Depeche Mode Television Archives Forum

Author Topic: 2011: Dave Gahan to be Honored by MusiCares  (Read 8546 times)

Offline Angelinda

• Assistant
  • Damaged People
2011-05-10 - Proceeds Benefit MusiCares (U.S.) - Auction

[MusiCares offered two items signed by Dave Gahan at the MusiCares event for auction.]

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=360365708385&ssPageName=STRK:MEDWX:IT

This very special program was signed by Depeche Mode vocalist and MusiCares MAP Fund honoree, Dave Gahan! The signing took place on May 6, 2011 at the MAP Fund Benefit Concert held at Club Nokia in Downtown Los Angeles where Gahan was honored with the Stevie Ray Vaughan Award for his dedication and support of the MusiCares MAP Fund and their devotion to helping others with the addiction recovery process.
The program is filled with photos and congratulatory messages to Dave. Celebrity participants and guests included:  Jane’s Addiction, Chester Bennington (Linkin Park), Ozomatli, Paramore, Adam Bravin and Justin Warfield of She Wants Revenge and the evening closed with Dave Gahan with Curt Bisquera, Vincent Jones, Martyn LeNoble, David Levita and Jason Orme.  The evening was hosted by comedian/author, Greg Behrendt and awards were presented by Gary Tovar and Steven Tyler.
Place your bids now on this unique piece of music memorabilia signed by the honoree himself!
About The Program:
Event: MusiCares MAP Fund Benefit Concert honoring Dave Gahan & Kevin Lyman
Date: Friday, May 6, 2011
Condition: Excellent
Signed by: Dave Gahan

http://cgi.ebay.com/MC-Dave-Gahan-Signed-Depeche-Mode-101-Vinyl-/360365707564?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item53e778512c

Depeche Mode frontman, Dave Gahan’s commanding vocals have helped establish the legendary group’s signature sound, which has left an indelible legacy on indie and popular music.  Gahan, who is known for his electric stage presence and high-energy performances, has consistently propelled Depeche Mode’s larger than life live shows to new heights.
This incredible double vinyl is the live recording from the band’s show at the Rose Bowl in Los Angeles on June 18th 1988. Depeche mode played to a sold out crowd all of their incredible hits.
Dave Gahan signed this rare vinyl while backstage at the 2011 MAP Fund Benefit Concert where he was honored with the Stevie Ray Vaughan Award for his dedication and support of the MusiCares MAP Fund and their devotion to helping others with the addiction recovery process.
Reach out and bid on this vinyl!
About The Vinyl:
Title: Depeche Mode 101
Release Year: 1989
Condition: Very Good
Signed by: Dave Gahan
2017-06-30: Photobucket has disabled external image hosting, all scans will have to be re-uploaded on another site.

Offline Angelinda

• Assistant
  • Damaged People
2011-05-10 - Pop10 Live (Germany) - Neuigkeiten mit Susi

[In this regionally broadcasted TV programme, Dave and his award from MAP was briefly mentioned:[

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rDrJZx5n_I0

2017-06-30: Photobucket has disabled external image hosting, all scans will have to be re-uploaded on another site.

Offline Angelinda

• Assistant
  • Damaged People
2011-05-11 - MrJor004 - Leader of Depeche Mode, Dave Gahan at MusiCares Benefit

Dave Gahan being asked some questions on the red carpet:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bw_K0g5iL2k

Lead singer of Depeche Mode, Dave Gahan honored with the Stevie Ray Vaughn Award at the 7th Annual MusiCares Benefit Concert. Hosted by Comedian Greg Behrendt, also in the house were Christina Aplegate, singers Perry Farrell and Dave Navarro of Jane's Addiction, Steven Tyler of Aerosmith, Martin Gore, Hayley Williams of Paramore and Ozomatli.

Offline Angelinda

• Assistant
  • Damaged People
2011-05-14 - A-One TV (Russia) - Dave Gahan, Lostprophets, The Killers, Lamb, Naughty By Nature

Dave's announcement that he was busy writing songs with someone from Soulsavers was picked up by this music programme: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IImE5jVubW0

This news was repeated two days later: http://www.a1tv.ru/?id=80299&rid=56643&vid=183567

Offline Angelinda

• Assistant
  • Damaged People
Re: 2011: Dave Gahan to be Honored by MusiCares
« Reply #19 on: 25 January 2012 - 23:38:41 »
2011-05-25 - Track It Down (US) - Dave Gahan’s Clean Slate

http://www.trackitdown.net/news/show/104468.html

Dave Gahan’s Clean Slate
Reported by JontySkrufff

Aerosmith singer Steven Tyler presented Dave Gahan with the Stevie Ray Vaughan award at the seventh annual MusiCares ceremony in LA this week, in recognition of the Depeche Mode singer’s 15 years abstinence from drugs and alcohol.
Announcing the award, Tyler (also a recovering addict) paid tribute, describing staying clean as ‘harder than being a musician, it's harder than being a rock star, it's harder than selling more than 100 million albums worldwide’.
Dave Gahan responded in kind, recalling how Tyler had helped him start his recovery in the 90s as he came perilously close to death on four separate occasions. During the last near death experience in 1996, his heart stopped for over two minutes, after he overdosed on a speedball (heroin combined with cocaine) at the Sunset Marquis Hotel in Los Angeles.
“Stephen accosted me in a bar one night somewhere like Chicago; He wasn't drinking and I was,” Gahan began. “I was tying one on and this guy was sort of annoyingly talking to me. Apparently it was Steven Tyler f--king with my drinking. Anyway, that was a long time ago and I'm blessed to be here."
One year after he finally quit, the hugely popular alternative rock star chatted to Jonty Skrufff and was extremely frank abouthis descent into drug addiction.

“If God had a drug and alcohol allowance for each person I had used up my fair share, much to my regret, to be quite honest,” he admitted.
“For me it was my everyday thought. Everything would be about getting sorted. Because the drugs weren’t working, I was overdosing all the time and waking up in strange places. I’d never feel high. I was flatlining . . .
“I came out and used again and the insanity struck me. It (the addiction) wants me dead, I thought and that’s when I reached out to the handful of people who had constantly been trying to stop me from using because they would say where it was going to end.”
“One of the problems I had in particular with drug addiction was that I had an endless supply of fucking money. The dealers came to me. It wasn’t until the end that the dealers started cutting me off because of the attention that was around me. I had been followed by the police and I was a time bomb waiting to be busted,” he recalled.
“Clubs in LA started turning me away because I was bad news. So then I found myself in parts of LA where I would never have gone: like the shooting galleries with all the other crack-heads and smack-heads.”
Jonty Skrufff: Did people recognise you in the crack-houses?
Dave Gahan: “Not really, no. Before I got clean I weighed about 110 pounds and looked very different. I looked just like another junkie. I saw a different side then, I was really desperate.”
Jonty Skrufff: Did you have guns?
Dave Gahan: “I used to walk around my apartment with a .38 down the back of my pants. Sometimes I would shoot hole in the walls because of my own shadow, literally.I remember coming out of jail . . . I was sitting at home with a .38 by my side and that was the first time I really thought about blowing my head off. That’s when I picked up the phone and said ‘I know I’ve fucked up, can somebody help me?’ That’s when things began to change. I remember phoning Stephen Tyler in Boston and crying to him over the phone, what the fuck am I gonna do?’ He was actually really cool.”
Jonty Skrufff: What other guns did you have?
Dave Gahan: “I had a 12 gauge shotgun, a .38, a little Ouzi (machine gun) just because of my paranoia. For a period of time I used to go out in Los Angeles with a 9mm that I actually had down my pants when I used to score drugs because everybody carries guns. I did get hit in the face with the butt of a gun a couple of times by dealers who wanted my money without the stuff.”
I found myself being a product of LA. I used to have this seven feet tall stuffed Bugs Bunny and I chained it to the wall. My thinking was ‘OK, this is fucking Disneyworld and if I’m stuck here, he can be too.’ I had the Tinman, the lion from the Wizard of Oz and they were all chained up. Believe me, I had many conversations with the Tinman.”
He was also philosophical about why he became addicted.
“I’ve always been an alcoholic, right from a very early age. I’ve always liked the feeling of not being myself and that’s where it all begins. No matter how far back, that’s always been the motivation: I don’t wanna feel like I’m feeling right now.
“There’s nothing cool about being a heroin addict, it’s a really painful, sad existence. Give me a mattress, a needle, a spoon and my dope and I was happy. People die from this disease every day.
“Many friends died and when I was using I didn’t think about it. If I junkie died in my hotel room, I’d think ‘Get them out and fucking throw them on the lawn, then dial 911 and say ‘someone has had a heart attack on the lawn’.
“That’s the life, the only thing you care about is yourself. It’s like ‘Fuck everybody else, as long as I have my drugs I’m OK’. You don’t even think that you’re affecting anybody else. It’s not until you’re clean that you realise.”

Depeche Mode will release Remixes 2: 81-11 on Mute in June, a triple CD collection of classic remixes plus a bunch of brand new ones by producers including Eric Prydz, Roland M.Dill and former Mode members Vince Clarke and Alan Wilder.

Offline Angelinda

• Assistant
  • Damaged People
« Reply #20 on: 15 February 2012 - 22:08:29 »
2011-05-26 - lucasgordon - Entrevista con Dave Gahan

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JuN55V5yvcY

Offline Angelinda

• Assistant
  • Damaged People
« Reply #21 on: 19 February 2012 - 23:51:31 »
2011-08-31 - ghaadaven (US) - What Does "Ghaadaven" Mean???

[This is just a blog, but I found it interesting. This person also uploaded a backstage video on her Facebook profle and embedded it in the blogpost. That video upload is no longer accessible, but after I had spread the link to the Blog post on the Internet, a Russian fan (surprise) uploaded it on her YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IT926IkMtG0].

http://ghaadaven.blogspot.com/2011/08/hrefhttp.html

What Does "Ghaadaven" Mean???

It all started as a joke (that is how all my best ideas come to be) & it was all inspired by this great photo I ran into in the New York Times Magazine back in April.
Right around this time I was hanging out mostly with men in their forties. For some reason I started connecting better emotionally & intellectually with men a decade or so older than me. Dating men younger than me became a thing of the past, a thing of my twenties.
On a Sunday afternoon I was hanging out at my sister's checking out the New York Times Magazine & I run into this stunning black & white photo of this incredibly handsome man, Dave Gahan, age 49. To be honest with you I had no idea who he was. I have always appreciated Depeche Mode but have never been a hardcore fan so I didn't know this beautiful man was its front man.
I posted this photo on Facebook and tagged all of my musician friends in their late thirties with a legend that said: "Every male musician's goal in life should be to be as gorgeous as this man when they turn 50". The long trail of witty jokes went on for a while and ended up with me joking about throwing an all-male-musician weekly party at a bar in Hollywood where I would find my dream 50-year-old musician. I was going to call the night "Ghaadaven, a product of my Scrabble-Anagram-Boggle-lover brain, in honor of Dave Gahan.
The more I thought about it the more the joke made sense to me. So I started looking into making this night happen. I assigned my musician friends to be part of Ghaadaven's 'Board of Trustees' & had luggage tags made for them to take on their tours. They were still thinking it was a joke... and it kind of was, but not really.
And so I started doing research about what would make musicians come to my party. I was going to contact a guitarist friend whose show I had attended not long before & as I was about to message him via-Facebook I find out through his posts that he's an amazing illustrator as well! (gotta love L.A. with all its multi-talented inhabitants!). Music & Art seem to go well together so I asked him if he would be interested in showing his work at my little gathering. He loved the idea so much that I loved the idea even more! So I started asking around to some more artist friends if they would too like to exhibit their work. Everybody came on board really excited about the idea. In no time I had ten artists and "Ghaadaven" turned into an Art show.

The funny part of the story doesn't end there. The week before Ghaadaven Art's opening my super-duper friend Joel, guitar player who somehow ended up becoming the official DJ for Ghaadaven Art's parties, calls me & says: "Guess what??? I'm playing with Dave Gahan next week!". A few days before his show he calls me again & says: "Guess what??? I'm entitled to bring a guest to the show, wanna come?". Fast forward & I'm in Dave Gahan's dressing room watching a basketball game & borrowing Martin Gore's super-cool green guitar only because it matched my boots. Ignorant me again, I had no idea who that sweet little old man with eye-liner & pearly fake teeth was. I got goose bumps & felt a little sacrilegious when he came on stage with the guitar I was earlier posing with & started playing 'Personal Jesus'.
All in all, life is really funny & that's how the name Ghaadaven came to be. It doesn't really mean anything, it doesn't mean I'm a hard-core Dave Gahan fan, it was all meant to be a joke.

P.S. I've found my happy medium in men in their mid-thirties. I got a bit iffy about men in their forties after watching one of my friends struggling to focus so he could see a photo I was showing him on my iPhone & after listening to Dave Gahan cracking jokes about his old-hanging sack.
- Alexandra J Nakamura

Offline Angelinda

• Assistant
  • Damaged People
« Reply #22 on: 17 December 2012 - 23:14:11 »
2012-02-06 - grammyauctions - MC Depeche Mode Dave Gahan Martin Gore Signed Gibson Reverse Flying V Electric G

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MC-Depeche-Mode-Dave-Gahan-Martin-Gore-Signed-Gibson-Reverse-Flying-V-Electric-G-/360431464533?pt=Guitar&hash=item53eb63b055#shId

MC Depeche Mode Dave Gahan Martin Gore Signed Gibson Reverse Flying V Electric G
Proceeds Benefit MusiCares

Starting Price    US $1,700.00

Depeche Mode’s Dave Gahan and Martin Gore Signed Gibson Reverse Flying V Electric Guitar
With Dave Gahan’s commanding voice at lead vocals and Martin Gore’s skills on guitar, keyboard and songwriting, Depeche Mode became one of the most successful, influential and long-lived bands having emerged from the ‘80s, selling over 75 million records worldwide.
Both Dave Gahan and Martin Gore signed this very rare and unique Gibson REVERSE Flying V Electric guitar on May 6, 2011 at the MusiCares MAP Fund Benefit concert where Gahan was honored with the Stevie Ray Vaughan Award. Gahan was recognized for his dedication and support of the MusiCares MAP Fund and their devotion to helping others with the addiction recovery process. Martin Gore performed alongside his band mate in his honor as well.
The Gibson Reverse Flying V is a limited-edition guitar to commemorate the 50th anniversary of the original Flying V. It is unique, different and unlike anything else...just like Depeche Mode!  Bid on this incredible collectible guitar!
About the Guitar:
Brand:  Gibson
Model:  Reverse Flying V
Finish: Natural with gold hardware
Serial #: 033470563
Signatures: Dave Gahan Martin Gore

Offline Angelinda

• Assistant
  • Damaged People
« Reply #23 on: 19 October 2013 - 07:34:42 »
2012-05-31 - Grammyauctions - MC Dave Gahan Signed Shure Microphone

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MC-Dave-Gahan-Signed-Shure-Microphone-/360462624056

MC Dave Gahan Signed Shure Microphone
Listed for charity
Proceeds Benefit MusiCares

Depeche Mode frontman, Dave Gahan’s commanding vocals have helped establish the legendary group’s signature sound, which has left an indelible legacy on indie and popular music.  Gahan, who is known for his electric stage presence and high-energy performances, has consistently propelled Depeche Mode’s larger than life live shows to new heights.
The man sure knows how to work a microphone! Dave Gahan signed this Shure microphone while backstage at the 2011 MAP Fund® Benefit Concert where he was honored with the Stevie Ray Vaughan Award for his dedication and support of the MusiCares® MAP Fund and their devotion to helping others with the addiction recovery process.
Reach out and bid on this microphone!
About the Microphone:
Brand: Shure
Signature: Dave Gahan

Offline Angelinda

• Assistant
  • Damaged People
« Reply #24 on: 21 March 2017 - 03:17:34 »
2017-03-20 - Humo (Belgium) - Blijven Gahan

[The question is wrong: Dave and Mark Lanegan never sang live and the MusiCares event was in 2011, but Dave covered Mark's song for the event.]

http://www.humo.be/humo-archief/376007/blijven-gahan-depeche-mode

(...)

Luie Dave
HUMO: Jullie [Dave en Mark Lanegan] hebben in 2016 ook samen live gezongen.
Gahan: «Voor een charity-evement in Los Angeles, MusiCares. Ik wou per se ‘Low’ brengen, één van de allermooiste songs die Mark ooit geschreven heeft. Toen ik hem dat voorstelde, reageerde hij met: ‘‘Low’? Zegt me niets. Weet je zeker dat ik dat heb geschreven?’ (lacht) Hij is een man van zéér weinig woorden – but he sure knows how to write some good ones in his songs.»

(...)