Depeche Mode Television Archives Forum

Author Topic: 1995: Spirit Feel - Rejoice (Mystic Span Remix by Martin Gore)  (Read 2272 times)

Offline Angelinda

• Assistant
  • Damaged People
There are not many news items about this remix!

Allmusic.com reviews Spirit Feel as the following:
Discovered by Depeche Mode's Martin Gore, who produced and remixed the album's final cut, "Rejoice," Spirit Feel has a delightful sound that combines elements of ambient techno, dub, and world music to create a danceable, eclectic stylistic fusion. The group avoids stereotypical dance music clichés thanks to their inventive use of sampling of live instruments, which range from Western elements such as electric guitar and bass to more exotic flavors of the Middle and Far East. At the core of Spirit Feel's transcendent sound is an unstated goal to take the listener to higher planes of consciousness, which they achieve quite nicely thanks to impressive creative ingenuity and impeccable production aesthetics.
http://www.allmusic.com/album/spirit-feel-r220948

Bongmute has some interesting info on his personal site:
In 1995, Martin remixes a song on an album of Spirit Feel.
It is on track 7:
Rejoice - Mystic Span Mix - 12:09
(Remixed by Martin Gore and Paul Freegard)
Discovered by Martin, Spirit Feel are not unfamiliar.
They worked together with Martin on "Coming Back To You".
Made the Anandamidic Mix of "Depeche Mode - Walking In My Shoes".
One of their members (Paul Valentine) has even lived in Martin's flat in London.
The Martin Gore remix only appeared on the US pressing of the Spirit Feel album (Wax Trax! Records). But the interesting thing is that the European pressing (One Little Indian Records - TPLP 77 CD), which does not have the Martin Gore remix, had Martin's ex-wife singing on a song titled "Wisdom Of The Ages".

In Europe the Martin Gore remix of Rejoice only appeared on a compilation titled "Welcome To The Future 3".
More, it's on the 13 track vinyl only (One Little Indian - TPLP080), not on the 12 track CD (One Little Indian - TPLP 080 CD).
http://martingore.shinji.be/discography.html
2017-06-30: Photobucket has disabled external image hosting, all scans will have to be re-uploaded on another site.

Offline Angelinda

• Assistant
  • Damaged People
Re: 1995: Spirit Feel - Rejoice (Mystic Span Remix by Martin Gore)
« Reply #1 on: 21 April 2012 - 03:48:28 »
2004-06-22 - Medien Konverter (Germany) - OneTwo Interview (excerpt)

http://www.medienkonverter.de/interview.php4?id=106

(...)

Medienkonverter:

Cloud Nine, a song on the ‘Item’-EP is co-written by Martin Gore and the guitar part is played by him. He’s contributing quite rarely. How did you meet him and do you still have contact?

Onetwo (English):

CLAUDIA BRÜCKEN: I met Martin through a mutual friend of ours called Paul Valentine (Spirit Feel), with whom I was working on a cover version of a song called ‘Halleluhwah’ by the group Can. Paul Valentine took me along to a few Mute / Depeche parties and that’s how I met Martin. He used to have a London flat close to where I live so sometimes we’d hang out together, which I must admit, I kind of miss now that he’s moved to the States.

(...)
2017-06-30: Photobucket has disabled external image hosting, all scans will have to be re-uploaded on another site.

Offline Angelinda

• Assistant
  • Damaged People
Re: 1995: Spirit Feel - Rejoice (Mystic Span Remix by Martin Gore)
« Reply #2 on: 24 September 2013 - 05:03:14 »
2012-04-18 - The Quietus (UK) - "Necessary" interview (excerpt)

(...)

http://thequietus.com/articles/08437-necessary-interview-with-tony-wilson

In terms of global reach and the pairing of unlikely genres the album reminds me of the very utopian My Life In The Bush Of Ghosts - despite not really sounding like it - are you interested in combining high and low forms, mixing avant garde with populist, dance music with armchair music, Western with Eastern? How do you ensure such clashes don't sound either messy or dilettantish?

TW: I take that as a massive compliment, thank you. This story usually comes up when I’m drunk, but I first heard My Life In The Bush of Ghosts on my 21st birthday at Martin Gore’s flat. I had a friend called Paul Valentine who was signed to Mute for a time in a band called Spirit Feel, and we shared the same birthday. After I rang to congratulate him he invited me round to his. What he neglected to tell me was that he shared a flat with Gore. When I arrived it was the morning after a massive party they’d had the night before. I’ll skip details but Martin put on Bush Of Ghosts and it completely blew my mind. So yeah, that album has been a massive influence ever since.

(...)