Depeche Mode Television Archives Forum

Author Topic: 2006: Gwen Stefani - Wonderful Life for Him (featuring Martin Gore on guitar)  (Read 8410 times)

Offline Angelinda

• Assistant
  • Damaged People
This thread contains all news items regarding Martin Gore contributing some guitar parts for a song for Gwen Stefani.

Please let me know if you have more news items.
2017-06-30: Photobucket has disabled external image hosting, all scans will have to be re-uploaded on another site.

Offline Angelinda

• Assistant
  • Damaged People
2004-02-09 - Press Release - Celebrities Attending David Bowie show

[Maybe this is how Gwen Stefani and Martin Gore met for the first time?]

http://www.msopr.com/press-releases/david-bowie-climaxes-first-leg-of-north-american-a-reality-tour-with-four-sold-out-shows-in-los-angeles/

(...)

The second Shrine show (Monday, 2/2) also attracted an eclectic mix of actors and musicians: Lisa Marie Presley; Scarlett Johansson; Elijah Wood and Dominic Monaghan, both from “Lord of The Rings”; Evan Rachel Wood of the film “Thirteen”; Gwen Stefani and the members of No Doubt (Adrian Young, Tom Dumont, Tony Kanal); Martin Gore of Depeche Mode; Perry Farrell of Jane's Addiction; Ian Astbury; Margaret Cho; and Frank Black, whose Pixies song “Cactus” was covered by BOWIE on his Heathen album and that night at the Shrine.
2017-06-30: Photobucket has disabled external image hosting, all scans will have to be re-uploaded on another site.

Offline Angelinda

• Assistant
  • Damaged People
2004-08-22 - Newsweek (US) - It's My Life

http://web.archive.org/web/20040822135833/http://msnbc.msn.com/id/5783821/site/newsweek/

(…)

Stefani's solo debut is a dance-floor celebration of her newfound artistic freedom and fame. Her primary inspiration was Prince, but she's clear on just how far she can push it: "If you're not Prince, you're never going to sound like Prince," she says. "Especially if you're a white girl from Orange County." The record mixes New Wave-ish dance tunes, sexed-up hip-hop beats and tracks using some of the most accomplished production around: Andre 3000 of OutKast, Pharrell Williams of the Neptunes, Dr. Dre, Nelle Hooper of Soul II Soul fame and Dallas Austin. There's also a who's who of '80s talent on hand, from Wendy and Lisa to New Order to Martin Gore of Depeche Mode. But lyrically, Stefani sticks with what's always worked for her—spilling her guts in a spirit of both fun and self-deprecation. On the first single, "What You Waiting For?" (co-written with Linda Perry), she sings about her solo-album jitters to a bumping club beat. "I was so scared before I went in to do this," she says. "I cried all night before I went in the studio." For comfort she relied on such old collaborators as Eve, who hooks up with Stefani for another duo, and Kanal, who co-wrote and produced on the CD as well.

Offline Angelinda

• Assistant
  • Damaged People
2004-08-31 - Gwen Stefani - Press release

www.neworderonline.com
http://www.thehothits.com/news/6107/the-waiting-is-the-hardest-part-for-gwen
http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/gwen-stefani-makes-love-20041001

Gwen Stefani is such a busy little bee, if she's not designing clothes for her L.A.M.B label, she's working on her solo album or getting sorted for the December release of her her first big-time movie, 'Aviator', in which she stars alongside Leo DiCaprio.

The first single from Gwen's solo album will be, 'What Are You Waiting For?', it should be in stores sometime in October. But don't call her new album a solo record. "The whole idea was to collaborate," says Stefani. "To do a solo record means trying to pour my heart out, which I feel like I already do in No Doubt. This is more of an art project. I wanted to play different roles and work with a ton of people." The lineup she recruited is as all-star as they come: Dallas Austin looks to his past work with Pink and TLC for a dance feel, Dr. Dre and the Neptunes bring the hip-hop beats, and Martin Gore, Dave Stewart and New Order provide New Wave authenticity. "I knew exactly what my influences were - Club Nouveau, Lisa Lisa, Prince, New Order, the Cure, early Madonna," says Stefani. "Everybody was under strict instructions."

It all sounds very 80's and one of the stand out tracks is going to be, 'Bubble Pop Electric,' which features a duet between Gwen and OutKast's André 3000. 'I'm such a fan of Andre's,' she says. 'I was sent hundreds of tracks, and his were the first that I actually liked. It was interesting to work with him while his star was really shining bright. At first, it was kind of intimidating, like, I didn't feel I could shine. But by the end, it felt like we were in a band together.'

Offline Angelinda

• Assistant
  • Damaged People
2004-09-01 - Martin Gore - Martin & Gwen

http://www.martingore.com/news/index.html
http://oldsite.depechemode.com/news/index5.html

Martin & Gwen
Gwen Stefani (of No Doubt) is currently finishing up her first solo project. Martin contributed some guitar work to one of the songs, which has the working title of "It's A Wonderful Life". There is no word if this title will stay with the song, or if Martin's work will stay on the project. Stay tuned...

Offline Angelinda

• Assistant
  • Damaged People
2004-09-06 - Side-Line (Belgium) - Gwen Stefani recruits New Order, Martin Gore, ... for solo album

http://www.side-line.com/news_comments.php?id=3007_0_2_0_C

Gwen Stefani recruits New Order, Martin Gore, ... for solo album
Gwen Stefani, frontwoman of popular act No Doubt, is currently finishing up her first solo project. According to the Rolling Stone magazine, Stefani recruited several artists for her upcoming solo album, including Dr Dre, Martin Gore (Depeche Mode) and New Order. Depeche Mode songwriter Martin Lee Gore has already confirmed he contributed guitar work to the song "It's A Wonderful Life". Other artists said to be involved in the project are Wendy and Lisa, as well as Eve, with whom she last teamed on "Let Me Blow Ya Mind".

Offline Angelinda

• Assistant
  • Damaged People
2004-11-21 - Scotsman (UK) - Gwen Stefani Megastar? No doubt about it

http://www.scotsman.com/lifestyle/music/album-reviews/megastar_no_doubt_about_it_1_1399676

(...)

Indeed, Stefani’s hero-worship of British new wavers led her to seek songwriting liaisons with both Robert Smith of the Cure and Martin Gore of Depeche Mode - not fruitful as it turned out. "Martin ended up playing guitar on one track but then I didn’t put the song on the record, because I’d written too many songs," Stefani says.
"But if this was my ‘solo’ record, I just couldn’t claim it as that, because I didn’t do the whole thing. It’s me working with the most talented people I could find and seeing what I could learn from them. This is basically just a side project, an art project, and something I wanted to try, to see if I could tame my ego and learn a little bit of something new."

(...)

Offline Angelinda

• Assistant
  • Damaged People
2005-05-16 - MTV (US) - Gwen Stefani Plans Another Solo Album By Year's End

http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1502414/gwen-stefani-planning-solo-sequel.jhtml?headlines=true

Gwen Stefani Plans Another Solo Album By Year's End
By Jennifer Vineyard, with additional reporting by Jasmine Dotiwala

(...)

There's also "Wonderful Life for Him," featuring Depeche Mode's Martin Gore on guitar, which was one of the last songs Stefani wrote with Perry and freaked the singer out so much she had to flee from the session (see "Gwen Stefani Turns To Bandmate For Aid After Freak-Out"). "It's a great track," Stefani said. "I wanted to write this deep song for a friend who had passed away, but I came in the next day and [Perry] had already written lyrics."

(...)

Offline Angelinda

• Assistant
  • Damaged People
2005-08-18 - Herald Sun (Australia) - Stefani wants to release The Real Thing

http://www.entertainment.news.com.au/story/0,10221,16301801-7484,00.html

(...)

Stefani won't be putting her foot on the brakes any time soon. Love Angel Music Baby was such an extended creative process that she has enough material for several albums. She's compiling the best of the unreleased songs and plans to release them as a companion album at Christmas. One song, the poignant Wonderful Life for Him, features Depeche Mode's Martin Gore on guitar. The song was written about the first boy Stefani kissed, who has since died.

"He was a huge Depeche Mode fan. He actually turned me on to them. I was really into Madness. I was like, 'Depeche Mode? That's electronic weirdo music'. At the time it was. We'd never heard that s--- before.

"My friend would not believe Martin Gore is playing on this song I wrote about him. And Martin was awesome.

"It was early on in the album and I was singing him some of the demos. It was a really weird experience to write songs with people, hard and intense. But I feel now I could write a song with anybody if I had to -- not that I'd want to, but it was a good learning experience. It tamed my ego."

(...)

Offline Angelinda

• Assistant
  • Damaged People
2005-09-23 - Intro (Germany) - Das ist Demokratie

http://www.intro.de/kuenstler/interviews/23015925/depeche-mode-das-ist-demokratie

DEPECHE MODE
Das ist Demokratie
Text: Jürgen Dobelmann

(...)

Ich habe gelesen, dass du mit Gwen Stefani gearbeitet hast. Wie kann man sich das vorstellen? Hast du einen Song geschrieben, der nicht auf das erste Album passte? Oder warst du mit ihr im Studio?
MG: Sie hat Kontakt zu mir aufgenommen und wollte ein paar Songs mit mir schreiben. Aber wie schon gesagt: Ich habe keine Lust, in einem Raum zu sitzen und mit jemandem Songs zu schreiben. Ich finde, Songwriting ist eine ziemlich persönliche Angelegenheit. Ich kann mir vorstellen, dass es ganz schön peinlich sein kann, mit jemandem zusammen Songs zu schreiben, den man nicht gut kennt. Gwen Stefani machte Witze darüber und sagte, sie habe in den vergangenen zwei Jahren mit so vielen Leuten zusammen gearbeitet, um ihr Album zu machen, dass sie zur "Songwriting-Hure" geworden sei. Sie habe das Stadium der Peinlichkeiten schon lange hinter sich gelassen.
Das ist ja nicht unbedingt das geeignete Argument, um einen von einer gemeinsamen Zusammenarbeit zu überzeugen.
MG: Wie gesagt, die Idee, Songs mit ihr oder für sie zu schreiben, gefiel mir nicht so gut. Ich ging aber ins Studio und traf sie, und sie spielte mir ein paar Songs vor, an denen sie gearbeitet hatte. Und ich bot ihr an, auf einem Stück Gitarre zu spielen, wenn sie das wolle. Und jetzt spiele ich halt auf einem der Songs Gitarre.

(...)

Offline Angelinda

• Assistant
  • Damaged People
2005-12-05 - MTV (US) - Gwen Stefani Holding Off On That Second Solo LP For Now, Anyway

http://web.archive.org/web/20060416150213/http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1517459/20051205/story.jhtml

Gwen Stefani Holding Off On That Second Solo LP — For Now, Anyway
'It's more important that I take a nap,' singer says.

The singer told the San Francisco Chronicle late last week that even though she's been talking about
doing a sequel to Love, Angel, Music, Baby (see "Gwen Stefani Plans Another Solo Album By Year's End"), for the moment she's changed her mind.

"I have a really good record that I could put out," Stefani told the Chronicle. "I had a fantasy about it, but I'm not doing it. I decided it's more important that I take a nap." Stefani explained that she's been going nonstop for years and is feeling "burnt."

"I literally went from the Rock Steady Tour with No Doubt into the studio [to work on "It's My Life" for the band's greatest-hits LP, The Singles 1992-2003], like the week we got off," she said. "Then it was studio torture making this record. Then No Doubt went on the 'greatest-hits' tour after that — then I put my album out, and here we are."

That's not even including acting in "The Aviator," starting and expanding her own fashion line, launching her first New York fashion show — which had incorporated snippets of the new tunes (see "Gwen Previews New Songs, Clothing Line For Diddy, Kravitz, Others") — and her ongoing Harajuku Lovers 2005 Tour (see "Gwen Stefani To Launch Tour In October, With Black Eyed Peas In Tow"). She said she'd given up her last chance at a vacation with her husband to spend time recording with Pharrell Williams (see "Gwen Cheats On Gavin To Make Family-Affair LP With Pharrell"), since the original idea was to combine leftover tracks from the Love, Angel, Music, Baby sessions with new ones recorded over the summer.

By collaborating with so many producers the first time around, Stefani had a lot of tracks that weren't used on the album; she's told MTV News about "Fine By You," "Wonderful Life for Him" (both with Linda Perry), "Parental Advisory" (with Rich Harrison), "You Started It" (with Pharrell), along with songs produced by Eurythmics' Dave Stewart and Depeche Mode's Martin Gore. Then she began work on new tracks with both Pharrell and No Doubt's Tony Kanal, and came up with "Fluorescent Lights," "Candyland," "Wind It Up," "Breaking Up" and "Orange County Girl," among others. If she were planning to release these songs by early next year, as she expressed interest in doing, she would have to shoot the first video and artwork during her current tour. No wonder she told the Chronicle, "I just need to hibernate for a minute."

Interscope had no response to Stefani's comments, which leaves open the possibility that she could return to the project at a later date. In the meantime, she's now scheduled to put out a DVD in the new year, although there's no word yet on what will be included on it.

For features on Gwen Stefani, check out "Gwen Stefani: Fabric Kingdom" and "Gwen Stefani: Scared Solo."
Jennifer Vineyard

Offline Angelinda

• Assistant
  • Damaged People
2006-02-27 - Time Out (Russia) - Martin Gore Interview (excerpt)

http://www.dmfan.ru/pub_2006.html

http://monahgore.narod.ru/TimeOut.html

(...)

А.К. Как насчет вашего сотрудничества с Мадонной? или это только слух?
М.Г. Понятия не имею, кто это придумал. Но, должно быть, этот шутник сейчас сидит и писается от смеха, потому что теперь все спрашивают меня об этом. У меня не хватает времени писать песни для Depeche Mode, что уж говорить о Мадонне.

А.К. А вы бы согласились с ней работать, если бы она предложила?
М.Г. Я никогда не писал песен для других людей. Недавно Гвен Стефани меня очень просила написать ей песню, но все, что я мог ей предложить взамен, чтобы не слишком расстраивать отказом, - это подыграть на гитаре. Я просто не могу представить себя сидящим с кем-то в студии и генерирующим идеи. Не знаю, как работает Мадонна, но я думаю, что нам неминуемо пришлось бы встречаться и сидеть в одной комнате, складывая слова и аккорды. Ну уж нет, песня - это очень личная вещь.

(...)

Offline Angelinda

• Assistant
  • Damaged People
2006-10-23 - MTV (US) - Gwen Stefani's New LP, The Sweet Escape, Set For December

http://www.vh1.com/news/articles/1543813/20061023/stefani_gwen.jhtml?headlines=true

(...)

Stefani first planned to release what she called "L.A.M.B., Part 2" (see "Gwen Wants LP Out This Year, Finds Fashion Inspiration In 'Scarface' ") before she realized she was expecting, but put the album on hold late in 2005 (see "Gwen Stefani Holding Off On That Second Solo LP — For Now, Anyway"). Even though she had enough tracks for a double album, Stefani shelved a good chunk of material, including "Fine By You," the first song she wrote with Linda Perry; "Wonderful Life for Him," another Perry track featuring Depeche Mode's Martin Gore on guitar; "Parental Advisory," written with Rich Harrison; and "You Started It," a collaboration with Pharrell Williams.

(...)

Offline Angelinda

• Assistant
  • Damaged People
2006-10-24 - HOME - “Wonderful Life For Him”

http://www.depeche-mode.com/2006/10/24/wonderful-life-for-him/

“Wonderful Life For Him”
Gwen Stefani is finally ready to release her second solo LP, The Sweet Escape. The album is due out December 5th and features the song “Wonderful Life for Him” with Depeche Mode’s Martin Gore on guitar.

Offline Angelinda

• Assistant
  • Damaged People
2006-11-10 - Gwen Stefani - The Sweet Escape Track Listing And More

http://www.gwenstefani.com/news/default.aspx?&aid=408&in=219

The Sweet Escape Track Listing And More
Here is the first look at the track listing and other details of Gwen's new album The Sweet Escape:

1) Wind It Up
Produced by The Neptunes
2) The Sweet Escape featuring Akon
Produced by Aliaune “Akon” Thiam
3) Orange County Girl
Produced by The Neptunes
4) Early Winter
Produced by Nellee Hooper, co-written by and piano and keyboards by Tim Rice-Oxley of Keane
5) Now That You Got It
Produced by Swizz Beatz
6) 4 In The Morning
Produced by Tony Kanal
7) Yummy featuring Pharrell
Produced by The Neptunes
8) Fluorescent
Produced by Tony Kanal, saxophone by Angelo Moore of Fishbone
9) Breakin’ Up
Produced by The Neptunes
10) Don't Get It Twisted
Produced by Tony Kanal
11) U Started It
Produced by The Neptunes
12) Wonderful Life
Produced by Nellee Hooper, guitar by Martin Gore of Depeche Mode