix competition note from Martin:
Dear producers, musicians, singers(!), programmers et al. I am deeply humbled by the sheer number of entries and the high standards that were maintained throughout this competition. I congratulate you all!
My search to find "the ultimate winner" has been long and challenging. By Tuesday, I had narrowed my choices down to 5 and I thought that I would have a few more listens on Wednesday morning and the decision would be simple. How wrong I was!
Each of my finalists was completely different, ranging from the beautifully ambient to harder, club-friendly bangers. I could have quite easily picked any one of them and been happy with my decision. I listened over and over again until I was close to the point of delirium! How do you choose one winner from such different genres? Now I understand why awards ceremonies have different categories!
I do, however, have to pick one winner. Please remember that this process has left me on the verge of madness! If I have upset anyone, that is my excuse!
AND, the winner is————————Mantra Of Machines

https://soundcloud.com/mantraofmachines/mg-featherlight-mantra-of-machines-remix

Offline Angelinda

• Assistant
  • Damaged People
« Reply #109 on: 15 September 2015 - 01:46:16 »
2015-09-13 - P2 (Sweden) - Elektroniskt i P2 (interview with Martin)

[Transcript typed out by me.]

http://sverigesradio.se/sida/avsnitt/603916?programid=4432
https://www.depechemode-live.com/wiki/2015-09-13_Elektroniskt_i_P2,_P2,_Stockholm,_Sweden

Martin: Hello? Hi Mats.
Mats: Tell us about the creation process of 'MG'.
Martin: I actually wrote four or five of the song during the writing process for the last Depeche Mode album. With Dave and me both writing songs for the band now, we had so many actual songs written, that there just wasn't really any room for the instrumentals. So I had these four or five tracks that I liked, just sitting around, so I thought it would be an interesting concept to carry on writing instrumentals and put out a full instrumental album.
Mats: Why did you name the album 'MG'?
Martin: This project has more of an affinity, I think, with the 'VCMG' project in that it's instrumental, and it's completely electronic. That's why I wanted to carry on the 'MG' name from that project. I think it has more in common with that than with the 'Counterfeit' albums or projects that I put out before.'
Mats: What is the difference in the writing process for songs with lyrics versus instrumental songs?
Martin: I think it is obviously very different, writing instrumentals to writing songs, because, with songs, the most important things are the lyrics and the vocal melody. And then, when you come to recording the real thing, obviously, the vocal is the most important thing on the track. With an instrumental, you strip all those things away, and you somehow have to create other things to keep the listeners' interest. So it is a different discipline. But it's also quite freeing as well. I mean, I actually enjoyed the process of writing instrumentals. For me, I think music always comes a lot easier than lyrics do. I go in, knowing that there won't be any vocals. I wanted this album to be completely instrumental, I wanted it to be completely electronic. I knew that I wasn't going to pick up a guitar during the whole process, or use any real drum sounds. Yeah, so, just knowing that there are no vocals involved, you do work differently, because you're constantly trying to create little interests, little points of interest, that keep the listener interested.
Mats: What is your favourite Depeche Mode instrumental?
Martin: I do like the instrumental Stjarna, which was spelled S-T-J-A-R-N-A, I did like that one. I mean, we have put out a lot of instrumentals over the course of our career, and I've never added up how many [there are], but there are a lot.
Mats: Is 'MG' inspired by Apex Twin's Selected Works?
Martin: Yes. I mean, I like both of those albums, volumes I and II. I think they're very inspirational, especially when you're thinking about making an instrumental album. I mean, it's not like I take them into the studio as references and try to recreate anything, but I just like listening to them as pieces of art.
Mats: What about Brian Eno's ambient works?
Martin: 'Music For Airports' changed the place so much that I knew exactly when each note was coming in. And it's kind of unpredictable at times, but I used to play that so much.
Mats: What kind of soundtracks do you like?
Martin: I really like the imaginary soundtrack that Geoff Barrow put out a couple of years ago, called DROKK. That was kind of an imaginary soundtrack to a 'Judge Dredd' film. It sounds very modular to me, it sounds very '70s, almost John Carpenter-like.
Mats: Why did you not use any guitar on 'MG'?
Martin: I just felt it didn't have a place on this album. I wanted it to be very electronic, and have this kind of, like, sci-fi-feel. And the moment you put a guitar on a track, you immediately pull back into this reality. People immediately associate a guitar with something that's present, and "now", whereas synths can be far more imaginative.

Offline Angelinda

• Assistant
  • Damaged People
« Reply #110 on: 15 September 2015 - 01:46:45 »
2015-09-14 - HOME - MG to release a brand new 5-track double 12"

http://www.depeche-mode.com/2015/09/14/mg-to-new-5-track-12/

MG to release a brand new 5-travk double 12"

MG will release a brand new 5 track double 12″ EP on 9th October featuring two brand new tracks not featured on the critically acclaimed album plus three brand new mixes.

The album’s focus track, ‘Europa Hymn’, gets the Andy Stott treatment whilst album highlight ‘Pinking’ is remixed by Martin / Depeche collaborator Christoffer Berg. The final remix comes from Virgil Enzinger for the track ‘Brink’.

Tracks
SIDE A
1 Europa Hymn (Andy Scott Remix)

SIDE B
1 Brink (Virgil Enzinger Remix Vinyl Edit)
2 Pinking (Christoffer Berg Remix)

SIDE C
1 De Nada

SIDE D
1 Gifting

http://www.mutebank.co.uk/mutebank/mutebank/MG-EP/4VRU0000000

Offline Angelinda

• Assistant
  • Damaged People
« Reply #111 on: 08 October 2015 - 21:54:48 »
2015-10-08 - Mute Records on Facebook:

https://www.facebook.com/muterecords/posts/10156083753405510

Take a listen to 'De Nada,' the astral, thumping bonus track from Martin L Gore's forthcoming ‪#‎MG‬ EP out Friday, October 9th.
The #MG EP is available for pre-order now on a two 12" vinyl set or digital bundle. Featuring three remixes from the album "MG", plus two bonus tracks including 'De Nada'. Order MG EP from iTunes, and you'll receive Featherlight (Mantra Of Machines Remix) FREE!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0yyGrMgYBIc

Offline Angelinda

• Assistant
  • Damaged People
« Reply #112 on: 14 October 2015 - 22:09:01 »
2015-10-14 - Written In Music (Netherlands) - MARTIN L. GORE SLUIT MG-BOEK MET REMIX EP

http://www.writteninmusic.com/electronic/martin-gore-sluit-mg-boek-met-remix-ep/lang/nl/

MARTIN L. GORE SLUIT MG-BOEK MET REMIX EP
Door Edgar Kruize

Regelmaat, dat is hetgeen Depeche Mode als band op de been houdt, zo stelt hun voornaamste componist Martin L. Gore. Dat betekent ook dat de band sinds de voor hen uitermate turbulente jaren ’90 keurig elke vier jaar een album uitbrengt. Daar kan je de klok op gelijk zetten. “En in dat kleine stukje dat we tussen de laatste show van een tournee en de eerste opnamedata voor een nieuw album vrij hebben, kunnen we ons eigen ding doen”, zo vertelt Gore vanuit zijn huis in Santa Barbara.

Zijn collega, Depeche Mode-frontman Dave Gahan, heeft de pauze gebruikt om een nieuwe samenwerking aan te gaan met Soulsavers. Andere collega Andy Fletcher doet af en toe een klus als DJ, maar laat zich verder vrij weinig zien. In het geval van Martin L. Gore betekende de vrije periode in de nasleep van Depeche Mode’s Delta Machine-album de release van instrumentaal werk onder de MG-vlag. Eerder dit jaar kwam het volledig instrumentale MG-album uit. Deze week verscheen daarvan het laatste hoofdstuk, MG Remix EP. Deze voegt de overgebleven tracks van de MG-sessies samen met enkele remixen en is uit op cd en 2×12” vinyl. Een digitale versie op de diverse streamingplatforms bevat nog een additionele remixtrack.

WiM: De digitale editie MG Remix EP wordt afgesloten met de track Featherlight in de Mantra Of Machines Remix, een nummer dat middels een remixwedstrijd tot stand kwam. In het proces van inzendingen heb je diverse versies online laten horen en die klinken verrassend veelzijdig. Heeft die diversiteit je verbaasd?
Gore: “Wat me vooral verbaasd heeft is het enorme aantal inzendingen dat ik heb ontvangen en daar bovenop het vele werk dat mensen in de remix hebben gestoken. De meeste deelnemers hebben het project heel serieus opgevat. In alle eerlijkheid, met die vele inzendingen heb ik bij het uitschrijven van die wedstrijd geen rekening gehouden. Toen ik stelde dat ik alles zelf zou beluisteren en beoordelen, dacht ik dat er enkele tientallen zouden binnenkomen. Ik heb uiteindelijk letterlijk dagenlang zitten luisteren en op een gegeven moment werd ik echt helemaal gek van mijn eigen nummer. Hoewel het muzikaal alle kanten op ging, hebben de meesten de belangrijkste riff in het nummer wel intact gelaten. Voorlopig ben ik wel even helemaal klaar met Featherlight.”

WiM: Als je zo veel verschillende versies van hetzelfde basismateriaal hoort, leer je daar als componist iets van over je eigen werk?
Gore: “Ik weet niet zozeer of ik er wat van heb geleerd. Ik vond het boven alles heel interessant dat een basisidee kennelijk in zo vreselijk veel verschillende genres kan werken. Tegelijk was dat ook het lastigste, want ik zat appels met peren te vergelijken. Er was één ambientversie, bijna Brian Eno-achtig. Lange tijd heb ik gedacht ‘ik ga gewoon daarvoor’, omdat die versie heel erg zijn eigen sfeer had. Het punt was dat ik bij elke keus die ik maakte heel veel mensen zou gaan teleurstellen. Zowel inzenders van mixen die ik niet koos, als muziekfans die de remix niks vinden. Ook daar had ik vooraf niet bij stilgestaan. Terugkijkend wil ik de wedstrijd zeker wel een succes noemen, maar ik weet niet of ik het nogmaals ga doen.”

WiM: Als je geen honderden remixen aan het beluisteren bent, waar luister je dan naar en wat beïnvloedt je voor je solo-werk?
Gore: “Ik luister op dagelijkse basis enorm veel muziek van anderen. Te veel om specifieke namen te noemen. Ik ben gewoon een liefhebber en sta open voor alle soorten muziek. Ik luister heel veel naar nieuwe artiesten, veel naar elektronische muziek, maar ook naar veel meer niet-elektronische muziek dan men zou vermoeden. Ik absorbeer continu en onbewust zal daar zeker wel iets van doorsijpelen in mijn eigen muziek. Maar ik ga nooit de studio in met de gedachte ‘nu moet ik zo of zo gaan klinken’. Dat werkt voor mij niet. Ik heb gewerkt met muzikanten die de studio in gaan en dan de hele dag een andere band op hebben staan om in die zelfde sfeer te kunnen musiceren. Dat is mij veel te direct.”

WiM: De MG Remix EP is een appendix op het eerder dit jaar verschenen MG-album. Wat mij daaraan is opgevallen, is dat het echt een collectie instrumentale liedjes is geworden. Dit waar veel andere instrumentale albums vaak voortborduren op één thema of één geluid.
Gore: Dat is ook exact de bedoeling geweest. Veel artiesten zeggen dat ze een instrumentaal album benaderen als de soundtrack voor een niet bestaande film. Dan krijg je dat tracks thematisch aansluiten. Ik wilde er ook een soort soundtrack van maken, maar dan een soundtrack voor een film die uit heel veel verschillende soorten scènes is opgebouwd. Als ik bijvoorbeeld aan een nummer werkte dat een ambient geluid had, schreef ik in mijn achterhoofd al een volledig contrasterend uptempo nummer dat daar op most volgen. Het project moest boven alles voor mezelf interessant blijven.”

WiM: Voor Depeche Mode heb je in de loop der jaren ook al een flink aantal instrumentale tracks geschreven, wat is het voornaamste verschil als je voor jezelf instrumentaal werkt?
Gore: “In feite is dit album een voortzetting van de Depeche Mode instrumentaaltjes. Binnen de band ben ik niet meer de enige schrijver, sinds Dave ook de pen heeft opgepakt. Een aantal tracks die op MG terecht zijn gekomen, waren aanvankelijk voor Delta Machine bedoeld. Bonustracks voor de deluxe edition, of als b-kantje. Maar we hadden gewoonweg te veel materiaal. Een vriend opperde om eens een instrumentaal album te maken. Dat veranderde alles, want vanuit die mindset ben ik heel anders naar de overgebleven nummers gaan kijken. Toen ik definitief besloot inderdaad een instrumentaal album te gaan maken, kwam ook de beslissing om het muzikaal zo breed mogelijk te trekken.”

WiM: Naar verluidt zit je als je niet op tournee bent elke dag in de studio. Dat moet veel materiaal opleveren dat niemand hoort. Heb je nooit overwogen eens voor een ander dan jezelf of Depeche Mode te schrijven?
Gore: “De band gaat voor alles, ik zou nooit specifiek voor een ander schrijven. De band is en blijft de belangrijkste uitlaatklep voor mijn werk. Het feit dat ik dagelijks in de studio zit, betekent overigens niet automatisch dat ik ook een enorme berg werk voortbreng. Eerder het omgekeerde. Aan het eind van de MG-schrijfsessies had ik slechts twee nummers over; De Nada en Gifting. Die staan nu op de nieuwe EP. Meer is er gewoonweg niet. Momenteel zit ik in het schrijfproces voor het volgende Depeche Mode-album. Hou ik daar nog iets van over, wie weet komt dat dan weer op een solo-album. Maar dat zien we dan wel weer.”

WiM: Wat doe je dan de hele dag in de studio als je niet veel materiaal schrijft?
Gore: “Ik werk langzaam en ben heel kritisch. Ik gooi extreem veel weg. Soms zit je twee weken elke dag uren te rotzooien met een track en voelt het niet goed genoeg. Dan is het zonde van die twee weken, maar dan wis ik alle tapes en ga ik iets anders doen.”

WiM: Veel artiesten redeneren ongetwijfeld ‘ik heb er nu zo veel tijd in zitten, ik maak het af ook’…
Gore: “Ik vind dat de domste fout die je kan maken. Dat betekent dat je blind een pad inslaat en dat koste wat kost wil volgen. Soms heb ik ineens een helder moment en realiseer ik me dat wat ik aan het maken ben absoluut prutswerk is. ‘Wat heb ik de afgelopen weken in hemelsnaam gedaan?!’ Materiaal weggooien waar je veel tijd in hebt zitten blijft uiteraard lastig, maar het besef dat hetgeen je doet mogelijk het slechtste kan zijn dat je ooit uitbracht, maakt het minder moeilijk.”

WiM: Je noemde net al de term ‘soundtrack’. Is het maken van een filmscore niets voor jou? Jouw instrumentale werk zou in veel gevallen ook nu al prima onder een film passen.
Gore: “Daar heb je die timing weer die mijn leven bepaalt. Ik zou het best willen, dat vooropgesteld. Maar we zitten met de cyclus van de band en die laat zich maar lastig combineren met dat soort grootschalige projecten. Films houden er doorgaans een heel andere agenda op na en hebben vaak een heel grillig tijdspad. Ik zou me er niet aan durven verbinden als het risico bestaat dat daarmee de Depeche Mode-agenda in de war raakt. Maar als de juiste film zich op het juiste moment aandient en het zou passen in dat kleine gaatje tussen het einde van een tournee en de start van de opnames van een nieuw album, sta ik daar zeker voor open.”

WiM: Is MG Remix EP het einde van je werk onder de MG-vlag?
Gore: “Wat mij betreft wel ja. Het is een mooie cyclus op deze manier en we hebben er alles uitgehaald wat er in zat. Het is tijd om dit project nu weer achter me te laten. Als gezegd ben ik momenteel weer aan het schrijven voor Depeche Mode. Dat heeft op dit moment alle prioriteit. Begin volgend jaar gaan we weer met zijn drieën de studio in om aan ons volgende album te werken. Daarna volgen de rehearsals, dan een tournee, dat is de agenda waarlangs we werken en waarbinnen we ons prettig voelen. Wat daarna volgt, dat zie ik tegen die tijd wel. Het mooie van de positie waarin wij zitten, is dat er een legio aan opties is. Niets moet, de weg ligt open. Dat voelt erg comfortabel.”

WiM: Dus over een paar jaar zou er wellicht weer een derde Counterfeit-album van jouw hand kunnen verschijnen?
Gore: “Wie weet… Maar vind je niet dat het veel leuker is om het publiek en mezelf te verrassen met iets wat ik nog nooit gedaan heb en waarvan niemand nu nog weet wat het gaat worden?”

Offline Angelinda

• Assistant
  • Damaged People
« Reply #113 on: 02 December 2015 - 03:48:21 »
2015-10-28 - Visions nr. 272 (Germany) - "Die Welt hat sich verändert"

[Bought by me, scanned by Stay Depeched.]

Offline Angelinda

• Assistant
  • Damaged People
« Reply #114 on: 04 December 2015 - 02:27:34 »
2015-11-12 - Synthetics nr.98 (Germany) - Martin Gore interview

[Bought by me, scanned by Stay Depeched, will be here soon.]

Offline Angelinda

• Assistant
  • Damaged People
« Reply #115 on: 12 December 2015 - 22:55:26 »
2015-11-26 - Rock & All (Czech Republic) - Diagnóza: Depešák

[Many thanks to Recoil.cz from Recoil.cz for scanning this article for this forum! Please note that this articles uses the interview by Marcel Anders which several media have used before.]

http://www.rockandall.cz/office/obsah-prosincoveho-cisla-magazinu-rockall/

Diagnóza: Depešák
Exkluzivní rozhovor s MARTINEM GOREM a především DAVIDEM GAHANEM k nové desce jeho projektu SOULSAVERS

Offline Angelinda

• Assistant
  • Damaged People
« Reply #116 on: 12 December 2015 - 23:14:45 »
2015-12-01 - Philosophie magazine (France) - Maître et serviteur

[Thanks to KFDM for scanning this for Depeche-mode.be!]

http://www.philomag.com/les-idees/les-questionnaires-de-socrate/martin-gore-maitre-et-serviteur-13016
Photo of the same article in German: www.facebook.com/depechemode.ch/photos/a.184285565034834.41635.183844798412244/783448211785230/?type=3&permPage=1

Questionnaire de Socrate
Martin Gore
Maître et serviteur
Sylvain Fesson

On lui doit certaines des plus grandes chansons de ces dernières années. Oui, chansons. Oui, à lui. Car derrière les beats électroniques et l’organe de Dave Gahan, c’est bien Martin Gore le maître d’œuvre de Depeche Mode. Avec ses visions, ses angoisses. Qu’il dévoile parfois seul, comme en témoigne MG, son troisième album solo sorti en avril sur le label Mute. Tout comme le dernier Depeche Mode il y a deux ans, ce recueil d’instrumentaux industriels et ambient le rattache à “la musique alternative”. Un pied dans le système, un pied en dehors. Comme lui ?

Quel est votre démon ?
Ça a été l’alcool mais ça fait neuf ans que j’ai arrêté et remis de l’ordre dans cette vie, ce sera toujours ça de moins à faire dans la prochaine !

Le combat dont vous êtes le plus fier ?
D’avoir, avec Depeche Mode, rendu la musique électronique acceptable et populaire. À nos débuts, beaucoup n’y voyaient qu’une vaste blague.

De quoi vous accuse-t-on ?
D’avoir arboré les pires looks dans les années 1980 ! À l’époque, tout le monde avait l’air stupide mais je dois reconnaître que j’avais la palme !

Quelle est la question qui vous tourmente ?
Celle de la croyance. Et je suppose que ça s’entend dans toutes les chansons que j’ai écrites. J’aime l’idée de Dieu et la spiritualité mais je suis aussi quelqu’un de rationnel, qui s’en remet à la science.

Le penseur qui vous accompagne ?
Ray Kurzweil, même si je le trouve trop douteux dans son refus de voir la mort en face. Il pense qu’on aura la vie éternelle en 2029 grâce aux progrès de la médecine et de la technologie.

Que retenez-vous de votre éducation ?
La seule chose qui me vient à l’esprit, ce sont les cours de français et d’allemand. Ça m’a aidé à penser différemment en me faisant relativiser ma propre langue et en créant d’autres tiroirs dans ma tête.

Votre mot favori ?
« Eunoia ». Je ne sais plus trop ce qu’il veut dire [la bienveillance d’un orateur pour son public], mais c’est aussi le titre d’un livre que l’on m’a offert [une anthologie du poète canadien Christian Bök] et je l’ai trouvé intéressant. C’est le plus petit mot anglais rassemblant toutes les voyelles.

Ce que vous placez au-dessus du plaisir ?
Les vrais problèmes du monde, j’aime y être impliqué.

L’idée reçue qui vous blesse ?
L’idée de justice. Ce mot est partout galvaudé. Or il n’y a pas vraiment de justice dans ce monde.

Votre secret pour corrompre la jeunesse ?
La pop. Tu peux tout mettre dans une pop song, tant que tu l’inscris dans une bonne mélodie. Alors tu peux chanter ou faire chanter les pires saloperies !

De quoi n’avez-vous pas encore accouché ?
De quelque chose qui résoudrait un peu ce problème de justice dans le monde.

Offline Angelinda

• Assistant
  • Damaged People
« Reply #117 on: 03 January 2016 - 02:16:59 »
2015-12-03 - Synthetics magazine (Germany) - Depeche Mode: The Synthetics Years 7

[Thanks to Anne for scanning this for this forum!]

Offline Angelinda

• Assistant
  • Damaged People
« Reply #118 on: 14 February 2016 - 18:40:39 »
2016-01-05 - Sonic Seducer Jahresrückblick (Germany) - Gospel Im Weltraum

[Thanks to KFDM for scanning this for Depeche-mode.be.]