Depeche Mode Television Archives Forum

Author Topic: 1986: Recoil's 1+2  (Read 2268 times)

Offline Angelinda

• Assistant
  • Damaged People
1986: Recoil's 1+2
« on: 22 April 2012 - 03:15:50 »
This thread contains all info from Recoil's first release, 1+2.

In June 1986, Alan said this for Keyboard magazine:
Q: Do you have plans to get into some projects of your own, possibly outside the band's work?
Alan: Sort of vague plans, yeah. Nothing too rigid. I like the idea of being totally selfcontained, without having to answer to anybody, which means doing my own engineering, producing, playing, and everything. Sure, I would like to do some of that. I'd only do it in my spare time, though. The band comes first.

Info from Wikipedia:
1 + 2, Alan Wilder's first solo release away from Depeche Mode, is a Recoil studio EP, released in August 1986. The CD and cassette version were released two years later with Recoil's second release, Hydrology.
Wilder had always experimented with his own ideas, but when Daniel Miller heard some demos (recorded on a Portastudio, a 4-track cassette machine) and asked to reproduce them, Recoil became a musical entity. The early recordings show Wilder's position as a pioneer in sampling technology and demonstrated how he could completely change the Depeche Mode sound into something new. 1 + 2, his first collection of demos, though completed in the early 1980s, was inconspicuously released as a 12" EP the same year as Depeche Mode's top five album, Black Celebration.
The CD of Hydrology Plus 1 + 2 was re-released in 2007, again on Mute Records. The tracklisting and artwork remain the same.
All songs written and composed by Alan Wilder.
Credits and personnel:
Alan Wilder – Production, Instruments
T + CP Associates – Sleeve photography and design

The recording is largely built upon samples of other music, primarily by other Mute Records artists - to avoid legal issues during an era when such approach to music-making was not overtly common. The samples include the following:
Depeche Mode — "Any Second Now (Altered)"
Depeche Mode — "If You Want"
Depeche Mode — "The Sun and the Rainfall"
Depeche Mode — "The Great Outdoors!"
Depeche Mode — "Shouldn't Have Done That"
Depeche Mode — "Tora! Tora! Tora!"
Depeche Mode — "Shake the Disease (Edit the Shake)"
Depeche Mode — "Pipeline"
Depeche Mode — "Blasphemous Rumours"
Kraftwerk — "Radioaktivität"
Kraftwerk — "Uran"
Kraftwerk — "Radioland"
Duet Emmo — "Or So It Seems"
Duet Emmo — "Heart of Hearts"
The voice of Daniel Miller
Random radio broadcasts
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1%2B2

The CD/casette version of this release also contained the two tracks from Recoil's first release 1+2. Allmusic.com's review of this CD/casette release:
Alan Wilder's first solo outing as Recoil is far from the techno-industrial releases that marked his later work. 1 + 2 was released in 1986 as a 12" EP, a collage of stop-start samples, including a vocal snippet of the Mode's David Gahan. This CD takes that EP, then adds three rather more interesting instrumentals, which vary from Philip Glass-esque piano scales and synth doodles that shimmer with light ("Grain") to more Glass-esque synthesizer scales that burst into pulsing, sequenced electronica ("Stone," "The Sermon"). Some listeners will find the tracks overlong, others will want to get lost in the sound.
http://www.allmusic.com/album/r75874
2017-06-30: Photobucket has disabled external image hosting, all scans will have to be re-uploaded on another site.

Offline Angelinda

• Assistant
  • Damaged People
Re: 1986: Recoil's 1+2
« Reply #1 on: 22 April 2012 - 03:16:33 »
2000?-xx-xx - Recoil - History

http://recoil.co.uk/oldside/afiles/hist/area.htm

NEW BIRTH

Alan had always experimented with his own individual ideas (alongside his rather higher profile as the now acknowledged musical formulator of Depeche Mode) but it wasn't until Dan Miller heard some of his demos (recorded on a 4-track cassette machine) and asked him to reproduce them, that the reality of Recoil as a solo project came to light. The early Recoil recordings revealed Alan's position as a pioneer in the newly emerging world of sampling technology and demonstrated how he could turn the Depeche sound around to create something entirely new.
Simply entitled '1 + 2', his first collection of primitive demos, though completed in the early 80's, was inconspicuously released as a mini-album in the summer of 1986, alongside Depeche Mode's top five album, 'Black Celebration'.
"'1 + 2' is completely synthesizer based yet bears no resemblance to the pretty pop ponderings of the group. Mostly of an instrumental nature, some of it pulsates in the traditional sense but serves mainly as ambience. It is nice to see D. Mode's members branch out into serious musical ventures rather than take the easy route of producing merely bubble gum pabulum." - Dance music report
2017-06-30: Photobucket has disabled external image hosting, all scans will have to be re-uploaded on another site.

Offline Angelinda

• Assistant
  • Damaged People
« Reply #2 on: 02 July 2012 - 04:29:38 »
2002-xx-xx - Recoil - Q&A: 1+2

http://www.recoil.co.uk/qa_vault/hydr.html

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The results of the survey show that '1+2' and 'Hydrology' aren't really appreciated by your fans, but I love them. Do you think we'll ever hear anything as out and out experimental as these again or were you just going through a phase? ;)

It is not surprising that these would be the least favourite Recoil releases. In fact, I would be more concerned if they weren't. It's not that the popularity of a record is related to its quality - I don't believe that's true but, if you are creative in any way, then it is natural to believe that the latest piece of work is your best. If you feel you haven't progressed in some way, then that is the time to give up. Naive as they sound to me now, '1+2' and 'Hydrology' still say something about the idea behind Recoil and how the music is constructed. From that perspective, they are still interesting.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Who was the producer of '1+2' and 'Hydrology'? Was it Alan or Alan with Daniel Miller?

Just Alan.
Is '1+2' formed exclusively from Depeche Mode samples and am I a sad trainspotter for trying to identify them all?

No, not all of them. Yes, you are extremely sad ;-)
I read that '1+2' was recorded on a 4-track portastudio but what instruments/samplers did you use?

Emulator, Roland JP8, PPG.
I have '1+2' on vinyl which shows the playing speed to be 33rpm. When 'Hydrology' was released I found that the inclusion of '1+2' was recorded at 45rpm. Am I correct in assuming that those pieces are meant to be listened to at 45rpm? Having listened to the e.p. many times before the release of 'Hydrology', I became accustomed to hearing it at 33rpm (it's really dark this way), and I enjoy it at least as much at 33rpm as I do at 45rpm. What say you?

I say....er, dunno - I can't remember. Play it at whatever speed works for you, I reckon.
On '1 + 2', what old DM samples did you use?

Since I haven't listened to it for years, I can't really remember although I'm sure it's not that difficult to work out.
Concerning '1+2', you described it as 'doodling'' but you still released it when suggested by Dan Miller whereas you seem less keen nowadays to share your later, unfinished work with your audience. Were you happy with 1+2 and would you release it today or perhaps change it?

Not entirely, but I didn't have the time to do anything about it. We felt it was good to get anything out there and perhaps I didn't feel that precious about it because it was only a side project at the time.
What do the sleeve photos of 'Hydrology plus 1+2' (especially a dead man )mean?

The artwork was conceived by Martyn Atkins and the choice of images was down to his interpretation of the music. I thought they fitted well.
Any chance that '1+2' and 'Hydrology' will become easier to find on CD?

Not with my current distribution record.... ;-) Sadly, It's hard enough to find a Recoil record in the shops during the week of its release, let alone 10 years later.
What happened with the numbering on the inside of each Recoil album? For example, '1 + 2' has 1+2 on the sleeve, 'Hydrology' has 3+4 and 'Bloodline' has '5+6'. What was the significance of this?

It was just a link between all the Recoil releases while I was in DM. After I left the group, Recoil felt like a new project and coupled with the fact that Martyn Atkins wasn't involved with the artwork for this release, I decided it wasn't relevant to carry on the idea for 'Unsound Methods'.
Do you have any idea how in demand your first two releases are - I have them both on vinyl and the prices offered to me have been outrageous, over $100 a piece for them!!!)

No, I had no idea and if it's really true then I'm very surprised. The fact that they're rare is not a deliberate policy I assure you ;-)

Offline Angelinda

• Assistant
  • Damaged People
« Reply #3 on: 24 September 2013 - 05:00:42 »
2012-09-17 - Recorder (Hungary) - „Az ember úgy van beprogramozva, hogy ismételgesse a hibáit” – Alan Wilder (Recoil)

http://recorder.blog.hu/2012/09/17/_az_ember_ugy_van_beprogramozva_hogy_ismetelgesse_a_hibait_alan_wilder_recoil

(...)

- Az első szólókiadványaid Recoil néven (a kísérleti 1+2 című 1986-os és a Hydrology című 1988-as minialbumok), ahogy te is megfogalmaztad a „Depeche Mode ellenanyagi voltak." Mennyire éreztél frusztrációt a bevett popzenei struktúrákkal szemben ekkoriban?
- Mindig is sokféle zene érdekelt és tett boldoggá, és ebben bőven beletartoznak a popzenei hagyományokon kívüli szélsőségesebb, kísérletezőbb zenék is. A Depeche-sel korlátozva éreztem magam a popzenei formátumon belül, igaz, hogy a maga kereteiben működött, de nem adott teret a kísérletezésnek. Ízléstelennek tűnhet erre panaszkodni, amikor olyan nagy sikereket értünk el, de a zenénk engem személyesen nem egyszer hagyott kielégítetlenül. Amikor elkezdtem a Recoilt, akkor a zenekarral olyan kislemezeket vettünk fel, mint az It's Called A Heart, amint végig, a teljes felvételi procedúra alatt utáltam! Ez persze valószínűleg igazságtalan példa, mert közben jó néhány számot szerettem abból az időszakból, ilyen volt a Stripped, vagy a Fly On The Windscreen, de azt hiszem, érthető mire gondolok.

(...)

[Alan Wilder sent the original transcript to Steve Fabian in PDF form the following day, and he posted this link on the Recoil Facebook Group Page: http://pdfuploader.com/uppdfs/263/Hungary_-_Recorder.pdf]

(...)

04-) Your first solo releases as Recoil were - as you said - “an antidote to Depeche Mode”. How frustrated were you with the pop format at that time?
AW: I have always enjoyed so many different types of music and other more left-field approaches outside of ‘pop’. With DM, I felt limited to a format which, without doubt worked, but didn’t allow for much experimentation. It might seem churlish to complain when we were having so much ‘success’ but sometimes the music left me completely unfulfilled. Around the time I began Recoil, with DM we were making singles like ‘It’s Called A Heart’ for example - which I detested the whole time we were recording it! (this is perhaps an unfair example - I did like other tracks of the period like ‘Stripped’ and ‘Flys’ - but you get my point).

(...)