Depeche Mode Television Archives Forum

Author Topic: 2012: Alan Wilder & Talk Talk Tribute  (Read 19052 times)

Offline Angelinda

• Assistant
  • Damaged People
2012: Alan Wilder & Talk Talk Tribute
« on: 08 October 2011 - 04:08:01 »
This thread is concerned with all news items regarding Alan Wilder's collaboration with Talk Talk. This thread is not about the tribute album in general, but only regarding Alan's input. For the most news on the tribute album you can check out the Facebook page created just for that: http://www.facebook.com/SpiritOfTalkTalk

If you know about any news items that should be in here, but aren't, please let me know.

In Alan's Q&A on Shunt, he stated that he had composed a top 10 album list for CDnow.com (around the year 2000), and this was in his list:
8. 'Spirit Of Eden' - Talk Talk
Talk Talk started out as a fairly straight pop group until, virtually overnight, they retreated and decided to start making innovative, unusual, brilliantly individual records - thus losing 98% of their audience in the process. Starting with 'The Colour Of Spring' through to 'Laughing Stock', they began to use flugelhorns, variphones and bassoons to augment their more minimal new sound. Along with notoriously miserable Mark Hollis' tragically soulful voice, they were like no other group.
2017-06-30: Photobucket has disabled external image hosting, all scans will have to be re-uploaded on another site.

Offline Angelinda

• Assistant
  • Damaged People
Re: 2011: Alan Wilder & Talk Talk Tribute
« Reply #1 on: 08 October 2011 - 04:08:24 »
2011-02-22 - The Lovetones - new song on a Talk Talk tribute album...

http://www.myspace.com/thelovetones/blog/542182656

News!!!! Gigs and new song on a Talk Talk tribute album...

Hi all,
 The Lovetones play a final gig before a short hiatus this fri night the 25th feb.
the gig is free and will be part of The Rock's Square night markets in Sydney.
the band starts at 8pm and will be playing 2 sets..all ages and free! come on down
In other news...The Lovetones are excited to announce they have been asked to contribute a track to a new 'Talk Talk' tribute album to be released later this year. Other artists involved are Alan Wilder (Depeche Mode), Chris Walla (Death Cab For Cutie), Turin Brakes, and Stars Of The Lid amongst many others. More details to follow shortly..Watch this space! Peace..
2017-06-30: Photobucket has disabled external image hosting, all scans will have to be re-uploaded on another site.

Offline Angelinda

• Assistant
  • Damaged People
« Reply #2 on: 08 October 2011 - 04:08:55 »
2011-04-06 - Talk Talk site - News

http://users.cybercity.dk/~bcc11425/

Name: Michael
UK tribute album confirmed for release later in 2011. Confirmation from Recoil (former Depeche Mode's Alan Wilder). According to Recoil, 'some great people involved'. Should be interesting!

Offline Angelinda

• Assistant
  • Damaged People
« Reply #3 on: 08 October 2011 - 04:09:19 »
2011-04-19 - The Shunt Staff - Confirmation

[The Shunt Staff confirmed on several boards that Alan was indeed doing a TT cover, like here:]

http://depechemode-forum.de/forum/showpost.php?p=2594421&postcount=5

SHUNT:
Ja es stimmt, Alan arbeitet gerade an einen Track für das Talk Talk Tribute Album.

Offline Angelinda

• Assistant
  • Damaged People
« Reply #4 on: 08 October 2011 - 04:10:31 »
2011-05-07 - Recoil - News

http://blog.recoil.co.uk/talk-talk-tribute-album/

Talk Talk tribute album
Along with a series of special guests, Recoil has recorded a cover for a forthcoming Talk Talk tribute album & book. Talk Talk are one of Alan's favourite bands and this is a very exciting project with many well-known artists involved. We will bring you more details once everything has been fully confirmed. In the meantime, here is a comment from Alan :
"In direct opposition to their commercial decline, my interest in the group increased as their more avant garde leanings came to the forefront. 'The Colour Of Spring' (1986) was an excellent but transitional album where one could visibly see the band mutating from well-crafted, intelligent pop into something much deeper and more thought- provoking. It reflected producer Tim Friese-Greene's more fluid and melodic keyboard arrangements with a far more expansive production. However, the revelation that followed - 'Spirit of Eden' - was still totally unexpected. This has to be one of my all-time favourite albums. Mind-blowingly brilliant in its diversity, minimalism, atmospherics, musicianship and topped off with the voice which found it's true position floating painfully over the top (in the best possible way). Whenever I'm stumped for something to listen to, I reach for this album to restore my faith in all that is good about modern music."
While critically praised, the album Alan speaks of was not as commercially viable as its predecessors and, after the equally uncompromising follow up ‘Laughing Stock’, Talk Talk disbanded. Now, many are coming together to pay tribute to this underrated but highly influential band.
Shunt staff

Offline Angelinda

• Assistant
  • Damaged People
« Reply #5 on: 08 October 2011 - 04:10:57 »
2011-05-07 - Side-Line (Belgium) - Talk Talk tribute album featuring Alan Wilder (Recoil), Anthony and the Johnsons, ... UPDATE

http://www.side-line.com/news_comments.php?id=46201_0_2_0_C

Talk Talk tribute album featuring Alan Wilder (Recoil), Anthony and the Johnsons, ... UPDATE

Update: Anthony and the Johnsons will not be part of this compilation after all. But instead, we have Elbow which seems to be up to doing a cover so the rumour is.

Along with a series of special guests, Alan Wilder aka Recoil has recorded a cover for a forthcoming Talk Talk tribute album and book. Also included on the tribute album are The Lovetones, Anthony and the Johnsons, Chris Walla from Death Cab For Cutie, Turin Brakes, and Stars Of The Lid amongst many others. Rumour has it that also Elbow would be delivering a cover though we couldn't find any confirmation of this so far.

(...)

Offline Angelinda

• Assistant
  • Damaged People
« Reply #6 on: 09 October 2011 - 16:56:16 »
2011-05-09 - The Quietus (UK) - Alan Wilder Of Recoil & Depeche Mode's 13 Favourite LPs (Excerpt)

http://thequietus.com/articles/06219-alan-wilder-depeche-mode-favourite-records

Alan Wilder Of Recoil & Depeche Mode's 13 Favourite LPs
Luke Turner
As Short Circuit fast approaches, we talk to Alan Wilder about his 13 favourite records, and how they shaped his work in post-Depeche Mode project Recoil

(...)

Talk Talk - Spirit Of Eden
I've become musical supervisor on a Talk Talk album that's being put together; it looks like we might have Elbow involved, and lots of other really good people like that. It's made me more aware – not that I wasn't already – how influential Talk Talk were, and how many people's favourite group they are.
In direct opposition to their commercial decline, my interest in the group increased as their more avant garde leanings came to the forefront. It was clear that Hollis in particular was never comfortable wearing the cloak of pop stardom. He became more and more introspective, reclusive and disdainful of all things commercial. We can all see, with hindsight, where his aspirations lay having now heard the later, definitive albums. Here was a man clearly very frustrated working within the confines of the format - something I appreciate myself and which led me to start my own Recoil project in order to alleviate the very same limitations.
Mark Hollis has this way of writing, and this voice, that's totally unique. It's like nothing else. I've heard a few cover versions recently – some of which have been submitted for this album – where people attempt to sing his songs and get nowhere near, which makes you realise what a great singer he is. I also watched the Live In Montreaux show they did in the 80s on Sky Arts recently, and he didn't drop a note the whole show: he was spot on, so as a singer – and it's just one small aspect of Talk Talk – he's really got something different. And then there's songs, the production, the dangerous approach they took by veering more and more away from being commercial and writing catchy pop tunes into something way, way different to that. When Spirit Of Eden and Laughing Stock happened, I think everyone said 'What are you doing'? And now everyone says 'They're my favourite albums'.
However, the revelation that followed - 'Spirit of Eden' - was still totally unexpected. This has to be one of my all-time favourite albums. Mind-blowingly brilliant in its diversity, minimalism, atmospherics, musicianship and topped off with the voice which found it's true position floating painfully over the top (in the best possible way). Whenever I'm stumped for something to listen to, I reach for this album to restore my faith in all that is good about modern music. It encompasses so many of the things I enjoy about sound, postmodernity, sophisticated arrangements, eclectic and unusual songs. Frankly, I'm jealous that I have never been able to make a record which has the confidence to be so exposed.
In 1998, Mark Hollis released one more solo album and then promptly retired from the music industry, never to be seen again. To this day I have no idea what happened to him. I do wish he'd return.

(...)

Offline Angelinda

• Assistant
  • Damaged People
« Reply #7 on: 09 October 2011 - 17:00:09 »
2011-06-07 - by Talk Talk & Mark Hollis on Facebook - TALK TALK Tribute Album & Book

http://www.facebook.com/notes/talk-talk-mark-hollis/talk-talk-tribute-album-book-project/10150206532049171

Talk Talk Tribute Album & Book Project

This note will act as a work in progress with up to date news on the forthcoming Talk Talk Tribute Album and Book. Please note that the project is moving along smoothly and we can only reveal the facts that the organisers give us piece by piece.

The Background :
The project organisers are Toby Benjamin and James Marsh

The Book : Will have written contributions from musicians, DJ's and record label owners. It will include the paintings and an interview with James Marsh + more.

The CD : A lengthy Talk Talk Tribute album from bands and musicians who were influenced by Talk Talk. Bands participating will be revealed below. The tracks are from bands that are also huge Talk talk fans. There is no attempt to try re-create the sound. All the bands will have their own take on the track.Please do not contact this group about band invites as the organisers of the album have a full track listing.

12 May 2011 :
Alan Wilder aka Recoil has recorded a cover for a forthcoming Talk Talk tribute album and book. Also included on the tribute album are The Lovetones, Turin Brakes amongst many others. Rumour has it that also Elbow would be delivering a cover though we couldn't find any confirmation of this so far.

30 May 2011 :
Ian Curnow is working on a track, David Rhodes and Martin Ditcham have collaborated on tracks. There are tracks being worked on from all five albums, and 1 track from Mark Hollis's solo album. The bands come from England, Scotland, Germany, USA, Canada and Australia.

7 June 2011 :
A little bit more about:
The Book:
There are written contributions from 50 musicians, DJs, and  Record label owners about what Talk Talk means to them. Quotes include Alan Wilder, Jimi Goodwin, Mark Radcliffe, Paul Hartnoll and David (Kid) Jensen.
There are full interviews from various Talk Talk session musicians, and one from Dennis Weinreich, the Colour of Spring engineer.
There are unseen photos of the band from 3 different sessions.
There are sketches of James's artworks, and all of James's covers at nearly the original album size.
The author of the essay is an established rock writer and massive Talk Talk fan.

The Music:
Jason Lytle from Gandaddy is working on a track.
The Electric Soft Parade are working on "Candy" and King Creosote is working on 'Give it Up'.
More bands will be updated along the way, including a very high profile UK band.

Offline Angelinda

• Assistant
  • Damaged People
« Reply #8 on: 16 October 2011 - 03:35:47 »
2011-07-21 - Talk Talk - Facebook Update

https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=10150389859868902&id=12307963901

Red Hot News : The Talk Talk Tribute album / Book will be a DOUBLE album and is set for early 2012 release. Just heard Chris Walla from Death Cab for Cutie has confirmed he is working on 'John Cope' AND Linton Kwesi Johnson [of the absolute classic album "Bass Culture" fame], is doing a collaboration with Alan Wilder -'Inheritance'. Please note Alan Wilder's RECOIL is doing another TT track as well.

Offline Angelinda

• Assistant
  • Damaged People
« Reply #9 on: 04 December 2011 - 04:19:49 »
2011-08-19 - Release Magazine (Sweden) - collected thoughts

http://www.releasemagazine.net/Spotlight/spotlightrecoil2011.htm

(...)

Do you have any other collaboration in the pipeline?
- Well, only the Talk Talk project which I am working on. It is a sort of collaboration, but it is mainly my cover version with some guest musicians. The vocalist is called Shara Worden, who I never met, we’ve only spoken by email and she sent me the vocals digitally. The organisers of the album suggested her and I really liked her voice. It has been quite easy gathering all the people since we have a common interest in Talk Talk and all have a respect for the original songs and the artist, so we got original musicians who played on the original Talk Talk albums like David Rhodes and Martin Ditcham. Davide Rossi from Goldfrapp is playing strings. We have nearly finished the song and I am also trying to help with supervising the project, on a consultancy basis. There are of course a number of other artists contributing but everything is not confirmed so I chose not to reveal anything…

Offline Angelinda

• Assistant
  • Damaged People
« Reply #10 on: 08 December 2011 - 23:55:33 »
2011-10-09 - Side-Line (Belgium) - Recoil live film, Talk talk covers, remixes for Alessandro Cortini (ex-NIN) coming up (Excerpt)

http://www.side-line.com/news_comments.php?id=46908_0_2_0_C

Recoil live film, Talk talk covers, remixes for Alessandro Cortini (ex-NIN) coming up

(...)

Alan Wilder also recorded two covers (and not just one: read also Talk talk tribute album featuring Alan Wilder (Recoil)) of Talk talk for an upcoming Talk Talk tribute album which should come out in Spring 2012. The covers are "Dum Dum Girl" (1984) and "Inheritance" (1988), the latter was recorded together with the UK-based dub poet Linton Kwesi Johnson. More details on these two covers can be heard in the interview video here or below.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jCXcHM3z3Hw

Offline Angelinda

• Assistant
  • Damaged People
« Reply #11 on: 25 January 2012 - 23:39:42 »
2011-10-10 - Side-Line (Belgium) - Paul Kendall talks Angleterror, Recoil, Talk talk and more at ElektroStat

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WXTHMwVXk8E

Offline Angelinda

• Assistant
  • Damaged People
« Reply #12 on: 27 January 2012 - 00:20:42 »
2011-12-08 - Recoil - New Talk Talk book & website

http://blog.recoil.co.uk/new-talk-talk-book-website-register-now/

New Talk Talk book & website register now
Remember we brought you news that Recoil has recorded two covers for a forthcoming Talk Talk tribute album? Well we can now bring you much more news about the accompanying book which Alan has also contributed to, with its expected publication scheduled for Spring 2012.
‘The Spirit of Talk Talk’ is a richly illustrated, beautifully designed publication celebrating the music and art of the legendary group Talk Talk.
Celebrated illustrator, and Talk Talk cover artist, James Marsh has remastered and chronicled all of the iconic artwork that he produced for the band throughout their 10 year reign in the 80’s. The book will feature James’ original cover concept sketches, hand written lyrics from Mark Hollis, as well as various ephemera, posters, and related items of interest to fans. It will also feature unseen group photos from 3 sessions with photographer Richard Haughton.
Renowned rock music writer and enormous Talk Talk fan Chris Roberts is writing the main essay and there are also 80 written contributions from bands, label owners, DJs and creatives, all of whom have been inspired or influenced by the music and art of Talk Talk.
Says Alan: ‘The Spirit of Talk Talk has been lovingly compiled with unqualified enthusiasm and meticulous research. It is the most comprehensive retrospective look at the legacy of one of Britain’s most important, influential and inexplicably underrated bands. Long overdue and unmissable. Sign up now to register your interest and to get it published as soon as possible.’
As Alan suggests, please visit the official website and register your interest. Registering does not commit you to purchase the book but simply helps the publisher gauge the print run required. You will be kept informed about developments right up to publication.
Finally, regarding the album, this is now very close to completion with a large array of eclectic artists involved. We will be bringing you more news on this very soon.
http://spiritoftalktalk.com
The Shunt staff

Offline Angelinda

• Assistant
  • Damaged People
« Reply #13 on: 13 February 2012 - 21:19:47 »
2012-01-25 - Pitchfork (UK) - Talk Talk Celebrated With Tribute Album, Book

http://pitchfork.com/news/45195-talk-talk-celebrated-with-tribute-album-book/

Talk Talk Celebrated With Tribute Album, Book
Members of Arcade Fire, Broken Social Scene, Weezer, Pink Floyd, Shearwater, Underworld, Orbital, the Clientele, more contributers
By Carrie Battanon

Influential British synth-pop outfit Talk Talk are getting the royal tribute treatment this year in conjunction with their 30th anniversary. Illustrator and Talk Talk cover art creator James Marsh has collected all of the artwork he's made for the band in the limited edition book Spirit of Talk Talk, scheduled for release this spring.
The book will include hand-written lyrics from Talk Talk's, along with 80 written contributions from people who've been influenced by the band over the years. Those contributors include Arcade Fire's Richard Reed Parry, late Pink Floyd member Richard Wright, Weezer's Patrick Wilson, Jonathan Meiburg of Shearwater, Tom Fleming of Wild Beasts, Paul Hartnoll of Orbital, Karl Hyde of Underworld, former Depeche Mode member Alan Wilder, Elbow's Guy Garvey, James Lavelle of UNKLE, former Grandaddy frontman Jason Lytle, and a whole bunch more.
Every copy is autographed by Marsh. The website for the book is currently gaugeing interest; register here if interested.
On May 28, UK label Fierce Panda will release a Talk Talk tribute album, also titled Spirit of Talk Talk. It features Arcade Fire's Richard Reed Parry covering "I Believe in You", Do Make Say Think with Broken Social Scene's Kevin Drew and Weezer's Patrick Wilson covering "New Grass", Alan Wilder with My Brightest Diamond's Shara Worden covering "Dum Dum Girl", the Clientele covering "Have You Heard the News", as well as covers by Jason Lytle, White Lies, Joan As Police Woman, S. Carey, Lia Ices, and more. Proceeds will benefit the conservation organization BirdLife International.

Offline Angelinda

• Assistant
  • Damaged People
« Reply #14 on: 15 February 2012 - 01:27:43 »
2012-01-26 - Side-Line (Belgium) - New Talk Talk book 'The Spirit of Talk Talk' & website

http://www.side-line.com/news_comments.php?id=47436_0_2_0_C

New Talk Talk book 'The Spirit of Talk Talk' & website register now

Here's a gem that many of you will want to lay their hands on once its out - and you can make that happen quicker than you think, just read on! "The Spirit of Talk Talk", a richly illustrated and designed publication celebrating the music and art of the legendary group Talk Talk.
None other than the celebrated illustrator, and Talk Talk cover artist, James Marsh has remastered and chronicled all of the iconic artwork that he produced for the band throughout their 10 year reign in the 80's. The book will feature James' original cover concept sketches, hand written lyrics from Mark Hollis, as well as various ephemera, posters, and related items of interest to fans. It will also feature unseen group photos from 3 sessions with photographer Richard Haughton.
The main essay has been written by music writer Chris Roberts. But the book also features 80 written contributions from bands, label owners, DJs and creatives, all of whom have been inspired or influenced by the music and art of Talk Talk. And yep, you'll find a note by Alan Wilder as well in there next to a string of other artists.
And here's the best bit: if you want to speed up the pressing of getting this book released, then register at www.spiritoftalktalk.com . Registering does not commit you to purchase the book but simply helps the publisher gauge the print run required. You will be kept informed about developments right up to publication.
Don't forget that there will also be a Talk Talk tribute CD featuring Elbow, Alan Wilder, The Lovetones, Chris Walla from Death Cab For Cutie, Turin Brakes, and Stars Of The Lid amongst many others.