Depeche Mode Television Archives Forum

Author Topic: 1998: The Singles 86-98 Release and Tour  (Read 67666 times)

Offline Angelinda

• Assistant
  • Damaged People
Re: 1998: The Singles 86-98 Release and Tour
« Reply #15 on: 03 May 2012 - 04:19:31 »
1998-03-xx - Q Magazine (UK) - Depeche Mode Greatest Hits

http://web.archive.org/web/19980214150837/http://depeche-mode.com/wwwboard/messages/8213.html

In the magazine issue, they have an article on music to look forward to in 1998. They break the albums down to Spring, Summer, Autumn, Whenever and You Tell Us. Depeche Mode is under the "Whenever" column. It says "Due in 1998 but not confirmed, a Depeche Mode Greatest Hits".
2017-06-30: Photobucket has disabled external image hosting, all scans will have to be re-uploaded on another site.

Offline Angelinda

• Assistant
  • Damaged People
« Reply #16 on: 03 May 2012 - 04:19:50 »
1998-04-09 - Jam! (Canada) - Showbiz

http://depesha.chat.ru/English/News.html

Thursday, 9 April, 1998
Depeche Mode tribute album imminent
By KAREN BLISS -- Jam! Showbiz

They had to respect the masters and not mess with the music. That was the main criteria in gathering the truly faithful and devoted artists to pay tribute to Depeche Mode by covering one of the British band's songs.

Smashing Pumpkins, The Cure, Meat Beat Manifesto, Gus Gus, Self, Deftones and God Lives Underwater are just some of the contributors to "For The Masses", (a play on the title of Depeche Mode's 1987 album, Music For The Masses), due Aug. 4, on 1500/A&M.

The idea was the brainchild of God Lives Underwater's Jeff Turzo and David Reilly, a Los Angeles-based techno duo, who were in Toronto this week to promote their latest album, "Life In The So-Called Space Age".

"God Lives Underwater played 'Stripped' whenever we were on tour and it went over really well," says Reilly , describing how the tribute idea came about. "We heard that Deftones were covering a Depeche Mode song live and it just came together like that, by asking around. Everyone seems to like Depeche Mode."

Helping to implement the idea was Gary Richards, God Lives Underwater's manager and the label head at 1500.

"We got the idea out there and then people came to us," says Reilly. "Me and Jeff and Gary have been weeding through the stuff and deciding what we want on the record."

Richards is both passionate about and protective of the tribute. Although he gave interested bands "free reign" to do with the song what they would, he knew exactly what he was after.

"Most of them we approached, the ones who want to do it, a) love Depeche Mode and b) have a song already in mind," explains Richards. "People that really like Depeche Mode and have it in their heart, understand what that band is about and know how to re-create it properly. And some people don't.

"There were a lot of other people who submitted (songs)," adds Richards. "Most of them didn't make it for the simple fact that what we're trying to do is a tribute to Depeche Mode and, more importantly, to Martin Gore's songwriting, and some people changed the melodies around and changed the songs around.

"The idea wasn't just to have a cool compilation of bands that wanted to make fun of Depeche Mode songs or crack open a beer and have a Depeche Mode party. Depeche Mode means a lot to me and to the people who worked on this, and we wanted to try and reinterpret the songs but not change the songwriting or the music or the melody of the song."

To illustrate his point, Richards cites Locust's lounge version of "Master And Servant", done as a duet between a man and a woman, and The Cure's Robert Smith singing "The World In My Eyes", which he characterizes as "pretty insane."

"For The Masses" is scheduled to be mastered on April 23, but Richards says there are still a couple of stragglers that could be added on at the last minute.

"I have a copy of (a song done by) somebody from Veruca Salt, which I'm trying to get taken care of so it makes the record, and DJ Shadow said he wants to do it as well but he won't be able to do it until May, but we'd add it in.

"We talked to Marilyn Manson a bunch of times and he wants to do 'Personal Jesus'," adds Edwards, "but I don't think it's going to come to fruition."

As for the members of Depeche Mode themselves, they are aware of the tribute and, according to Richards, like the idea.

"I met with them and talked with them about it and they seemed honored about it," says Richards. "I can imagine they know their place (in pop music history). Martin Gore is one of the best songwriters period, and I think people forget that.

"But when people hear these songs, they're going to realize it again."

"For The Masses" tentative track listing:

1."Never Let Me Down Again" - Smashing Pumpkins
 2."Fly On The Windshield" - God Lives Underwater
 3."Enjoy The Silence" - Failure
 4."World In My Eyes" - The Cure
 5."Policy Of Truth" - Dishwalla
 6."Somebody" - Veruca Salt
 7."Everything Counts" - Meat Beat Manifesto
 8."Shake The Disease" - Hooverphonic
 9."Master & Servant" - Locust
 10."Shame" - Self
 11."Black Celebration" - Monster Magnet
 12."Waiting For The Night" - Rabbit in the Moon
 13."I Feel You" - Apollo 440
 14."Monument" - Gus Gus
 15."To Have And To Hold" - Deftones
 16."Stripped" - Rammstein

1998-04-15 - MTV (US) - Depeche Mode To Tour U.S. In Winter

http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1428022/depeche-mode-tour-us-winter.jhtml

Apr 15 1998 2:00 PM 
Depeche Mode To Tour U.S. In Winter
British electropop group Depeche Mode is planning to launch its first tour in five years this fall.
The band will play Europe in September and October, then head to the U.S. for a series of dates running from late October through Christmas. Depeche Mode will announce the European itinerary at a press conference next week in Cologne, Germany.
Depeche Mode's upcoming tour will be aimed at supporting a double album collection of the band's singles that will also include a least one new track, according to a publicist for the group. The album is tentatively slated for an October release, with the new single out to radio in August.
As we previously reported (see "Depeche Mode Discusses Decision Not To Tour"), the band chose not to embark on an extended road outing after the release of last year's "Ultra" in order to give Mode singer Dave Gahan more time to mentally prepare for the rigors of the road.

2017-06-30: Photobucket has disabled external image hosting, all scans will have to be re-uploaded on another site.

Offline Angelinda

• Assistant
  • Damaged People
« Reply #17 on: 03 May 2012 - 04:25:01 »
1998-04-20 - Depeche Mode - Press Conference, Hyatt Hotel, Cologne Germany

http://www.depechemode.com/video/other/pressconf_ger98.html

Press Conference, Hyatt Hotel, Cologne Germany (April 20th, 1998)
Video Released: April 20th, 1998
Video Director: n/a
Video Source: PAL VHS

On April 20th, Depeche Mode held a press conference at the Hyatt Hotel in Cologne, Germany, to announce the Singles Tour. The whole event lasted for about 30 minutes, and hosted around 20 international journalists, 75 journalists from Germany (including local promoters) and 4 TV crews. Thanks to Mute Records, you can view the entire press conference, edited down so that each question is it's own video clip.

The following is a transcription of the video clips available. At the bottom of the page, you will find low and high bandwidth links to the video files.

The Full Transcript

Introduction / Band Entrance

Martin: I'm very sorry. Alan couldn't make it.

David: Marek, can I get an ashtray?

Marek Lieberberg (German tour promoter): We told everybody not to smoke because he insists to smoke alone.

Marek Lieberberg (German tour promoter): Thank you very much for coming here gentlemen. We're delighted to have you here in Cologne. There's a special reason - of course it's me, but also the arena in Cologne which we're inaugurating with the concert of Depeche Mode. I've said that this is always the right (inaudible) has always been the heart of the fan base in Germany. I think that Andy would now like to say a couple of words to you. Thank you very much Andy.

Speech By Andy Fletcher: We just want to thank Marek for promoting again, and putting this (the press conference) all together. Thanks to all the reps from all the different countries, and thanks to our manager Jonathan, who's kept us together for the last four years - must be very hard. I think four years ago, when we finished the last tour, we thought maybe it might be the last Depeche Mode tour, but we've since recorded what we think is a very good album. We've just been in the studio for the last three months, recording new material, and this next tour, which we're all very happy about - we think it's going to be one of the best Depeche Mode tours - we're gonna be doing all of our best tracks from the last twelve years, so it'll be a historical perspective, and we're very much looking forward to it. Thank you.

David: Nice one. (laughs)

Question #1: How do you feel being on the road again after such a long time?

Martin: Now, I think, we're looking forward to it. I think to go on tour last time would have been a mistake for us because the previous tour was just too long. It was 15 months long. Plus to go on tour last year - although there was a long break between the previous tour we did and the one we're about to take now - to go on tour last year would have been like too short a time for us. We still had too many bad memories of that tour, which was 15 months long. We're doing a four month tour just to see how things go. We're looking forward to that, because I think we can handle a four month tour. It's not too long. We're done far longer tours in the past. This one we are looking forward to. At that time, it would have been a mistake to do it, but now we're really looking forward to it.

Question #2: Did people mind you not going on tour after "Ultra"?

Dave: Actually, I think it was pretty positive.

Andy: I think people understood.

Dave: It would have been insane for us to take that on, at that time. I think not only would we have been cheating ourselves but we would have been cheating our fans because we just wasn't ready. It was quite a big ordeal just getting together the three of us and recording another record. After Alan departed, we had to have a re-think about how we were going to work and we had to find people to fulfill the role that Alan played. It was too much to take on. It took quite a while, probably about six months during the recording of "Ultra", before we really settled in and became OK with each other. Not that we disliked each other, it was just that everybody had kinda been through a lot of different things and getting familiar with working again took some time.

Question #3: What do we have to expect from your live performance?

Andy: I think, like I said, it's going to be a historical perspective with this 86 to 98 - playing all the songs that we recorded in that period. We will be doing most of the big songs in that period plus a couple of earlier songs as well. It will be more of a celebration of our history.

Martin: It won't be like four guys on stage playing their instruments. There's three.

Dave: And a few extras. I'll be singing.

Andy: And I'm working on my new dance routines as well!

Dave: A lot has happened since the last tour. There's been, like, the Spice Girls and stuff like that, so we have been working very hard.

Andy: We've been watching it very carefully, and I think fans are going to be surprised what's gonna be happening.

Dave: Our coordination's a little out, but we're getting there.

Andy: A bit rickety.

Question #4: The band has gone through some troubled times? Has that been an influence in your new album that's just come out?

Andy: We're won't actually be releasing a 'new' album, but there's gonna be some new songs. I dunno - I think the atmosphere that we're recording in at the moment - you see, it's a really good atmosphere, so perhaps that's the best way it's been an influence - the fact that we are all healthy and having a good time at the moment.

Dave: I think we're very grateful as well - I am anyway, I think I speak for the others - that we are getting to do this, you know? Making "Ultra" was a process, and it was like a lot of what you're talking about really, and now we're more comfortable. It's just really good to be working again.

Question #5: How many new songs are you going to present on your tour?

Dave: We'll be playing a few songs from "Ultra", and there'll be a new song from this greatest hits. There's a couple of new songs...

Andy: We've got a couple of new songs. We don't know if we'll play it yet.

Question #5a: Do you know how many there are?

Andy: In total, we'll be playing 18 to 19 songs, which we've got this one song that no one's heard yet, plus we've got another two songs that no one's heard yet. We're not sure if we're playing them. But, of course, we haven't performed the songs from "Ultra" yet as well - we only performed them a couple of times - so that's a good thing for the fans to look out for as well. It's quite strange, I have to say - sorry - that normally you do an album, then you do a tour. We, in fact, finally avoided that sort of routine, so it's quite nice that this actual tour will not be just promoting a new album as such, so it's going to be more of a historical perspective.

Martin: Live, I think, we play possibly about 18 songs usually - 18 to 20 songs. We sort of sat down and did the list of songs that we feel we have to play, and I think that we're at a stage now where there's about 16 songs over the last 12 years or so that we feel are not even contentious - we don't even argue about - that we feel we have to play. That's just how it is. There are 16 songs or so that I think people would feel cheated it we didn't play, so we build from that. So there's 16 songs you probably know we're going to play.

Dave: The last 16 singles - and a couple of really old ones!

Question #6 : Is Mr. Anton Corbijn - has he done visuals on the show?

Martin: No, Anton. (laughs) Sorry - you sounded very much like Anton did.

Dave: He may be involved in some of the stage show but we haven't yet decided on who we are going to use. We're still looking at, like, about three different designs, and just keeping an open mind. We haven't yet decided.

Question #7: It's been five years since your last tour. That's a really long time. Do you ever worry at all about your old fans might have withdrawn from you or do you have loyal fans?

Dave: I think our fans are really loyal. We've always been sort of - I don't know why, but we've pretty much created our own little niche and our fans have stuck with us and grown with us as well, which is really nice. Even today, just doing this press conference, there's quite a few fans outside - it's really nice. They've been very loyal to us. I don't think that's a worry. To be honest, I don't think it was a consideration. Like Martin said earlier, we just didn't even consider touring at all with the last record, and there's always been pretty big gaps in between our touring.

Andy: I think the thing is that we've been together 17 or 18 years, and we've seen bands come and go all the time - the latest "big thing", they come and they go - but we just concentrate on trying to make our music as good as possible and by doing that I think it is the best way you can actually keep your fans.

Martin: If you started worrying whether there's going to be fans there, I think you would start thinking about the music you make. We just make music for ourselves, music that we like and hopefully someone out there likes it and then people come along to the concerts. The music is the most important thing.

Andy: Yeah, right.

Martin: Yeah, right. (laughs)

Question #8: The 80's coming now back in fashion, does it influence your decision to go on a historical tour?

Dave: Well I don't think that you could ever say that we have been trendy. It's probably why we've lasted so long. It certainly helps, I'm sure.

Andy: We'd like to be seen as a band of the 90's. We don't try to get on all of these 80's compilations that come out. It just so happens that out music does span the 80's and 90's. In fact, most of the tracks on this new album are going to be from the 90's, so, no it doesn't.

Question #9: The last tour almost split up the entire band. What kind of precautions are you going to take this time to prevent that this time?

Martin: We've got rules that we keep.

Question #9a: What kind of rules

Martin: I only drink two days a week - you may laugh.

Question #10: You started your career in the 80's as a teeny-pop band. What do you want to be at the end of the 90's?

Andy: We wanna be back. .

Question #10a: What else?

Andy: I think it's nice to be considered at the end of the 90's still to be a credible, well known band, that's still making good music - I suppose.

Dave: Yeah, as I said, we're really fortunate to make records over virtually two decades. There's not many bands that get to do that. That's it, really. I think there's too much emphasis placed on 80's, 90's, 70's, 60's, whatever. We're still making music, and we still wanna play, and we still have fans that wanna come see us. It's as simple as that, really.

Andy: Also, we were very lucky we started very young as well. Hopefully we're still young now. Are we? 36 - is that young?

Martin: That was a serious question. (laughs)

Question #11: Are you nervous about being on the road again?

Dave: Well, sitting here now, I'm desperately trying to stop my body from shaking. I don't know, we did a couple of performances, just playing a few songs from "Ultra" at the launch parties that we did, and it was really nerve racking. But I think it is good to be nervous, you know - nervous energy can be put into performing. For me personally, it's pretty important. If I wasn't feeling nervous then I would think there was something wrong, but yeah, I am really nervous.

Question #12: How many people can we expect on stage on the new tour?

Andy: Well, we are going to use a drummer full time on stage - he's an Austrian guy, who's really good. We worked with us on a TV show - Christian Eigner. We'll probably have a couple of backing singers and perhaps one synth player. I don't know.

Martin: At the moment, Tim Simenon, our producer, wants to come on stage with us for a couple of songs and scratch.

Dave: Whatever that is. We're not quite sure. We heard it's quite "hip".

Question #13: In the beginning, you used a lot of keyboard playing, so now the guitar playing has become more and more important. Do you describe yourself now as a rock & roll band?

Martin: Not really, I started playing instruments when I was 13 - I started playing guitar. I didn't see a synthesiser 'til I was 18, so in a way it was unnatural for me to be a synthesiser player like for the first 10 years of our history - 7 years - whatever. So it was like a natural thing for me to progress and play guitar - that's how I started off. When we did our list of songs, if you look at it, it's about 80% of the songs I'll be playing the guitar on them, because 80% of our songs have guitars, but there are songs where I play the synthesiser.It's natural, and it's a natural thing for us to do.

Dave: I think as well, for me like all my favourite performers and singers have always been from great rock and roll bands - or what I've considered great rock & roll bands. Mick Jagger - like that.

Andy: Donny Osmond. (laughs)

Dave: Ummm...I can't think of any more.

Question #14: What about contemporary bands that are around now? Do you have any faves, Dave? Are there any bands you think might have been influnced by your sound?

Dave: I think there's probably a lot of bands that at some point have been influenced by what we do. Not necessarily the songs, but the way we work. Bands like Progidy and stuff. As far as us taking influences from them, I don't know. I think we've always just tried to keep listening to what's going on. The last record I bought was the Verve record. I liked that record.

Question #14a: What about Diesel Christ?

Martin: Diesel Christ, yeah.

Dave: Never heard of them. (laughter)

Martin: I like the idea of what they did with Songs Of Faith And Devotion. Take the album, and do it in a way that they thought we should have done it.

Dave: I'd like to hear that.

Martin: You know, had they done it right, it would have been interesting. I think what's really nice is, before our greatest hits - I hate that term "greatest hits" - The Singles 86 98 comes out, we've got this tribute album that comes out in the Summer, which is really interesting, because it's a lot of contemporary bands covering our songs. Finally, there's some good bands that have decided to cover our songs, and it doesn't originate from Sweden. (laughs) Sorry Frederick.

Question #15: Isn't it a strange feeling that other bands are covering your songs? Don't you get a feeling inside, or think 'Oh God, we've been in this business a bit too long', and it's time to throw your hands up and say 'That's enough' and fade away?

Andy: I think you have to look at what records you are making now, and if you still consider those records to be good then that's OK to carry on. The problem is getting to that stage. We think our last record was one of our best records, so we think that's good.

Dave: I think as long, as a band, we are interested in working with each other and interested in making music and performing it - if anything it is a compliment.

Martin: Isn't it the greatest honor you can have for a lot of contemporary bands to cover your songs and admit you are an influence? That's surely the greatest honour you can have. Why should we then say 'Oh, sorry. We've been in this game too long. I'm sorry. I take it as the greatest honour I could have.'.

Dave: And it's quite a wide spectrum of bands as well. You've got the top end like Smashing Pumpkins have done one, and The Cure. Who else is there, Mart.

Martin: The interesting thing about it is that it's a lot of alternative rock bands, so it's not particularly electronic based. It's coming from this American alternative rock angle, which we've been a great influence on.

Question #16: Any ideas about what bands are going to be playing? Any support acts?

Dave: Any sporting acts? (laughs) As Martin's said, Tim Simenon from Bomb The Bass is gonna - we haven't really thought about - we are thinking about it, but we haven't decided anything.

Martin: Whoever wants to support us we deicded it should be someone we dislike, because they pick up a lot of spare change.

Dave: And they have to wear armour.

Question #17: Are you going to rehearse in London?

Andy: In London probably, yeah. It's harder for Dave, 'cause he lives in New York now, but it's where our families live. When you go away for four months, you think it's important to be as close to them as possible before we go away.

Martin: It's also about common sense. We live there - two of us live there. There are rehearsal studios there. We could go somewhere else but common sense dictates the fact that maybe we should rehearse in London.

Dave: Plus we're all really selfish - and two beats one. (laughs).

Question #18: Which songs did those contemporary bands cover?

Andy: All across the board really.

Dave: Smashing Pumpkins did "Never Let Me Down Again", The Cure have covered "World In My Eyes", and there's all kinds of stuff like "Fly On The Windscreen", "Somebody", "In Your Room" -

Andy: Apollo 440 "I Feel You" -

Dave: It's not just singles, it's album tracks and b sides -

Intercord employee: And I'm sure there'll be a press conference for that, so can we have more questions regarding the tour.

Martin: That's an interesting angle...

Intercord employee: Well, I work for your record label do I.

Martin: I'm sorry, that's not coming out on Intercord, by the way.

Intercord employee: No offense to Polygram.

Question #19: How long do you plan on touring the States?

Andy: Same amount of time - about two months. We finish actually before Christmas so it's a nice package. Also, which is not on this list, we're thinking of doing some Eastern European gigs before Helsinki as well, maybe Russia, which we have never been to.

Dave: Stephanie.

Andy: This is the St. John's Wood correspondent.

Question #20: Is there anything new you'd like to experiment? Something you've never tried in the past, and now would be a good occasion becuase this would be one of the last tours?

Andy: Is this musically?

Martin: Apart from the dance routines we mentioned earlier?

Question #20a: Something new to transform your music - the way you play it live.

Dave: Yeah, using a drummer thoughout the whole show is something we experimented with on the Songs Of Faith And Devotion tour. We used backing singers there - that worked well, so we'll be using that. And Fletch said we need a keyboard player, because Alan's not with us anymore, and he played a lot of stuff. A couple of little things that we did with the "Ultra" party things we did, it really did transform the old songs quite a bit I think. For me, it felt a lot more exciting to feel a drummer behind me.

Question #21: Have you already been writing any new material?

Dave: Where have you been? (laughs)

Martin: We've been in the studio for the last two months, and we're finishing off a single at the moment. As we speak, actually. We get back tonight, and the mix should be finished - it was almost finished when we left yesterday, so we're going back and we'll finish it off tonight or tomorrow. And, there's a couple of other new songs that will go on the first soingle package. So, yeah, we have been working on new stuff.

Question #21a: Self-produced?

Martin: With Tim Simenon, from Bomb The Bass.

Question #21b: The scratcher?

Martin: yeah, that guy who scratches his head.

Question #22: When can your fans expect a new album?

Andy: God knows. Actually, the good thing is with this tour being only four months long - I think we all agree that we haven't released as many records as we should have, over the last six or seven years. That's what our fans think. The average person on the street probably doesn't (inaudible). Sp it would be good to get an album done as soon as possible, but I can't tell you when that will be.

Martin: These days, it's seems to be tradition that it's three or four years between albums. I don't know if it will actually get any quicker, but -

Dave: Don't hold your breath.

Martin: I find it incredible that we released an album every year for the first seven years of our career. How I did that, don't ask me. But then, I've listened to them. Yeah - ask me. (laughter)

Question #23: You said you're going to do some dates before Helsinki, but your tour is going to start in Holland?

Andy: Well not if we're going to do some dates before then.

Dave: Duh.

Andy: We are thinking about that, because we've got a lot of fans in the Eastern part of Europe, and it would be nice to do a few warm-up gigs out there. We don't know when they are yet.

Martin: We've got a good idea, but as the press is here, 'No, we haven't got a clue'.

Dave: Actually, we know.

Question #24: Martin, you insisted on the fact that you're using a keyboarder, and a full-time drummer. Do you need to play everything live, every night? Other bands get away with playing DAT's.

Dave: It's a very interesting question. It's weird that we've never heard a question like that before. We always got attacked for years and years and years for doing that, and probably been one of the first bands to do that, and openly admit to it. Bands have been doing that for years, whether it be Pink Floyd or Depeche Mode. For us, it's something very different to try and perform a lot of the stuff live. But we were using computers on stage, so -

Martin: It's still impossible for us to play absolutely everything live, because our records are too complex. Of course we have to run computers. It's a fact, and I think anyone with any sense will realise that we have to run computers live.

Question #25: Andy, what kind of role do you have in the band now.

Andy: Say a few jokes, do introductions to speeches at dinners, things like that.

Question #25a: The other members - do they trust you.

Andy: They don't trust me at all, no. It's by sheer stealth I've managed to keep in here.

Thank You To The Band / Band Exit

1998-04-20 - ITV (UK) - London Tonight

We don't have this item. Not hosted online.

1998-04-21 - Radio 1 (UK) - Band interview

Offline Angelinda

• Assistant
  • Damaged People
« Reply #18 on: 03 May 2012 - 04:31:00 »
1998-04-21 - Ilta-Sanomat (Finland) - Singles Tour

[Thanks to AnnaIndie for scanning this for this forum!]

1998-04-21 -Leipziger Volkszeitung (Germany) - Aufstand der Totgesagten

[Thanks to farmclub for scanning this for this forum!]

1998-04-21 - Associated Press - Depeche Mode plan new tour

http://www.aparchive.com/metadata/Germany-Depeche-Mode-plan-new-tour/8ecdd26742a7c1c7eabade513ac6eb48

Depeche Mode plan new tour
DEPECHE MODE / COLOGNE / 20TH APRIL
The Modes plan to take to the road

Eighties synth masters, Depeche Mode, are finally returning to the road this autumn. The band - Dave Gahan, Martin Gore, Andrew Fletcher - announced plans to tour Europe in September and October during a packed press conference in Cologne Monday (20/04). The new tour, called 'Singles Tour 86-88' will be the first time the band have played lived since 1993. The band also plan to release a new singles compilation album which will also include some new tracks. The band released their last album 'Ultra' in 1997.

Offline Angelinda

• Assistant
  • Damaged People
« Reply #19 on: 03 May 2012 - 04:31:19 »
1998-04-23 - Billboard (US) - Depeche Mode Updated With New Songs, Tour

http://www.billboard.com/search/?Nty=1&Ntx=mode%2Bmatchallpartial&Ntk=Keyword&Ns=FULL_DATE%7C1&Ne=125&N=126&Ntt=Depeche+Mode&page=4#/news/depeche-mode-updated-with-new-songs-tour-951921.story

Depeche Mode Updated With New Songs, Tour

Its name may mean fast style, but, after years of dragging its feet, synth pop pioneer Depeche Mode will deliver its second singles collection. Due Oct. 13 on Reprise/Mute, "The Singles 86-98" will feature two new tunes by the British band.

1998-04-23 - XFM (UK) - Gary Crowley: Fletch interview

1998-04-26 - BBC2 (UK) - The O-Zone

Offline Angelinda

• Assistant
  • Damaged People
« Reply #20 on: 03 May 2012 - 04:32:04 »
1998-04-29 - MTV (US) - Depeche Mode Talks Tour, Plans U.S. Visit In October

http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1428021/depeche-mode-talks-tour-plans-us-visit-october.jhtml

Apr 29 1998 12:00 PM EDT 43
Depeche Mode Talks Tour, Plans U.S. Visit In October

The members of Depeche Mode thought they had said good-bye to the road five years ago, but have decided to mount a tour this fall that will mark the band's first tour since frontman Dave Gahan's 1996 heroin bust and subsequent rehab.
"When we finished the last tour, we thought maybe it would be the last Depeche Mode tour, but we've since recorded what we think is a very good album," keyboardist Andrew Fletcher said at a press conference in Germany last week when the band announced its tour plans.
"We've been in the studio for the last three months, recorded new material. This next tour which we're all very happy about, we think it's going to be one of the best Depeche Mode tours... We're going to be doing all our best tracks from the last 10 to 12 years [800k QuickTime], so it's going to be a historical perspective and we're very much looking forward to it."
The band's setlist looks as if it will echo the upcoming two-record collection of singles due out in October dubbed "The Singles, 86 to 98." As we reported earlier this month (see "Depeche Mode To Tour U.S. In Winter"), the band's tour will be in support of that CD, which will also feature a couple of new tracks, the first fresh material from the band since 1997's "Ultra." The first single, "Only When I Lose Myself," will be released to radio in late September with the tour kicking off in Eastern Europe earlier that month.
The band said that such a hits-happy setlist in concert is only natural after so many years together.
"I think there's about 16 songs over the last 12 years or so that... we don't even argue about, that we feel we have to play," guitarist Martin Gore added. "You know, that is how it is. There are 16 songs or so that I think people would feel cheated if we didn't play, so we build from that.
"The last 16 singles," [450k QuickTime] Gahan noted.
The U.S. leg of the DM tour starts in late October, with the band promising to play multiple-night stands at arena size venues.
No dates are available just yet, but we'll keep you posted.
There's also a Depeche Mode tribute album due in August, with tracks by Smashing Pumpkins, the Cure, God Lives Underwater, the Deftones, and more.

Offline Angelinda

• Assistant
  • Damaged People
« Reply #21 on: 03 May 2012 - 04:33:03 »
1998-04-29 - NME (UK) - The Mode to Wembley Singles Tour Announcement

[Thanks to mossy for scanning this for this forum!]

http://web.archive.org/web/20010724195325/http://www.nme.com/NME/External/News/News_Story/0,1004,182,00.html

DEPECHE MODE ANNOUNCE 1998 EUROPEAN TOUR
DEPECHE MODE have announced their European and UK dates - the Basildon beatmeisters' first for five years - at a press conference this week sin Cologne, Germany.
The tour coincides with the release of a compilation album, 'Singles 86-98', the companion to 'Singles 81-85'. It will include new single 'Only When I Lose Myself', which has just been completed with Tim Simenon, who produced the band's 'Ultra' album. It will be one of three new tracks recorded for the new singles package.
Apart from a low-key set at a party at Battersea's Adrenaline Village last year, Depeche Mode have not played in the UK since the 'Devotional' tour in 1993. The band didn't tour to promote last year's 'Ultra' album due to the departure of long-time member Alan Wilder and Dave Gahan's well-publicised drug addiction.
"There were lots of times that we considered quitting," Andy Fletcher said in Cologne, "but now I think there's a pretty good vibe in the band and we feel fresh."
"It's taken us a long time to mature in more ways than one," added Gahan. "Alan left a big hole, he was very much the musician in the band, so it was a case of finding new people to work with." He then joked: "Lots of things have happened since our last tour. We've been closely following the Spice Girls' career. Just wait until you see our new dance choreography!"
"The stuff that we're doing now has a really heavy R&B feel," said Fletcher. "A lot of that comes from Tim (Simenon), who's really into Marvin Gaye and slow, sultry grooves. In our old age that appeals to us... the Zimmer frame stuff that doesn't go over 100bpm."
Later this year, a Depeche Mode tribute album called 'For The Masses' will be released featuring Smashing Pumpkins ('Never Let Me Down Again'), The Cure ('World In My Eyes'), The Deftones ('To Have To Hold'), Foo Fighters ('Master And Servant'), Gus Gus ('Monument') and Smash Mouth ('People Are People'). Other acts include Apollo 440, Mekon, Hooverphonic, Monster Magnet, God Lives Underwater and Dishwalla.
Depeche Mode's European concert dates in full are: Helsinki Hartwall Arena (September 9), Copenhagen Multi Hall (11), Gothenburg Scandinavium (12), Stockholm Globe (13), Prague Sports Hall (15), Vienna Stadthalle (16), Munich Olympiahalle (18), Berlin Waldbuhne (19), Erfurt Messehalle (20), Brussels Forest National (22), Stuttgart Schleyerhalle (23), Zurich Hallenstadion (25), Bologna Palasport (26), Milan Forum (27), London Wembley Arena (29), Manchester Nynex (October 2), Birmingham NEC (3), Cologne Arena (5), Paris Bercy (7), Hannover Messehalle (9), Leipzig Messehalle (10), Frankfurt Festhalle (11), Marseilles Dome (13), Zaragoza Sports Hall (15), Barcelona Palau St Jordi (16), Spain (TBA).
For tickets, call the NME 24-hour Ticketline on 0870 1212 500. Calls are charged at national standard rate. To see more on indie Click here

1998-04-29 - Les Inrockuptibles N°149 (France) - Ultra moderne solitude

[Thanks to KFDM from Depeche-mode.be for uploading this on their site.]

http://www.depeche-mode.be/magazines.html/_/1990-1999/les-inrockuptibles-r764

Offline Angelinda

• Assistant
  • Damaged People
« Reply #22 on: 03 May 2012 - 04:33:29 »
1998-04-30 - Release Magazine (Sweden) - News

http://www.releasemagazine.net/News/news980430.htm

We published the Scandinavian Depeche Mode "The Singles Tour 86-98" dates in September the same day they were released, here on this site, but here are some more info:
They will play in Helsinki (Hartwall Arena, capacity 11 500 people), Copenhagen (Multi Hall, capacity 10 000), Gothenburg (Scandinavium, capacity 9 400) and Stockholm (Globen, capacity 12 000). The plans for a smaller tour this time with maybe just one or two Scandinavian stops were thrown away. The tickets are released on May 18.
In Gothenburg, the club Romo Night will launch a pre-party the day before the gig.
It is now around five years since Depeche Mode did their 15 months "Devotional" tour, which was visited by as much as two million people. But even more impressive - they have sold over 35 million albums throughout the years.
The compilation "The Singles 86-98" is scheduled for October, but a brand new single will be out when the tour starts. The new tour takes off in Scandinavia and continues through the rest of Europe and at the end of the year Depeche Mode goes to USA. See the Mute homepage at "Links" for a full tour schedule.

Offline Angelinda

• Assistant
  • Damaged People
« Reply #23 on: 03 May 2012 - 04:34:12 »
1998-04-xx - MIX (Finland) - Depeche Moden musta paraati

[Thanks to AnnaIndie for scanning this for this forum!]

Offline Angelinda

• Assistant
  • Damaged People
« Reply #24 on: 03 May 2012 - 04:34:35 »
1998-04-xx - Musikexpress (Germany) - Daniel Miller

http://home.arcor.de/dmpool/com/presse.html

http://www.musikexpress.de/das-archiv/article204533/sie-beeinflussten-ein-ganzes-genre-depeche-mode.html
Sie beeinflußten ein ganzes Genre: Depeche Mode
Modemacher
Totgesagte leben länger. Und wer so oft totgesagt wurde wie Depeche Mode, der ist längst unsterblich. Vor allem, seit sich die Herren Martin Gore, Andy "Fletch" Fletcher und Dave Gahan kürzlich zu einem wahrlich furiosen Comeback durchringen konnten: "Ultra" geriet nicht nur zu einem Meisterwerk mit Langzeitwirkung, sondern ist auch künstlerisches Dokument von Gahans überwundener Drogensucht. Martin Gore bestätigt, daß sich die überwundene Krise in der Musik niedergeschlagen hat: "Viele Songs handeln vom Schicksal. Das gibt dem Album eine spirituelle Qualität." Ob spirituell oder einfach nur tanzbar - Qualität liefern Depeche Mode immer ab, wie "It's NoGood" auf der CD im ME eindrucksvoll belegt.

Offline Angelinda

• Assistant
  • Damaged People
« Reply #25 on: 03 May 2012 - 04:35:50 »
1998-04-xx - ZTV (Sweden) - Andy Fletcher Interview

http://web.archive.org/web/19981203063527/http://depeche-mode.com/greatest.htm#current

Listen to Z-TV's interview with Andy Fletcher from April. Andy talks about the band, the new single, and the upcoming album and tour.

[Link  no longer working.]

1998-04-xx - Sonic Seducer (Germany) - Der Phönix aus der Asche

[Thanks to Mister Dark for scanning this.]

Offline Angelinda

• Assistant
  • Damaged People
« Reply #26 on: 03 May 2012 - 04:36:08 »
1998-05-06 - MTV (US) - God Lives Underwater On Skinny Puppy, Depeche Mode Projects

http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1428020/god-lives-underwater-on-skinny-puppy-depeche-mode-projects.jhtml

mei 6 1998 2:00 PM EDT 101
God Lives Underwater On Skinny Puppy, Depeche Mode Projects

God Lives Underwater will be popping up on the pending Skinny Puppy remix album, and the band is also organizing what's turning into a major tribute to Depeche Mode.
Project manager Jeff Antebi confirms that GLU will be participating on the as yet unnamed Skinny Puppy record for the Nettwerk label, but adds that a specific song has yet to be chosen. GLU will be joining fellow Philadelphian Josh Wink (song TBA) along with Chris Vrenna ("Assimilate"), Adrian Sherwood ("Tin Omen"), Autechre (TBA), Rhys Fulber ("Worlock") and Ruby ("Smothered Hope").
Antebi says he's looking for artist-oriented remixes and expects to add another three to five tracks to the record. There's no release date or album title at this time.
Skinny Puppy were pioneers of the industrial goth genre and stood shoulder to shoulder with the likes of Ministry and Nine Inch Nails. They were first formed in 1982 and disintegrated in the early 1990s.
GLU will be squeezing the Puppy remix into a schedule that includes a current tour supporting their just released second album, "Life in the So-Called Space Age," and overseeing their pet project, a tribute record honoring Depeche Mode. California's BAM magazine reports that the tribute, called "For the Masses," is shrouded in secrecy, but will probably feature GLU ("Fly on the Windscreen"), the Cure ("World in My Eyes"), Trent Reznor ("Personal Jesus"), Smashing Pumpkins ("Never Let Me Down Again"), Failure ("Enjoy the Silence"), Meat Beat Manifesto ("Everything Counts"), Apollo Four Forty ("I Feel You"), Dishwalla ("Policy of Truth"), Deftones ("To Have and to Hold"), Monster Magnet ("Black Celebration"), Hooverphonic ("Shake the Disease"), Smashmouth ("People are People"), Foo Fighters ("Master & Servant"), and Self ("Shame"). The album is due in August.
The glue of GLU is the songwriting/programming/guitar team of David Reilly and Jeff Turzo. They're joined on the road by drummer Scott Garrett and guitarist Andrew McGee.

Offline Angelinda

• Assistant
  • Damaged People
« Reply #27 on: 03 May 2012 - 04:36:52 »
1998-05-06 - JAMtv (Canada) - The Cure news

http://www.chainofflowers.com/may98.htm

http://www.jamtv.com/sections/jacked/text/newsdefault.asp

(...)

In addition to a new album, the Cure have contributed original songs to two upcoming compilation albums. They recorded "World In My Eyes" for the forthcoming Depeche Mode tribute -- For The Masses -- which has a tentative release date of Aug. 4. They also cut a new song called "More Than This" (an original, not a cover of the Roxy Music song) for the X Files soundtrack, which should hit stores on June 2.

(...)

1998-05-08 - MTV (US) - Depeche Mode's Gahan on the Tribute Treatment

http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1428019/depeche-modes-gahan-on-tribute-treatment.jhtml

Depeche Mode’s Gahan on the Tribute Treatment

After the successful release of “Ultra,” its thirteenth album, last year, Depeche Mode is planning to make a full-blown return this year with a European and American tour, a double album retrospective and, to top it all off, the band will receive the tribute treatment.
As we previously reported (see “GLU On Skinny Puppy, Depeche Mode Projects”), the upcoming Depeche Mode tribute album being organized by God Lives Underwater will feature reworkings of the band’s material by such artists as the Smashing Pumpkins, the Cure, the Foo Fighters, Smashmouth and the Deftones.
“It’s really flattering,” commented Depeche Mode singer Dave Gahan to MTV News about the tribute album. “It’s interesting to hear other people’s perspective on our songs and the way that they hear them and the way that musically they record them”
“I particularly like the Smashing Pumpkins version of “Never Let Me Down,” Gahan said, “because it’s kind of like the opposite of what you’d expect the Pumpkins to do with it. I actually like their version a lot better than ours.”
The Depeche Mode tribute album is scheduled to arrive in stores in August, while (see “Depeche Mode Talks Tour, Will Visit The U.S. …”) the band plans to launch its first American tour in five years this October to coincide with the release of the greatest hits set.

1998-05-08 - JAMtv (Canada) - Depeche Mode tribute

Some Depeche Mode tribute articles. This one is from JAMtv :
http://www.jamtv.com/sections/jacked/text/newsdefault.asp

Although many "Blasphemous Rumours" have circulated about the project, the "Policy of Truth" is that the final track listing for the Depeche Mode tribute album is now available.

For The Masses is set for an Aug. 4 release on 1500 Records and has been a work-in-progress for nearly two years, according to Gary Richards, co-head of the label and co-producer on the project.

"A couple of years ago, my roommates and I were sitting around one night and thought it'd be a good idea to have some of our friends record Depeche Mode songs," Richards told JAMTV on Thursday. "It just kind of snowballed from there."

The roommates Richards speaks of are Jeff Turzo and David Reilly of God Lives Underwater. (Turzo co-produced the project with Richards.) The duo often played "Stripped" during their live shows, and talked about recording the song. Then the album sprouted.

The first track recorded for the album was "Enjoy The Silence" by Failure. Ken Andrews, singer for the L.A.-based trio, was a friend of Richards and his roommates.

Then, the organizers discovered the Deftones had recorded "Sweetest Perfection," a song from Depeche Mode's 1990 release, Violator. When approached, the Deftones wanted to re-record the song with Terry Date, who produced their two albums, Adrenaline and Around the Fur. However, the Deftones ended up scrapping "Sweetest Perfection" and instead recorded "To Have and to Hold" from 1987's Music For The Masses.

After that, the word got out and bands began swarming to Richards and Turzo. "We never told any band what song they could record," Richards said. "Each band chose their own and if it wasn't already being recorded, they took it."

So who signed on? The Cure ("World In My Eyes"), the Smashing Pumpkins ("Never Let Me Down Again"), God Lives Underwater ("Fly On The Windscreen"), Dishwalla ("Policy Of Truth") and Veruca Salt ("Somebody"), among others.

Although Veruca Salt broke up more than two months ago after co-founder Nina Gordon left to pursue a solo career, Richards said their version of "Somebody" was recorded within the last six weeks. He received it on April 19. "It was the last song to come in," he said.

When asked if this was the last project Gordon and Louise Post collaborated on, Richards said their management told him "yes," but that he thinks it was just Post who cut the track. "I know she really wanted to record the song. I think she's carrying on with the Veruca Salt name."

Richards explained that while many good bands contributed tracks, not all of the songs were used. "We made this album based on the love for music and we got bands that would do the music justice," he said. "Some songs came in from some really cool bands, but they didn't cover the song right and we didn't use them."

While many artists clamored to get a song on the tribute, Depeche Mode frontman Dave Gahan specifically requested that Marilyn Manson record a track. Unfortunately, the shock rockers are currently working on the follow-up to 1996's Antichrist Superstar and were too busy to record "Personal Jesus," as hoped.

Richards also really wanted Trent Reznor -- who is reportedly a huge Depeche Mode fan -- to contribute a track, but he was too swamped working on the next Nine Inch Nails album. "I don't know what song he would've recorded, but I am sure it would've been incredible," Richards said. The Foo Fighters and Bush also wanted to contribute tracks, but couldn't squeeze the project into their schedules.

Richards admits that although he and Turzo put the album together, he owes all the credit to his inspiration, Depeche Mode songwriter Martin Gore. "Depeche Mode is our Beatles. We put Martin Gore into the same category as John Lennon when it comes to writing songs."

Depeche Mode spokesman Michael Pagnotta told JAMTV that the band is very happy about the tribute and are pleased with the contributing artists' interpretation of their music. (Ari Bendersky)

Full track listing for For The Masses:
1."Never Let Me Down Again" - Smashing Pumpkins
2."Fly On The Windshield" - God Lives Underwater
3."Enjoy The Silence" - Failure
4."World In My Eyes" - The Cure
5."Policy Of Truth" - Dishwalla
6."Somebody" - Veruca Salt
7."Everything Counts" - Meat Beat Manifesto
8."Shake The Disease" - Hooverphonic
9."Master & Servant" - Locust
10."Shame" - Self
11."Black Celebration" - Monster Magnet
12."Waiting For The Night" - Rabbit in the Moon
13."I Feel You" - Apollo 440
14."Monument" - Gus Gus
15."To Have And To Hold" - Deftones
16."Stripped" - Rammstein

Offline Angelinda

• Assistant
  • Damaged People
« Reply #28 on: 03 May 2012 - 04:37:48 »
1998-05-13 - Release Magazine (Sweden) - News

http://www.releasemagazine.net/News/news980513.htm

As a great fan of football Andy Fletcher from Depeche Mode visits Stockholm for the Chelsea v/s Stuttgart final play of Cup Winner's Cup on Råsunda Stadium.
- Me and some friends try to get away and follow our team Chelsea around in Europe. It is really a good way to relax and get together, says Fletch and seems to enjoy his stay in Sweden.
Chelsea-fans haven't got the best reputation but Andy comments:
- It's not really like what they write in the press. In England we bring our children along to the arena and it's not really any riots going on nowadays. The sad thing is, when a few fans get too much to drink they loose control and make a mess for everyone. I hope there will be a good game tonight without incidents.
The new Depeche Mode single will be named "Only When I Lose Myself". The band has made two more new songs, of whom one is an instrumental.
- The new single song will have a medium beat and is a beautiful lovesong. The sound will be similar to "Ultra" and Tim Simenon is the producer as well.
Andy is enthusiastic about the forthcoming tour starting in September, and he thinks it was a good idea to take such a long break without any concerts.
- The Devotional-tour nearly killed us all and now we will be back with greater strength and we are ready to give our fans a show they really will like with a lot of old material as well as the latest songs. There will also be surprises, for example songs that we haven't played for a long time.
There will be a Depeche Mode feature in Release Music Magazine 2/98 and a short story in the coming issue 1/98.

Offline Angelinda

• Assistant
  • Damaged People
« Reply #29 on: 03 May 2012 - 04:40:30 »
1998-05-14 - The Onion (US) - DA Pennebaker interview

http://web.archive.org/web/20030217205040/http://www.theavclub.com/avclub3318/avfeature3318.html

Volume 33 Issue 18

(…)

O: You'd figure there would at least be a built-in audience for the music films you've done, like Depeche Mode 101.
DP: Well, Warner Bros. owned that pretty much from the start. And actually, we tried a peculiar kind of theatrical distribution for that. We had a guy out in Los Angeles who would run it during long weekends in various mall theaters where he thought that audience would abound. And it did marvelously in the beginning, but pretty soon Warners decided it wanted to sell it on home video, because that's where all the money is. They weren't really interested in a theatrical release, although we were and the band was, just because it was such a terrific experience for a lot of the fans to go see the film. But eventually, people just didn't want to tie up their theaters, even at two or three days at a clip. But by then, the video had gone platinum in about six weeks, so it was really out of our hands.
O: How did you become involved with Depeche Mode?
DP: Well, they came to us.
O: The band or the record company?
DP: A guy who managed the band, who is now with Capitol; he represented the band in the U.S., and he came to us and said, "Would you like to do a film with the band?" We didn't know who they were. We had no idea. We had never listened to them. The first time we listened to them, we thought it was nice, but that all the songs sounded the same—as is always the case with anything, you know, even if it were Brahms or anything else. So then I went off to one of their shows... Were you ever a fan of Depeche Mode?
O: No, but my sister was.
DP: We were a little uncertain about the whole project, because they really wanted a big film. So I went to one of their concerts in Oregon, and I was really knocked out by their audience. It came over me that their audience only went to Depeche Mode concerts. They didn't go to any other concerts, so it wasn't like a shared audience or anything. So I was kind of intrigued that they had this strange audience that was kind of like a Druid ceremony, you know, all making mystic signs and whatnot. So we got kind of intrigued by [Depeche Mode] and the possibility of making a film with them, and by the end we had gotten to like them a lot.
O: Well, the band has kind of a reputation for leading wild, hedonistic lives.
DP: Well, actually they don't. There are three guys: Alan [Wilder] was never really part of the original group, and I think he's out of it now, but he was the consummate musician of the group, so they all turned to him to see that they played the right chords and whatnot. But they really were just three working-class kids who came from a little place outside of London, and they had all grown up together and gone to the same school, and they had doped out together. They had no manager, so they really managed themselves. I mean, they had this guy from Mute Records who would advise them on certain things, but he basically just liked them. He didn't try to tell them what to do or anything. But they had figured out this incredible system for making money where all of their stuff was on a pre-recorded tape, so they didn't need drummers or the rest of the band. And there were really only two of them, because one of them, his keyboard wasn't even plugged in, since he was such a terrible musician. So it was really just two of them doing all this. It was kind of wonderful that they had figured out this system, and they could go in and take hundreds of thousands of dollars out of a town, and the people of the town didn't even know who they were, except for the kids. They were like buccaneers who'd go down around the Caribbean looting little islands. We kind of dug that about them.

1998-05-14 - ZTV (Sweden) - Nytt

Interview Fletch about soccer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qjz9aZE6E_0

1998-05-16 - Arte (France) - Documentary

1998-05-18 - chainofflowers.com - News

1500 Records has put up a teaser image of the Depeche Mode tribute album.
http://www.1500records.com/depechemode/index.html