Depeche Mode Television Archives Forum

Author Topic: 2001: Curve - Polaroid (Strings and Ambience by Alan Wilder)  (Read 3031 times)

Offline Angelinda

• Assistant
  • Damaged People
This thread contains news items about Alan Wilder's collaboration with Curve. Sadly, I could not find a press release. If you have more info, please let me know.

Alan Wilder also had uploaded this track on his official website:
Curve – Polaroid

Produced, engineered and recorded at Total Studios by Curve and Ben Grosse.

Strings and Ambience by Alan Wilder.
http://www.recoil.co.uk/discography/other/curve/area.html

Curve have also mentioned it on their website:
CURVE. "GIFT"

Produced, engineered and recorded at Todal Studios by Curve and Ben Grosse.
Mixed by Ben Grosse at The Mix Room, Los Angeles.
All songs written by Toni Halliday and Dean Garcia.

Toni Halliday:  Words, vocals and guitar noise.
Dean Garcia:  Bass, guitar, programming and noise.

Featuring Kevin Shields:  more Guitar on tracks 3 & 4.    Geno Lenardo:  more Guitar on tracks 1 & 5.   
Rob Holliday:  more Guitar on tracks 2, 6, 8, 9 & 10.    Monti:  more Drums on tracks 3, 4, 6, 9 & 10.   
Alan Moulder:  more Guitar on tracks 2 & 10.    Flood:  Bleeps and Anologs on tracks 2, 6, 8 & 9.   
Alan Wilder:  Strings and Ambience on track 9.    Ben Grosse:  Additional keyboards.

Made with Fostex e24 and Pro Tools. Original Transfers/Files by PK.
Mastered by Kevin Metcallfe at Soundmasters, London.
A Blue Source Sleeve.
North American Management:  www.bellmanagement.com.
Legal:  Russel Roberts at Sheridans.
UK Press:  Random PR.

"Thanks to all our friends and collaborators."
http://curve-online.co.uk/discography/official/gift.php
2017-06-30: Photobucket has disabled external image hosting, all scans will have to be re-uploaded on another site.

Offline Angelinda

• Assistant
  • Damaged People
Re: 2001: Curve - Polaroid (Strings and Ambience by Alan Wilder)
« Reply #1 on: 24 March 2012 - 03:24:25 »
2001-xx-xx - FAC193 - Curve review

http://web.archive.org/web/20020324075013/http://music.fac193.com/reviews/curvegift.html

CURVE, “Gift”
Hip-O Records, 2001

This record almost never saw the light of day due to record label woes, but thankfully Estupendo saw what a big mistake they were making. “Gift” is the fourth major offering from Dean Garcia and Toni Halliday (they did, however, release a limited disc of songs when it looked like “Gift” would never be heard) and it reconciles the wall-of-guitars sound of their earlier work with the breakbeat science that prevailed on their last record, “Come Clean”. It’s a nice combination.

The opening riff of “Hell Above Water” could slice through titanium and goes to a place last seen from Curve on the opener of 1994’s “Cuckoo” disc (“Missing Link”) and is a great song to start the record off with. The momentum stays on for the title track before slowing down for the best song I think Curve have put out in years, a melodic number called “Want More Need Less”—one of two tracks featuring Kevin Shields from My Bloody Valentine. The second of the two, the track “Perish”, is absolutely beautiful and features an incredible subtle vocal by Toni. The next two tracks, “Hung Up” and “Chainmail” (which was commercially available on a soundtrack last year, I believe) remind me a lot of “Come Clean” in their approach of pushing the electronics to the foreground and letting the guitars take a backseat. Another track of mention is “Polaroid” which features “strings and ambience” by occasional collaborator Alan Wilder (Dean appeared on Alan’s latest Recoil release and Toni appeared on 1991’s “Bloodline”).

“Gift” truly does feature some of Curve’s best songs, but don’t be surprised if they up the ante with whatever comes out next. Provided the label promotes this one, it should make Curve a household name.
2017-06-30: Photobucket has disabled external image hosting, all scans will have to be re-uploaded on another site.

Offline Angelinda

• Assistant
  • Damaged People
« Reply #2 on: 24 March 2012 - 03:24:42 »
2001-xx-xx - Meltdown - Curve are Back

http://web.archive.org/web/20011223044753/http://www.djdust.demon.co.uk/curve/articles/2001/meltdown.htm

"Curve Are Back!"

And this time, they mean business! With total freedom and independence the duo are ready to kick-start the jading English music scene.

Words: Natasha Scharf
Additional Research: KEITH BURNETT

Cast your mind back to the early Nineties. The alternative music press, or indie as it was then called, was buzzing with a new band called Curve. Bursting in from out of nowhere, the band, comprising a female vocalist from Sunderland called Toni Halliday and a musical mastermind called Dean Garcia (who had previously worked with The Eurythmics), released three EPs amid great critical acclaim, leading onto the release of their first album, Doppelgänger a year later. The NME and Melody Maker couldn't wait to get in on the act and slowly but surely, Curve became one of the most exciting darkwave pop acts to emerge from the North of England during those acid-house heavy years.
They split up in 1994, heralding the departure of guitarist Debbie Smith to join Echobelly, drummer Monti and live guitarist Rob to work as session musicians and eventually form Sulpher (Toni: "I love Monti and Rob and wish them the best with Sulpher."). However, Toni and Dean soon got back together again and signed to a label called Estupendo. Things looked on the up again in 1997 when a new track, Chinese Burn, was chosen as the theme to a Sony Minidisc advert on British television. It was a new technological invention for music recording and playback and the band hoped that it would re-invent them. However it wasn't to be as the track was released as a limited edition CD and their follow-up album, Come Clean was delayed and delayed until finally it saw the light of day several months later than originally planned. Curve decided it was time to part with Estupendo and finally left the label at the beginning of this year. Denying any rumours of a fall-out, Dean diplomatically explains: "It was more of a (mutual) understanding."
Reflecting on their time spent with the label, Toni said: "Dean and I had gotten round to working again and they were the easiest people to hand, if we had thought about ourselves with some kind of confidence it might have been completely different. We still don't regret a thing though, we are a sum of our own mistakes and many of life's lessons have been learnt in this way for us, we have trod the boards so to speak."
The last thing that Curve worked on for the label was an album tentatively called Gift. This was to be the band's first release in four years. Although it was never released as Estupendo own the copyright for it, Dean is hopeful that the album will eventually see the light of day and Toni reiterates this by saying: "Both parties are trying their hardest to get the record out in some shape or form." According to rumours, the album was mastered on 29 May and has an estimated release date of sometime during September. It also looks likely that Gift will feature two tracks involving a collaboration with Alan Wilder, formerly of Depeche Mode.
However, the pair have been very busy outside their work on Gift. Dean's been charging ahead with his indie project, Headcase, who just released their second album, CrosseyedRabbit as well as a handful of web-based and multimedia goodies, through his Mushi Mushi label. He's also been turning his hand towards web design and graphics work. The change in direction fulfilled something of an ambition for him: "(Mushi Mushi) is something I have always wanted to do: experiments in making music without interference from record companies. It's also about learning new skills and becoming web literate. (Ultimately) it's about the reason why I like to make music."
And so, in Dean's own words, "the beat goes on."
Curve were asked to contribute to the Manchester United Promised Land album. The track that was used is in fact the only track from the Gift recording to have been released so far, Chainmail. Toni also sings with Bias (featuring Flood, Alan Moulder and Rob Kirwan) on a cover of the Human League's Things That Dreams are Made Of. How on earth did they end up contributing to the album? "Nepotism," replies Toni. Are they footie fans then? Dean enthuses: "I don't like football much but Man U are f**king brilliant!" And Toni? "With Alan (my husband) being such a huge Man U fan I feel I have little choice but I also support Sunderland as well. They are my hometown team."
So, back to the present. Curve have just released a self-financed mini-album called Open Day at the Hatefest. The album is their first release since Come Clean and comprises assorted rarities from l996-2001. Toni explained the logic behind its release: "It's a way for us to put a lot of the older stuff to bed. We both want to move into a leaner meaner sound, which can be hard to do when there's old stuff hanging about that you like, it can get in the way."
Although the album is not available commercially, it can be bought from their website (www.curve.co.uk). They hope that with the money they make from ...Hatefest, they can finance a new album, which they have just started writing. Giving a few clues as to what it will sound like, Toni ominously posted up on their virtual newsboard a somewhat enticing message: "Dean and I have started writing for the new album and are very excited by the results so far. It's getting way down and funky baby and all the better for it, I say. We can just see it now: 'Curve make a happy record shock!' Don't worry though, I'm always there to make sure you stay as miserable as me!"
Perhaps a clue to what can be expected is reflected in the duo's current music tastes. Toni's enthusing about: "Anything French at the moment," while Dean's got his eye on Daft Punk's Harder Faster and Madonna's Music. Things certainly seem to be veering towards a more trancey direction, especially with the hoped for involvement of Republica's Saffron - what do Curve think their fans will make of this? Toni replies: "I don't think Dean and I have written one piece of music and wondered whether our fans would still approve, that would be the kiss of death as far as I'm concerned. You can only be true to yourself. That's all that really matters to me."
And Toni's certainly been true to herself with her latest venture. She's been involved on a classical project, which she describes as: "My beautiful antidote for an ugly world." She conjured up the idea: "whilst lying on the beach in Turks and Caicos. God knows why: boredom most probably." The outcome will be an orchestral-based "chillout" EP with Toni on vocals, which is due to be released under an as yet undecided name within the next few months. She's collaborating with her long-time friend Andy Wright and string arranger and composer, David Whitaker who's most famous for working with the Rolling Stones on the original version of The Last Time, re-recorded by the Verve as Bitter Sweet Symphony; and recently wrote two tracks on Air's Moon Safari album. "He's a really lovely man," she gushes. "He's 70 years old and the king of cool in Paris at the moment because he's working on some poncy art house French film. So all in all I'm a very lucky girl and I can't wait to hear the finished result."
Plans for the future seem all well and done, but what about a tour? Dean nonchalantly replies: "If there was a particular selection of bands going out and we were invited to play it would be very hard for us to resist. We love playing live but we need things to make it work. This normally involves truckfuls of money...." Toni adds: "And truck loads of lights, PA, maybe the odd bacon sandwich and some scraps for the crew."
So don't hold your breath just yet...

Offline Angelinda

• Assistant
  • Damaged People
« Reply #3 on: 24 March 2012 - 03:24:59 »
2001-xx-xx - Netstruck - Curve Review

http://web.archive.org/web/20011108022246/http://www.netstruck.com/metronome/reviews/c/curve/gift.html

Rating:   8.0
Similar:   Garbage, My Bloody Valentine, Snake River Conspiracy
Listen:
1. Hell Above Water
2. Want More Need Less
3. Hung Up

No one knew what to do with Curve when they released the sonic onslaught known as "Doppelganger" to the world in 1992. "Doppelganger" borrowed the wall of guitar sound made popular by My Bloody Valentine and fused it with de-emphasized techno/industrial beats and Toni Halliday's ethereal and often indecipherable vocals. While bands like Garbage have since taken Curve's sound and commercialized it, Curve is still going strong and may have concocted it's finest work to date with "Gift." The album boasts an "A" list of musical collaborators such as Kevin Shields (ex-My Bloody Valentine), Alan Wilder (ex-Depeche Mode), Flood, and Alan Moulder. And perhaps, most importantly, they are still as loud as ever. And they waste no time proving that - for half of the disc's duration anyway.

Over the years, Toni's vocals have become less buried underneath the numerous layers of guitars, bass, synth flourishes, loops and drums. Furthermore, Curve has also seemed to develop a more accessible sound since their debut. "Gift" launches with the pounding rocker, "Hell Above Water," featuring a thunderous rhythm section straight from the Trent Reznor school of relentless larger-than-life beats. "Want More Need Less" takes a more melodic turn mainly in the chorus with stacked harmonies that would make Shirley Manson insanely jealous. The spacey synth sounds bubbling under in the song "Perish" will bring a feeling of deja vu for those of us familiar with My Bloody Valentine's "Loveless," in addition to the fact that Kevin Shields adds his guitar work to the track. The delicate, Massive Attack-like, "Hung Up" provides the first moment of serenity. With the exception of "Chainmail" and the end of "Bleeding Heart," the latter part of "Gift," while mostly up beat and certainly not lo-fi by any stretch of the imagination, is decidedly tranquil. Techno wizard, Alan Wilder, adds a touch of ambience and strings to "Polaroid."

Yup, Curve is back. And with the mush of over produced sugar that Garbage is threatening to release on October 2, 2001, "Gift" might be the appropriate record needed to offset it's impending lack of edge. For those of us who weren't sure what to expect with a new Curve record - this is surely a pleasant surprise.
- Kit Bovett

Offline Angelinda

• Assistant
  • Damaged People
« Reply #4 on: 24 March 2012 - 03:25:48 »
2003-07-17 - Recoiler.ru (Russia) - Curve Interview

http://web.archive.org/web/20030804110041/http://www.recoiler.ru/english/interview/?name=curve

Curve for Recoiler website
July 17th, 2003, taken by Ruslan via e-mail

(…)

-   Back to early 90's, how you was involved in Recoil project? I think, 'Bloodline' and 'Edge to Life' are still great. Do you play this songs at your live shows?
(TONI) Live we only play Curve material, I don't think we have even done a cover version live.
(DEAN) No we haven’t we almost did 100% by Sonic Youth on our last tour in the States with Courtney Taylor from the Dandy’s but we didn’t get round to it...I’d like to do one though, we’re good at covers.

- Tell us more about collaboration with Alan Wilder. How to work with him at 'Thin Line'? What kind of 'ambience' he made for your 'Gift' album? Did he work at your studio for 'Polaroid' track, or made it at home? Will you continue to work with him in the future?
(TONI) I like working with Alan but I'm not quite sure how much he likes making music at the moment.

- One more question about Alan Wilder. There are no news about him since last year. There was a rumours about difficulties between him and Mute. Is it true or not? Do you have any information about Alan's current activity?
(TONI) I don't know anything about Alan and Mute but I do know that when you lose interest in music it is best to stand back and give your self a chance to regain what you've lost.
(DEAN) You have to have the need to write, nothing works without that.

- There are another rumour, about Alan's comeback in Depeche Mode… Martin sang 'In Your Room' in LA not long ago, and than added little bit changed refrain from Recoil's 'Control Freak': '..You're all I need to get back...". What you think about it?
(TONI) I'm a huge Depeche Mode fan so I would love to see the original line up again.

(…)

Offline Angelinda

• Assistant
  • Damaged People
« Reply #5 on: 25 September 2013 - 06:07:15 »
2004-03-21 - Side-Line (Belgium) - Recoil aka Alan Wilder On hold for the time being (excerpt)

http://www.side-line.com/interviews_comments.php?id=1198_0_16_0_C

Recoil aka Alan Wilder: "On hold for the time being"

(…)

SL: Which reminds me, the production you did on some Curve tracks in the end wasn't released, did you ever get a satisfactory explanation for this?
AW: Not really but so what. I guess Toni and Dean just saw it as 'work in progress' and it obviously didn't suit their needs in the final equation. Their loss though (laughs).

(…)