Depeche Mode Television Archives Forum

Author Topic: 2017: Spirit and Global Spirit Tour  (Read 42936 times)

Offline Angelinda

• Assistant
  • Damaged People
Re: 2017: Spirit and Global Spirit Tour
« Reply #345 on: 18 March 2017 - 04:09:10 »
2017-03-17 - Mode 2 Joy (Poland) - Interview with Charles Duff (MATRIXXMAN)

http://mode2joy.pl/2017/03/17/interview-with-charles-duff-matrixxman-keyboard-programmer-for-depeche-modes-new-album-spirit/

Interview with Charles Duff (MATRIXXMAN) – keyboard programmer for Depeche Mode’s new album – „Spirit”
Posted by Karolleks

„Sure thing” Charles said to us, when we poke him once upon time via Twitter asking for the interview. And this is it! Karolleks doing the inteview with Matrixxman brings us behind the curtain of the Spirit – 14th depeche MODE album, which is out today.

BEFORE SPIRIT
Karolleks: I just want to add that we thank you a lot for your kind will to do that interview with us. It is really highly appreciated!
Matrixxman: It’s my pleasure Karol. Glad I can be of service to you 🙂

Karolleks: How did you end up working with Depeche? Is it something you always wanted to do or just got an offer and went along with it?
Matrixxman: I am still not quite certain how this all came about. I suppose there were a number of candidates for this particular position and for whatever reason Martin seemed to like my stuff. Truth be told, the offer came at a time when my own techno career started to really pick up so it was hilarious timing-wise. I had also just moved to Berlin and was in the midst of heavy touring in Europe and then the phone call from Martin came. For a brief moment I was worried about having to cancel DJ gigs (as in, would there be repercussions? Might I piss some people off? Etc.) but I rather quickly came to my senses and realized it was worth it no matter what the cost to my own career was. It turned out to be one of the most crazy adventures of my life thus far.

Karolleks: Did you know Depeche well before? Any particular album/song that is your favorite?
Matrixxman: I hadn’t thought I would ever have the chance to work with a band like them, to be honest. The whole thing kind of blindsided me. I was certainly a fan before this all happened. My favourite album would undoubtedly be Violator. My favourite song would be a tie between Behind the Wheel and Shake the Disease. I find myself coming back to that album more frequently than I’d like to admit.  ;)

Karolleks: How much do the demos differ from the final versions?
Matrixxman: Contrary to what I heard of some of the previous producers, James had a special reverence for the vibe of the original demos and worked hard to keep that core energy intact. Some of the tunes took sharp turns but more or less, I’d say many of them were already so strong as demos they didn’t need a ton of work. Gore has his finger on the pulse, so to speak. Virtually all of the beats and sounds he came up with entirely on his own were cool as hell. Far cooler than what most of my peers.

Karolleks: Was there any particular song that the band struggled with and that took much more time for them to get it finished?
Matrixxman: Hmm. Cover Me required some quality time. Maybe there were some others but this one stands out in my mind. This particular track Dave wrote initially. He was adamant that we should all try to get busy and „fuck it up” as the kids would say. At first I had a tough time coming up with compelling things for this tune but Dave did a great job of urging us to get weird and creative. James did some really cool tweaking of the voicing of the chords which helped push it in a darker direction. I came up with a sort of Pink Floyd-ish arpeggiated synth pattern that I hummed to Martin and we set about making that. Kurt worked his synth magic as well. Next thing you know, all of the contributions really brought the track to life. It took on this eerie, cinematic quality that wasn’t previously present.

Karolleks: Were there any more songs that never made it to the album/deluxe version ? If so, how many of them?
Matrixxman: Yes. There were a few indeed. Can’t recall how many exactly but there were a couple at least.

Karolleks: Were they finished songs ? Or just eliminated at the very beginning (at demo stage)? Did you start working with them, but they never got finished ? Do you have any idea if the band is planning to release them separately (as b-sides or some extras)?
Matrixxman: There were a few demos that were gorgeous but didn’t make the cut for some reason. I think the basis for the album had already been roughly fleshed out so new candidates weren’t being brought to the table any longer. We never even got a chance to start on them. I legitimately have no clue what their plans are for those remaining tunes but if I had to say, they might never see the light of day.

Karolleks: What was the biggest obstacle while programming the keyboards and during the production of Spirit overall?
Matrixxman: Well, for starters I had never used modular synths AT ALL before this album. Lol. And then my ass walks into the studio and I’m confronted with wall to wall modular synths. I remember thinking to myself „Holy shit. What on earth am I going to do?” It worked out though. I am quite comfortable with your traditional synth keyboards; I know my synthesis architecture and sound design reasonably well so ultimately it didn’t prove to be too problematic. A little bit of messing around before the studio sessions started helped out immensely. But damn if I wasn’t mortified at first.

Karolleks: Did you have any contribution to working with vocals? Among the reviews around the world, people noticed that Dave’s vocals are mostly filtered (meaning it’s not a clear pure vocal, there’s always some effect added). And while in Scum it just seems to be intentional for the way it sounds, what was the reason to do that for other songs ? Did Dave have any difficulty with tuning his voice, or it was just an idea how the vocals should be done on this record? Whose idea was it? It seems like it’s one of the things that reviews are not to happy about on this album.
Matrixxman: I didn’t personally work with the vocals at all during the album but in reference to Scum, I’m pretty sure Martin’s original demo had heavily distorted vocals on it. So that would explain why Dave’s vocals had the same treatment on that particular tune. Dave gave exceptional vocal deliveries in the studio. His takes were damn near flawless from my perspective so I can only assume that any effects on the vocals were Dave and Martin’s choice or perhaps informed by James.

Karolleks: Spirit seems to be a lot more different if it comes to length of the songs on this record. Namely, this album is significantly shorter in total than it’s precedents, although the number of songs stays the same. Was it the original idea of the band or did James Ford have an influence on it ?
Matrixxman:  That’s a good question. I believe James kind of reached a point where he felt the album was more or less done and it seemed intuitively like the right move for him. Not sure how much communication took place between him and the band.

Karolleks: Was there any particular order on which of the songs were you guys working ? Did you work a little on each songs all the time, or did you just got one song finished and moved to another?
Matrixxman: We were working on one song at a time mostly. I can’t recall how the order was dictated. Occasionally we would go back to another older song but it was a fairly linear process in which we were focusing on one song usually.

Karolleks: Whose idea the coda of Cover Me was? Did Dave’s demo include that or did you come up with this in the studio? It’s a very interesting and I must say – amazing piece of music.
Matrixxman: The coda was either James‚ or Dave’s doing but creatively speaking, it was an amalgamation of everyone’s talent then and there. I’m happy that the arpeggio thing I contributed helped tie it together. Kurt came up some epic synth stuff as well.

Karolleks: Was there any idea of yours that the band didn’t want to go along with and you thought of it as a big mistake?
Matrixxman: I wanted to do some super 80s style drums on one tune or another, and it got shot down ultimately. I get it though; they lived through the 80s so they’ve already been there and done that. I was just following my impulses  to do something very retro at that moment. But it’s cool. I respect their opinion.

Karolleks: When you guys were working in the studio, there were rumors around the world that Peter Gordeno and Christian Eigner have contributed into your work in the studio. Is that true ? If yes, which songs did they work on with the band ? It is known that they worked on Dave’s demos for this album.
Matrixxman: I have no clue actually. They could have been involved but I’m not sure.

Karolleks: What is your personal favorite on this album?
Matrixxman: Eternal. It’s so dark and chilling. It makes me want to cry.

Karolleks: To what extent did Andy Fletcher contribute to the creative part of the album ? How would you describe his contribution to the band in the studio?
Matrixxman: He would suggest we try a different key or perhaps speed up or slow down a song. He would make this suggestion frequently. He did have a good perspective with regard to the overall „vibes” of the tunes and would know when something needed more work or if it was good as is. Andy was also the only one who would hang out with us in the evenings so we enjoyed many a night with him after the long studio sessions. At times of frustration he actually provided a great boost in morale for the team I think.

Karolleks: Was there anything significantly different/special that you noticed when working with Depeche comparing to other bands and artists?
Matrixxman: Yeah, they’re simply brilliant geniuses. It was an exceptionally fun yet creatively challenging experience. Most of my other studio sessions I’ve done previously kind of pale in comparison, which is understandable.

Karolleks: What do you think of Depeche Mode live? (the sound, show, performance in total). Have you ever been to a Depeche Modeconcert before and are you going to any of Depeche shows during the upcoming Global Spirit tour ? Did you see them rehearsing ?
Matrixxman: Never seen them live! I would love to catch them one day. I may have seen them briefly rehearsing one night.  ;)

Karolleks: How do you like Spirit overall ? What in your opinion are the pros and cons of this album ?
Matrixxman: I am very proud of it. It’s cons would only be that I would have liked to have more songs on the album but that was not my decision.

AFTER SPIRIT
Karolleks: And lastly, what are your plans for the future? Any new projects? Is there any chance for you to be supporting DM on the upcoming tour? Would you be willing to work with Depeche again?
Matrixxman: I have left the world of DM to return back to my dark techno lair. Just released a couple 12″ EPs and there is a bunch more on the way. I will not be touring with DM but if you happen to reside in Europe I’ll be playing some cool festivals this summer like Dekmantel, and of course, Berghain now and again.
For the time being I am just releasing my own music at the moment but who knows what the future has in store. It would be an honour to work with DM again (and perhaps even in the capacity of a producer) should the opportunity present itself.  :)
2017-06-30: Photobucket has disabled external image hosting, all scans will have to be re-uploaded on another site.

Offline Angelinda

• Assistant
  • Damaged People
« Reply #346 on: 18 March 2017 - 04:14:00 »
2017-03-17 - The Scottish Sun (UK) - DEPECHE MODE'S TOUT HITBACK

https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/tvandshowbiz/736377/depeche-mode-glasgow-bbc-6-music-festival-touts/

DEPECHE MODE'S TOUT HITBACK
Electronica legends Depeche Mode battling ticket touts ahead of Glasgow BBC 6 Music Festival gig
The group, who will headline the event later this month, have spoken out against punters being ripped off
By John Dingwall

DEPECHE MODE are taking on the ticket touts ahead of their Glasgow gig later this month.
They’re one of dozens of acts participating at the BBC 6 Music Festival, being held across the city.
And tickets for their headline Barrowland show on March 26 sold within minutes after touts used ‘bots’ to buy in bulk.
The briefs, originally £31.80 including booking fee, were relisted moments later on secondary sites moments later for up to £900 plus VAT and charges.
Speaking as the band took time out from rehearsals in New York, Depeche Mode’s Martin Gore, 55, said: “We heard about the touts. It’s a shame. We have just put the American tour on sale and we have new tactics to try to get around the touts.
“Fans can sign up to get in a queue and they can get further ahead in the queue if they share the links on social media.
“They get a big jump in the queue if they buy the album. There is nothing to stop a tout doing that, but we get everyone’s information and track it and I think it will help to cut down touting in the future.
“Touts are everywhere now and anything that can be done to stop ticket touts is good.”
The BBC 6 Music Festival has been plagued by touts ripping off honest fans.
Tickets for Goldfrapp at the city’s O2 Academy, were £220, a 633 per cent mark-up on the £30 face value.
And the problem of touts and fake tickets has extended beyond the festival.
We told you yesterday how an Emeli Sande fan was turned away from a concert after being duped into buying fake tickets online.
Scores of people were told to go home from Usher Hall last night after it was revealed up to 150 unsuspecting fans had bought counterfeit tickets.
Gore has revealed he’s looking forward to performing in Glasgow as part of the festival.
And he revealed that it’s been a long time coming playing in the famous venue.
He said: “We are looking forward to playing the show at Glasgow Barrowlands. It will be the first time we’ve played there since 1984.
“We’re doing a small warm up show in Berlin and then it is that one. It will be nice to play a smaller place and I’m sure there will be a rabid fan base there.”
And the group have opened up on their new album Spirit, the death of David Bowie and what they think about the rise of Donald Trump.
2017-06-30: Photobucket has disabled external image hosting, all scans will have to be re-uploaded on another site.

Offline Angelinda

• Assistant
  • Damaged People
« Reply #347 on: 18 March 2017 - 04:15:18 »
2017-03-17 - El Universal (Spain) - Depeche Mode espera hacer pensar un poco con su nuevo álbum

http://www.eluniversal.com/noticias/musica/depeche-mode-espera-hacer-pensar-poco-con-nuevo-album_644225

Depeche Mode espera hacer pensar un poco con su nuevo álbum
El melancólico trío británico de música electrónica reapareció este mes con su primer material en cuatro años

El nuevo álbum de Depeche Mode comienza con la funesta advertencia de que estamos yendo hacia atrás como sociedad. Las cosas caen rápidamente en picada a partir de ahí.
''Spirit'' nos dice que nos han estado engañando y propone una revolución, condena a todo el mundo de traición y exhorta a la escoria egoísta a que torne las armas hacia sí. Y eso solo en la primera canción.
''Primero y principal, queríamos hacer un álbum divertido'', dice impávido el compositor principal, Martin Gore, antes de acotar que ''eso es un chiste''.
El melancólico trío británico de música electrónica reapareció este mes con su primer material en cuatro años y el momento no podría ser más oportuno. Las 12 nuevas canciones parecen la banda sonora perfecta para un mundo sacudido por el Brexit y Donald Trump.
''Resulta un poco duro de escuchar'', reconoce el cantante principal Dave Gahan. ''Mira, esto es lo que hacemos. Se trata de crear estas atmósferas con el mundo en que vivimos como telón de fondo''.
Con ''Spirit'' la banda continúa su evolución en el rock alternativo bajo la nueva guía del productor James Ford, quien ha trabajado con Florence and the Machine y los Arctic Monkeys.
El integrante Andy Fletcher dijo que Ford, quien también tocó la batería en muchos de los temas, logró ''refrescarnos un poco''. Las canciones están repletas de sintetizadores y fuertes ganchos y exploran de todo, desde el efecto de filtración de la riqueza desde las capas sociales más altas hasta las más bajas la economía hasta los corazones rotos.
Gore, que participó en nueve de las canciones, dijo que el álbum podría sonar como una reacción a la situación política y cultural actual pero que de hecho fue escrito en la segunda mitad del 2015 y principios del 2016.
''El mundo estaba en un caos entonces y eso me deprimía mucho. Sentí que no podía sencillamente ignorarlo. Si iba a escribir y ser honesto conmigo mismo tenía que enfrentarlo'', dijo.
''Quería decir que siento que perdimos un poco nuestro rumbo, que la humanidad ha perdido su camino espiritual. ... No hablo de ninguna denominación específica, hablo en un sentido general y, al señalar eso, quizás lleve a la gente a pensar un poco''.
Depeche Mode saldrá en agosto de gira por Estados Unidos mezclando las nuevas canciones con éxitos del pasado, que incluyen ''I Feel You'' y ''Walking In My Shoes''.
''Trato de buscar canciones de otros discos que estén relacionadas con lo que estamos haciendo ahora'', dijo Gahan, quien señaló que ''Everything Counts'' encajaría muy bien con las nuevas piezas. ''Con suerte, habrá un par de pequeñas sorpresas''.
Depeche Mode fue parte de una ola de bandas electrónicas británicas que llegaron a Estados Unidos en los 80, con canciones alegres como ''Just Can't Get Enough''. Maduraron con temas más filosos de contenido social, como ''People Are People'' y ''Blasphemous Rumours'', antes de alcanzar gran éxito en los 90 con ''Violator'', que incluyó los sencillos ''Personal Jesus'', ''Enjoy the Silence'' y ''Policy of Truth''.

Offline Angelinda

• Assistant
  • Damaged People
« Reply #348 on: 18 March 2017 - 04:19:27 »
2017-03-17 - RBB (Germany) - ZIBB

http://www.rbb-online.de/zibb/archiv/20170317_1830/depeche-mode.html

Exklusives Konzert und neues Album
Live beim Streetgig von Depeche Mode

Weltpremiere in Berlin: Eines der Urgesteine der Popgeschichten kommt am Freitag nach Berlin. Depeche Mode sind seit 35 Jahren erfolgreich, bringen ihr neues Album "Spirit" heraus und spielen es in einem intimen Konzert im Funkhaus Nalepastraße den Fans vor.
Tickets gab es zur Verlosung nur für eingefleischte Fans. Wir haben diese vor dem Konzert getroffen, geben einen kleinen Eindruck vom aktuellen und früheren Schaffen von Depeche Mode und haben ein Interview mit den Stars geführt.
Beitrag von Corinna Meyer und Catarina Zanner

Offline Angelinda

• Assistant
  • Damaged People
« Reply #349 on: 18 March 2017 - 04:26:51 »
2017-03-17 - SWR2 (Germany) - Kultur Info

http://www.swr.de/swr2/kultur-info/spirit-von-depeche-mode/-/id=9597116/did=19204242/nid=9597116/2hs6w3/

Düsterer Elektro-Rock in politisch unruhigen Zeiten
"Spirit" das neue Album von Depeche Mode
Kulturthema am 17.3.2017 von Christiane Falk

Depeche Mode gehören seit mehr als drei Jahrzehnten zu den erfolgreichsten Bands weltweit. Ihr anfänglich harmloser Synthiepop ist großen Rock- und Pophymnen mit Gitarren und elektronischen Instrumenten gewichen. Das neue Album „Spirit“ macht da keine Ausnahme. Es bietet textlich diesmal neben typischen Liebesqualen auch politische Aussagen, die lange vor dem Brexit und Trumps Amtseintritt von Dave Gahan und Martin Gore, den beiden Songschreibern der Band, formuliert wurden. Die etwas zu plakative Aufforderung der Band, sich ihrer Revolution anzuschließen, die in Wahrheit keine ist, ist jedoch der einzige Kritikpunkt unserer Musikfrau Christiane Falk.

“Where´s the revolution“, übersetzt „Wo findet die Revolution statt?“ fragen Depeche Mode auf dem neuen Album. Sänger Dave Gahan wiederholt mantrahaft: „Der Zug kommt, steigt ein, die Maschinen brummen, steigt ein!“ und beschwört den Geist herauf, der die Menschheit zusammenhalten soll. Man ist versucht, aufgrund der politisch unruhigen Zeiten, viele Songzeilen auf den Jetztzustand der USA zu beziehen, immerhin leben Sänger Dave Gahan und Gitarrist Martin Gore, die beiden Songschreiber der Band, schon lange in Amerika. Tatsächlich aber ist das Album vor den Wahlen fertig aufgenommen worden, auch der Brexit war noch nicht abzusehen. Rechtspopulismus und soziale Ungerechtigkeiten scheinen auch schon Motor gewesen zu sein, dass die neuen Depeche Mode Songs politischer klingen, als man das von ihnen gewohnt ist.

„Going backwards“, aber gib dich nicht geschlagen
Depeche Mode stellen fest, wie sich die Welt verändert. Dass die modernen Technologien uns mitnichten nur voran bringen, vielmehr schaufelten wir so unsere eigenen Gräber und entwickelten uns zu Höhlenmenschen zurück, heißt es etwa in „Going backwards“. Die Band ruft dazu auf, sich nicht geschlagen zu geben und gegen negative Entwicklungen anzukämpfen. Lösungen aber liefert sie keine, erklärt in Interviews, das Album handle von Menschlichkeit und der Sorge, in welch abscheulicher Welt die jüngere Generationen fortan leben müsse. Musikalisch verpacken sie diese Themen in Pop- und Rocksongs mit viel Elektronik, ab und an stimmen sie den Blues an. Hauptsongschreiber Martin Gore, der bekannt ist für hochemotionale Balladen, singt diesmal zwei Songs und widmet mit „Eternal“ einen davon seiner Tochter, die er beschützen wolle, so gut das möglich sei.

„Spirit“ ist ein gelungenes Album
Gore malt nicht nur hier düstere Szenarien, sondern setzt dem Album mit „Fail“ ein hoffnungsloses Ende, als er anmerkt: „Wir können unser Niveau nicht halten, wir haben den Mut verloren. Wir haben versagt.“
„Spirit“ ist ein gelungenes Album, eine Revolution aber ist es weder musikalisch noch inhaltlich - selbst wenn Depeche Mode von eben dieser singen. Für die Werbekampagne zum neuen Album posiert die Band u.a. auf teuren Motorrädern. Gleichzeitig die Fans dazu aufzurufen, nicht zu bequem zu sein, um zu rebellieren, wirkt als dekadenter Popstar, der alles hat und sich mit Statussymbolen umgibt, etwas absurd. Es sei ihnen aber verziehen, immerhin liefern sie vielseitige Songs ab, darunter ein paar großartige Liebesdramen wie „Cover me“.

Offline Angelinda

• Assistant
  • Damaged People
« Reply #350 on: 18 March 2017 - 04:30:48 »
2017-03-17 - Das Erste (Germany) - Nachtmagazin

http://www.tagesschau.de/multimedia/video/video-270197.html
https://www.facebook.com/tagesschau/videos/10155194794854407/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZTxG2WoCGnI

Secret Gig in Berlin: Depeche Mode spielen vor 1.000 Fans

Depeche Mode aus Großbritannien ist eine der erfolgreichsten Bands der Welt. Nun veröffentlicht die Band ihr 14. Studio-Album "Spirit". Ein paar Hundert ausgewählte und euphorische Fans durften in Berlin ein erstes Konzert erleben.

Offline Angelinda

• Assistant
  • Damaged People
« Reply #351 on: 18 March 2017 - 04:36:15 »
2017-03-17 - The Telegraph (UK) - Depeche Mode on alt-right fans, meeting David Bowie at the school gate, and why they're not all 'doom and gloom'

[Thanks to GolemsFairytale for registering on that site and copying the article.]

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/music/interviews/depeche-mode-alt-right-fans-meeting-david-bowie-school-gate/

Depeche Mode on alt-right fans, meeting David Bowie at the school gate, and why they're not all 'doom and gloom'
Neil McCormick

“Where’s the revolution? Come on people, you’re letting me down!” croons Dave Gahan, eyes shut, wiry frame swaying, as if addressing an angry mob inside his own mind. Synthesisers fill the claustrophobic, wood panelled rehearsal studio in Manhattan with a fizzing, bubbling, brain melting wall of sci-fi sound.
His band mates are all focussed on their own instruments, whilst road crew peer into laptops, as Gahan clambers higher on his imaginary soap box. “You’ve been kept down, you’ve been pushed round, you’ve been lied to, you’ve been fed truths,” he sings.
With pencil moustache and goatee, dressed like a 1930s gigolo and swishing his behind with rock star flamboyance, the Depeche Mode frontman makes an unlikely rabble-rouser. But there is simply no denying the battering ram power as the British electronic group blast through their latest single in rehearsal for a summer stadium tour. “Who’s making your decisions?” Gahan demands. “You or your religion? Your government? Your country? You patriotic junkies!”
Depeche Mode’s 14th album, Spirit, is the most overtly political of their 37-year career, a post-Trump, post-Brexit howl of synth powered outrage. It features songs about violent racism (The Worst Crime), rampant corporate greed (Poorman), sociopathic selfishness (Scum) and mankind’s self-destructive tendencies (Backwards, Fail).
It was an odd time, then, for controversial American white nationalist Richard Spencer to claim in an interview at the Conservative Political Action Conference in Washington, DC that “Depeche Mode is the official band of the alt-right.” He also tweeted that the band “have written all the anthems that the alt right needs.”
“Honestly, I don’t know where he gets that from. Does he even listen to our lyrics? It’s the polar opposite, if anything,” says multi-instrumentalist Martin Gore, the band’s chief songwriter. “You know, we can’t stop people from being fans. But that doesn’t mean that we back him in any way.”
Gore has lived in Santa Barbara, California for 17 years (with his second wife and baby daughter, he also has three children from his first marriage). “I have been quite down and depressed about events in the world for the last few years, and I felt we had to address it. I’ve never seen America more divided than it is now. The polarizing effect of Trump is crazy. Calling for a revolution in a pop song is a little bit tongue-in-cheek but I think we are going to see more and more mass protest, and that is a kind of revolution.”
When Spencer’s remarks hit the American news media on February 23, Gore admits he was utterly incredulous. “It was one of those days when you feel like you might be living in a computer simulation and there’s an alien throwing things at you just to see what happens,” he says, as if this was a more reasonable notion than Nazis admiring his band.
Dave Gahan expresses his distaste for the whole episode with even less amusement. “He’s a dangerous person promoting hate and fear,” he says of Spencer, who was notoriously attacked by a bystander whilst giving a TV interview at the inauguration of President Trump. “I saw the video of him getting punched. He deserved it.”
It is a bitterly cold March day in New York, where Gahan has lived since 1997, with his third wife Jennifer, daughter Stella Rose (17) and adopted son Jimmy. Gahan also has a son, Jack (29) from his first marriage (who lives in Britain). “These are interesting times we’re living in. It’s all getting a bit negative, especially in this city. All people seem to talk about is the weather or Donald Trump. Well, the weather is harsh and unpredictable … and so is f______ Trump.”
Nevertheless, Gahan is reluctant to define the new Depeche album in terms of its politics. As he points out, it was written before Brexitand recorded before Trump’s election. “It’s a bit apocalyptic. It seems to fit the mood of the moment. But I wouldn’t want listeners to be entirely engulfed by doom and gloom. There’s levity, sarcasm, love. To me, this is about the same kind of things that all our records have been about: humanity.  You can’t lose hope. I’m a testament to that.”
Depeche Mode are the biggest electronic band in the world, the scale of their success eclipsing pioneers like Kraftwerk, and contemporaries like OMD, Gary Numan and Pet Shop Boys. They have sold over 100 million albums across four decades, evolving from a fizzy Eighties synth pop band from Basildon, Essex to a dark, dangerous Goth electro-rock monster with a bold sound meshing the futuristic machine pulse of synthesisers with the epic swagger of anthemic guitar rock.
In June, they play the London Olympic Stadium, their biggest ever British concert, a triumphant homecoming to a country that has not always treated them with respect (Depeche are far more critically admired in America and Europe than back home). But it is a journey that has taken its toll.
Gore gave up alcohol 11 years ago this month (he can recall the exact day), in the middle of a tour.  “I don’t think I would have lived very long if I carried on,” he admits. “I was out of control.” Gahan’s excesses were more notorious, heroin and cocaine addiction that reached a peak in the mid-Nineties, leading to divorce from his second wife, a brutal suicide attempt in 1995 (he slashed his wrists) and several overdoses.
In May 1996, he was arrested following a cocaine induced heart-attack in a Los Angeles hotel. Finally facing up to his demons (with a suspended two year jail sentence as an added spur) Gahan has been sober for 20 years. During that time, his singing has grown more confident and nuanced, and he has started writing songs, contributing four to the new album.
Not as overtly political as Gore’s, songs like Poison Heart and Cover Me tend to chip away at his own failings. “A lot of darkness is self-inflicted. If you are going to point the finger, maybe you have to point it at yourself first.”
Gahan is a compelling character, extremely animated and gregarious where Gore seems far more cautious and nervous in interviews. The singer has definitely matured since I last encountered him, in 1998, at the start of his sobriety, when he was affecting a rather chipper sense of denial about the damage wrought on himself and others.
“I do dwell in the darkness quite often, I just don’t stay there as long as I used to,” he says, trying to explain the appeal of the dark subject matter that runs through most of Depeche Mode’s work. “I find it a creative space. It’s more truthful somehow. There is more to be found about my place in the scheme of things. What’s interesting to me is that I don’t need anything to get there now. I don’t need booze or drugs. I just need life. I can go there, and come back.”
During rehearsals, the five piece band (comprising three original Depeche members, Gahan, Gore and keyboard player Andy Fletcher, plus two long serving session musicians, drummer Christian Eigner and keyboard player Peter Gordeno) dive into a version of David Bowie’s Heroes. Gahan becomes utterly immersed in his performance, tears glistening as he brings the full weight of his gritty baritone to bear.
Afterwards, his band mates nod and smile, congratulating him. This was the very song that Gore, Fletcher and founding member Vince Clarke (who left in 1981 to form Yazoo and Erasure) heard Gahan sing in a Basildon rehearsal room in 1980, subsequently inviting him to join their band.
“I got a little choked up,” he admits, afterwards. “I feel like I’m carrying a song that’s important to all of us. The one thing we’ve had in common from the very beginning was loving Bowie. He is probably the reason why we all wanted to make music.”
Gahan admits he wept when he heard Bowie had died in January last year. His daughter attended The Little Red School House in Greenwich Village with Bowie’s daughter Lexi, so the ex-pat rock stars would occasionally run into each other at school functions. “I regret not telling him how important his music was to me. I’m sure he knew. I was a bit in awe of him but he was the nicest guy. He kind of got me, somehow, he talked to me like ‘I know you’. I don’t think it was just about the music, it was this feeling of being a little bit odd in the world. Bowie’s music was something that really carried me when I was young. His death was much more huge to me than I would have ever imagined.”
It has been another reminder of his own mortality. “I’m getting older, and things start creeping up. Everything gets a little bit harder, and hurts a little bit more. I’m surprised I’m as intact as I am.”   He had an operation to remove a cancerous tumour on his bladder in 2009, and still has to undergo regular intrusive checks.
“I’ve had a few brushes with the Grim Reaper. It is what it is. I’m OK with it, I really am.” He is looking forward to getting back on tour. “It’s a bit daunting at first. You feel like you’re carrying the whole thing as the front guy, and that can be nerve wracking. But when the voice is working and the body’s moving right, it’s like a sportsman, you start to get into the zone, and then I have a ball with it.”
Gore, too, proclaims himself excited to bring the new songs on the road, with the Global Spirit Tour kicking off in Europe in May. “I can’t wait to get out of this country, to be honest,” he laughs. “You know, most of these songs were written over 18 months ago. Everything started to take on a different meaning after Brexit. We finished the album by August last year. I remember having a funny conversation with Daniel Miller (head of their record label, Mute). He said ‘What if the world fixes itself before it’s released?’ And we looked at each other and both kind of laughed and said, ‘Very slim chance of that happening.’”
Depeche Mode: Spirit (Mute) out now. The band play the London Stadium on June 3

Offline Angelinda

• Assistant
  • Damaged People
« Reply #352 on: 19 March 2017 - 00:24:23 »
2017-03-17 - RBB (Germany) - Aktuell

http://www.rbb-online.de/rbbaktuell/archiv/20170317_2145.html

Clubkonzert mit Depeche Mode

Offline Angelinda

• Assistant
  • Damaged People
« Reply #353 on: 19 March 2017 - 02:25:44 »
2017-03-18 - Spot On News (Germany) - Martin Gore ist wieder Papa geworden!

www.spot-on-news.de
http://www.bunte.de/stars/stars-im-babyglueck/martin-gore-depeche-mode-star-ist-wieder-papa-geworden.html
http://www.gala.de/stars/interview/martin-gore-ueberraschung--er-ist-wieder-papa-geworden--21333256.html
http://www.freenet.de/unterhaltung/promis/martin-gore-das-fuenfte-kind-ist-da--und-kommt-gleich-mit-auf-tour_6015490_4729180.html
http://www.viply.de/martin-gore-das-fuenfte-kind-ist-da-und-kommt-gleich-mit-auf-tour/

MARTIN GORE
Überraschung: Er ist wieder Papa geworden!
Depeche-Mode-Mastermind Martin Gore ist wieder Papa geworden. Und obwohl das Baby erst eine Woche alt ist, kommt es mit auf die Welttour.

Was für ein Timing! Pünktlich zum neuen Album "Spirit" ist Martin Gore (55), Musiker und Mastermind der Synthie-Pop-Kult-Band Depeche Mode ("Spirit"), zum fünften Mal Vater geworden. "Mein jüngstes Kind ist eine Woche alt", erklärt er stolz im Interview mit spot on news. Blöd nur, dass gerade jetzt auch eine große Welttour ansteht. Doch der Brite, der "schon lange in Santa Monica" (USA) lebt, und seine zweite Ehefrau (seit 2014), die Tänzerin Kerrilee Kaski, haben einen Plan:
Das Baby und sein 13 Monate altes Geschwisterchen kommen einfach mit: "Sie werden nicht auf der ganzen Tour dabei sein, aber sie werden kommen", so Gore. Auch bei Deutschland-Konzerten werden sie dabei sein, wie er weiter sagt.
Der in London geborene Martin Gore gilt als Mastermind der Band, offiziell ist er Keyboarder, Gitarrist, Songwriter und neben Frontmann Dave Gahen (54) bei ausgewählten Stücken auch Sänger der 1980 gegründeten Band. Seine drei älteren Kinder stammen aus der ersten Ehe (1994-2006) mit Suzanne Boisvert.

Depeche Mode on Tour
Die Tour gehört zum neuen Album "Spirit", das am Freitag (17. März) veröffentlicht wurde. Die erste Single-Auskopplung "Where's the Revolution" ist bereits seit 3. März erhältlich. Der weltweite Konzert-Reigen startet am 5. Mai in Stockholm, Schweden, und endet am 28. Oktober in Edmonton, Kanada.

Offline Angelinda

• Assistant
  • Damaged People
« Reply #354 on: 19 March 2017 - 02:34:15 »
2017-03-18 - DPA (Germany) - Dave Gahan findet Handys bei Konzerten nervig

http://www.bild.de/unterhaltung/aktuelles/musik/dave-gahan-findet-handys-bei-konzerten-nervig-50906378.bild.html
http://www.t-online.de/unterhaltung/musik/id_80664426/musik-dave-gahan-findet-handys-bei-konzerten-nervig.html
http://www.stern.de/kultur/musik/aufzeichnungswahn-dave-gahan-findet-handys-bei-konzerten-nervig-7374416.html
http://www.abendblatt.de/kultur-live/musik/article209977297/Dave-Gahan-findet-Handys-bei-Konzerten-nervig.html
http://www.focus.de/kultur/musik/musik-dave-gahan-findet-handys-bei-konzerten-nervig_id_6806777.html
http://www.arcor.de/content/unterhaltung/Musik/5712207,1,Musik--Dave-Gahan-findet-Handys-bei-Konzerten-nervig,content.html
http://www.volksstimme.de/musik/dave-gahan-findet-handys-bei-konzerten-nervig/1489861538000

Dave Gahan findet Handys bei Konzerten nervig

Wer ständig mit dem Handy filmt, verpasst den eigentlichen Moment, findet Depeche-Mode-Frontmann Dave Gahan.

Berlin (dpa) - Dave Gahan (54), Frontmann der britischen Band Depeche Mode, ist ein Smartphone-Skeptiker. Die Handy-Kameras bei Konzerten sind ihm oft zuviel.
"Niemand schaut sich das doch nachher wirklich an", sagte der Musiker der Deutschen Presse-Agentur. "Die Leute verpassen oft den eigentlichen Moment, weil sie alles mit dem Smartphone oder iPad glauben aufzeichnen zu müssen."
Bei einem einstündigen Konzert am Freitagabend in Berlin vor 1000 ausgewählten Fans, bei dem die Band ihr neues Album "Spirits" vorstellte, sei ihm aber positiv aufgefallen, dass er kaum in Handys habe schauen müssen.
Gahan sprach mit der dpa auch über Weltpolitik: "Wir werden alle mit viel Scheiße überschwemmt - zum Beispiel jetzt mit den Dingen, die Donald Trump sagt, die angeblich passiert sein sollen. Dass er angeblich von der britischen Regierung abgehört wurde. Es ist einfach verrückt."
Gahan sieht aber auch Vorteile in der neuen Zeit mit einem US-Präsidenten Trump: "Es ist eine verrückte Zeit, aber sie hat auch eine nützliche Seite, weil man sich darauf besinnen kann, was sind die Informationen, die ausgewogen sind und die mich wirklich zum Nachdenken bringen. Und was füttert mich nur mit irgendwas, was ich dann als wahr oder falsch einordnen soll."
Im Mai startet Depeche Mode in Stockholm eine Europatournee. Das erste Konzert in Deutschland ist am 27. Mai in Leipzig geplant.

Offline Angelinda

• Assistant
  • Damaged People
« Reply #355 on: 19 March 2017 - 02:35:34 »
2017-03-18 - TMC on Twitter (France) - Dave Gahan ID greeting

https://twitter.com/TMCtv/status/843131136733663232

Dave Gahan de @depechemode a un message pour vous ! Rendez-vous le 21 mars avec @qofficiel.

Offline Angelinda

• Assistant
  • Damaged People
« Reply #356 on: 19 March 2017 - 03:50:30 »
2017-03-18 - Berliner Kurier (Germany) - „Die Menschlichkeit ist irgendwie vom Kurs abgekommen“

http://www.berliner-kurier.de/berlin/leute/depeche-mode--die-menschlichkeit-ist-irgendwie-vom-kurs-abgekommen--26220104
http://www.ruhrnachrichten.de/leben-und-erleben/unterhaltung/service/wochenendmagazin/Martin-Gore-von-Depeche-Mode-im-Interview-Die-Menschlichkeit-ist-vom-Kurs-abgekommen;art140565,3306894

„Die Menschlichkeit ist irgendwie vom Kurs abgekommen“
Von Olaf Neumann

Wenn Depeche Mode auf ihrem neuen Album über fehlgeleitete Staatenlenker, unzufriedene Bürger und ausbleibende Revolutionen singen, dann muss in der Welt wirklich etwas schieflaufen. Olaf Neumann sprach darüber mit Hauptsongschreiber und Multi-Instrumentalist Martin Gore.

Ihr Album „Spirit“ ist stark beeinflusst vom Weltgeschehen. Viele Künstler scheuen sich davor, Position zu beziehen. Was hat Sie dazu ermutigt, es trotzdem zu tun?
Martin Gore: Während wir dieses Album geschrieben haben, ist in der Welt extrem viel passiert. Es wäre fast ein Verbrechen gewesen, diese Geschehnisse zu ignorieren. So einfach ist das.

Welche Motivation steckt dahinter? Sind Sie wütend auf die politischen Führer der Welt, die derzeit in Verantwortung sind?
Ich würde es nicht Wut nennen, sondern eher Enttäuschung. Ich zeige auch nicht zwangsläufig mit dem Finger auf die Staatenlenker. Mir geht es eher darum, nach dem zu fragen, was gerade da draußen passiert. Und vielleicht bringe ich den einen oder anderen Hörer ja dazu, sich einmal selbst diese Fragen zu stellen. Man könnte ja mal darüber nachdenken, was man persönlich dazu beitragen kann, die Welt zu einem besseren Ort zu machen.

Möchten Sie Menschen dazu bringen, politisch aktiv zu werden?
Ich sage es mal so: Die Menschlichkeit ist irgendwie vom Kurs abgekommen. Wir Menschen müssen wieder auf den spirituellen Pfad zurückfinden. Die Entscheidungen, die im Moment getroffen werden, wirken auf mich wie fehlgeleitet. Viele Menschen sind mit ihrer jeweiligen Regierung unzufrieden, vielleicht auch mit dem ganzen System. Das sorgt bei ihnen für Frust und Zorn. Ich verstehe das völlig. Aber mit der Art und Weise, wie die Leute ihren Missmut herauslassen, ist niemandem geholfen. Damit schaden sie sich wahrscheinlich nur selbst. Die Gesellschaft zersplittert und bricht immer mehr auseinander. Das ist sehr gefährlich.

Kennen Sie einen besseren Weg, mit Frust und Zorn umzugehen?
Je enger die Menschen zusammenrücken und die Welt zu einer Gemeinschaft wird, desto besser. Ich weiß, das klingt jetzt nach Idylle. Aber eine globale Welt ist eine sicherere Welt. Der Aufstieg des Populismus kommt mir völlig gaga vor. Als die Briten sich für den Brexit entschieden, war ich wirklich schockiert. Und das geht jetzt weiter so. Wenn auch Frankreich die EU verlässt, was passiert dann? Werden dann noch mehr Länder gehen? Und in Amerika ist Trump sogar zum Präsidenten aufgestiegen. Das ist echt gruselig, ich lebe ja in den USA.

Ihr Album haben Sie in den USA aufgenommen. Wie stark ist dort Ihr Heimatgefühl?
Ich sehe mich immer noch als Europäer. Ich sage bewusst Europäer statt Engländer. Wenn ich Pech habe, kann ich mich aber nicht mehr lange Europäer nennen. Aber leben tue ich eben in den USA, wo ich einen 14-jährigen Sohn habe, mit dem ich die Wochenenden verbringe. Er ist der Grund, weshalb ich nicht zurück nach Europa kehren kann. Aber eines Tages werde ich mich vielleicht dazu entscheiden.

Wie pessimistisch sind Sie, was die Gegenwart und Zukunft betrifft?
Momentan bin ich alles andere als optimistisch. Wir leben in sehr merkwürdigen, geradezu aberwitzigen Zeiten. Die Gesellschaft ist direkt in der Mitte gespalten. Die einen wollen zum Beispiel raus aus der EU, die anderen wollen bleiben. Trump hat in Amerika zwar nicht die meisten Stimmen bekommen, aber die Wahl dennoch gewonnen. Wenige Wochen nach seinem Amtsantritt lagen seine Umfragewerte bei nur 40 Prozent. So unbeliebt war bisher kein anderer US-Präsident, aber seine Partei unterstützt ihn dennoch mit 87 Prozent. Wenn Trump seine rechte Politik fortsetzt, werden die Proteste auf den Straßen noch heftiger und noch größer werden.

Schließen Sie sich den Protesten an?
Auch in meiner Stadt gab es bereits eine Anti-Trump-Demo. Ich habe eine Tochter im Kleinkindalter und meine Frau ist gerade wieder schwanger. Im Moment kann ich nicht mit auf die Straße gehen, aber wenn es so weiterläuft, werde ich mich den Protesten selbstverständlich anschließen.

Momentan scheinen Sie nicht in der Stimmung zu sein, Songs zu schreiben, die Menschen fröhlich machen.
Wir haben genug fröhliche und unbeschwerte Lieder. Wenn Sie zu einer unserer Shows kommen, garantiere ich Ihnen eine Feier! Gestern haben wir „Where’s The Revolution“ geprobt. Ich glaube, diese Nummer wird sich zu einem Crowd-Pleaser entwickeln.

Dennoch ist „Spirit“ das wohl düsterste und unkommerziellste Album, das Depeche Mode je gemacht hat.
Vielleicht. Aber Sie müssen einfach mal auf das Düsternis-Messgerät schauen. Wenn man nämlich Depeche Mode mit der gesamten Musikindustrie hinsichtlich des Düsternisfaktors vergleicht, werden wir immer ganz oben stehen. Kann sein, dass diese Platte sogar noch zwei Prozent düsterer klingt als unsere anderen, aber der Unterschied ist eher marginal. Wir werden seit über 30 Jahren als Düsterband bezeichnet! (Lacht.)

Dieses Jahr steht ganz im Zeichen Ihrer Stadiontournee. Ist die Musik auf „Spirit“ Stadionrock?
(Lacht.) Ich glaube, manche der Stücke werden sehr gut im Stadion funktionieren, aber wir spielen ja auch nicht alle Titel. Das wäre sicher keine gute Idee. Auf unserer Setliste stehen auch viele unserer alten Favoriten, die die Leute kennen, neben einigen Überraschungen, die man nicht erwarten würde.

David Bowies Hymne „Heroes“?
Das habe ich nie gesagt. Aber wer weiß. Vielleicht. (Lacht.)

Die „Spirit“-Tournee führt Sie unter anderem nach Weißrussland. Es gilt als die letzte Diktatur Europas. Kann Musik die Verhältnisse verändern?
Schwierige Frage. Ich weiß es nicht. Ich kann nur sagen, dass ich Musik mag, die Menschen zum Nachdenken bringt. Genau das ist das Ziel dieser Platte: das eigene Verhalten reflektieren und darü-ber nachdenken, was man verändern sollte und vor allem wie.

Offline Angelinda

• Assistant
  • Damaged People
« Reply #357 on: 19 March 2017 - 03:55:55 »
2017-03-18 - Telekom Erleben (Germany) - Erster Live-Ausschnitt der Weltpremiere im Berliner Funkhaus

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qROUdeNw-2k

Telekom Street Gigs mit Depeche Mode - Erster Live-Ausschnitt der Weltpremiere im Berliner Funkhaus

Es war eine Weltpremiere, die uns Depeche Mode am 17. März 2017 im Berliner Funkhaus präsentierte: Eingebettet in eine Setlist voller Hits spielte die Band aus UK am Release-Tag ihres neuen Albums „Spirit“ auch Songs ihrer 14. Platte erstmals live. Dank verschiedener 360-Grad Kameras, konnten Fans weltweit von zuhause aus das Konzert genießen, als wären sie selbst mittendrin. Seht hier „Where's The Revolution“ und erlebt einen Teil des intimen Konzerts von Dave Gahan, Andy Fletcher und Martin Gore noch einmal.

Offline Angelinda

• Assistant
  • Damaged People
« Reply #358 on: 19 March 2017 - 04:27:26 »
2017-03-18 - Polskie Radio Program III (Poland) - Myśliwiecka 3/5/7 (interview Andy Fletcher)

http://www.polskieradio.pl/9/359/Artykul/1741177,Depeche-Mode-Spirit-to-plyta-polityczna
http://www.polskieradio.pl/9/359/Artykul/1741191,Mysliwiecka-357-18-marca-godz-1807
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z_lWhFTCoXM

Wywiad Piotra Stelmacha z radiowej Trójki z Andym Fletcherem z Depeche Mode w związku z premierą albumu "Spirit". Plus archiwalne wypowiedzi Alana Wildera i Davida Gahana.

Offline Angelinda

• Assistant
  • Damaged People
« Reply #359 on: 19 March 2017 - 05:20:05 »
2017-03-18 - HR3 (Germany) - HR3 am Samstag

[Depeche Mode special with archive interview footage of Dave from 2013. Unfortunately we have neither this special nor the original interview from 2013.]

http://www.hr-online.de/website/radio/hr3/index.jsp?rubrik=55115&key=standard_document_63481916

Depeche-Mode-Spezial am Samstagabend bei hr3
Ob „People Are People“, „Enjoy The Silence“ oder „Personal Jesus“ - Depeche Mode haben uns seit ihrer Gründung 1980 jede Menge Lieblingssongs geschenkt. hr3 spielt für Euch diesen Samstagabend eine Stunde lang nur Musik von Depeche Mode:

Jetzt sind die Synthie-Pop-Legenden mit dem neuen Album „Spirit“ zurück, dem mittlerweile 14.
Wie es klingt und warum es gut in unsere Zeit passt, gibt es am Samstagabend in unserem großen Depeche-Mode-Spezial bei hr3 zu hören.
Eine Stunde lang Depeche Mode am Samstagabend
Neben neuen Songs haben wir natürlich auch jede Menge Klassiker von Depeche Mode dabei. Außerdem spielen wir Livemusik von Dave Gahan & Co. und Depeche Mode selbst kommen natürlich auch zu Wort.
Moderiert wird das Spezial von Depeche-Mode-Fan Jürgen Rasper.