Depeche Mode Television Archives Forum

Author Topic: 2017: Null + Void - song featuring Dave Gahan  (Read 2828 times)

Offline Angelinda

• Assistant
  • Damaged People
2017: Null + Void - song featuring Dave Gahan
« on: 23 October 2011 - 23:13:48 »
This thread is about any collaboration that Dave Gahan did for Kurt Uenala's own projects. So far, there seem to be at least 2 songs from Kurt on which Dave sang:
2010: Dave Gahan sings a vocal on Kurt's unreleased album "I Spit On Your Rave".
2017: Kurt says that he still has all unreleased Kap10Kurt songs, "Maybe one day I’ll release them for kicks." This might possibly also contain the vocal from "I Spit On Your Rave".

2012: Kurt and Dave work on some songs with no plan in mind, Dave keeps some songs for DM. On 2012-10-23, DM release a teaser for Delta Machine: the teaser shows a whiteboard that lists 13 song titles, and one of those is 'Wait', which was not put on Delta Machine. PeterToo says on the HOME forum that another title for that track was 'Where I Wait'.
2013: Kurt says that some of the songs that he and Dave wrote together were still unreleased.
2017: Dave sings a vocal on Kurt's new album "Cryosleep" released in October 2017, part of Kurt's new project "Null + Void". The song is called 'Where I Wait'.
2017-06-30: Photobucket has disabled external image hosting, all scans will have to be re-uploaded on another site.

Offline Angelinda

• Assistant
  • Damaged People
« Reply #1 on: 04 July 2012 - 05:13:57 »
2010-11-xx - Kap10Kurt - News

http://www.kap10kurt.com/index.php?page=bio

(...)
watch out for the album "i spit on your rave" coming in spring 2011 feat vocals by Yelle, Dave Gahan of Depeche and many more
(...)
2017-06-30: Photobucket has disabled external image hosting, all scans will have to be re-uploaded on another site.

Offline Angelinda

• Assistant
  • Damaged People
« Reply #2 on: 27 March 2013 - 03:43:17 »
2013-03-26 - 20 Minutes (Switzerland) - Kurt Uenala interview

http://www.20min.ch/entertainment/musik/story/-Depeche-Mode-sind-eine-Demokratie--23135380
http://www.20min.ch/ro/musique/news/story/Un-Suisse-a-ecrit-trois-titres-pour-Depeche-Mode-10236369

French version:

(...)

Comment avez-vous connu Dave Gahan, le chanteur du groupe, avec qui vous avez écrit les trois morceaux?
Un ami producteur m’avait conseillé d’enregistrer des démos pour l’album de 2005 «Playing The Angel». A cette époque, Dave se construisait un petit studio. Je lui ai acheté du mobilier. Et l’an dernier, il a chanté sur un titre de mon projet solo, Kap10Kurt. Ça a si bien fonctionné entre nous que nous avons décidé de continuer notre collaboration.

(...)

Quels sont vos prochains projets?
Je suis en pleine préparation du nouvel album du groupe The Big Pink, que je vais co-produire. Ensuite, j’ai vraiment envie de terminer des nouvelles chansons pour mon projet solo et de donner quelques concerts. En ce qui concerne Dave et moi, nous allons écrire de nouveaux morceaux. D’ailleurs, nous en avons déjà un en boîte mais qui n’a pas encore été publié.

(...)

German version:

(...)

Den haben Sie nun erreicht. Wie haben Sie Dave Gahan kennengelernt?
Ein befreundeter Produzent empfahl mich, um Demos für die Platte «Playing The Angel» aufzunehmen. Dave hatte sich gerade ein kleines Tonstudio eingerichtet – und wir mussten als erstes noch Möbel einkaufen. Letztes Jahr sang Dave ein Lied für mein Solo-Projekt kap10kurt. Es hat so perfekt geklickt, dass wir uns entschieden weiterzukomponieren.

(...)

Wie sehen Ihre nächsten Projekte aus?
Ich stecke in den Vorbereitungen für eine Platte mit der Band The Big Pink, die ich co-produzieren soll. Dann will ich unbedingt neue Songs für mein Solo-Projekt fertigstellen und wieder mal ein paar Konzerte spielen. Dave und ich werden auch weiter an neuen Songs schreiben. Wir haben schon einen im Kasten, der noch nicht veröffentlicht ist.

(...)

Offline Angelinda

• Assistant
  • Damaged People
« Reply #3 on: 25 October 2013 - 05:58:31 »
2013-04-12 - staticmultimedia (US) - Dave Gahan interview

http://staticmultimedia.com/music/features-interviews/dave-gahan-talks-about-depeche-modes-delta-machine

(...)

That must have been very refreshing for you. I mean, you didn’t take the holiday you deserved after an 18 month tour, but went straight into recording the Soulsavers album, followed by Delta Machine. So, in what way did this collaboration stimulate you for Depeche Mode then?
Well, it was one led to the other. And then Soulsavers record led me to continue writing with Kurt. Kurt was working with me in the studio, engineering and recording the vocals for me for Soulsavers. Once I’ve written the idea I would go into the studio in New York and Kurt recorded all my vocals for that record. And whilst we were recording, we started to play around with ideas. He said one day: “I have this kind of melody idea”. And I said: “Well, give it to me and let’s see what happens”. And really it was something that he, it was just going to be for himself. He goes under the name Captain Kurt. And it’s instrumental based electronics. And he’s done some remixes – I think – for me in the past and also for the band. We’re friends and he gave me this thing. And I wrote a song to it, and we recorded it. And so in between doing Soulsavers things we began demoing songs. Really after three or four, I said: You know, I think, I know you wanted to maybe use this for your own project. But if you’re interested I’d like to play some of these songs to my band. And so that’s what happened.

(...)

Offline Angelinda

• Assistant
  • Damaged People
« Reply #4 on: 06 July 2017 - 23:04:06 »
2017-01-17/24 - @suinakashima/@jennyatwoodsmith on Instagram

[Model Sui Nakashima and make-up artist Jenny Smith uploaded photos of themselves with Dave Gahan on Instagram within a few days' time in January 2017. Sui has worked with Tomothy Saccenti a lot, including in 2013 for Depeche Mode's special showcase screen projections. Judging by Jenny's description, Timothy Saccenti has directed a new music video, which should be released in August. Jenny Smith deleted her photos a few hours later. Initially, Depeche Mode fans thought that this would be a music video for Depeche Mode, but on 2017-09-18, Kurt Uenala released a promo photo of him and Dave which reveals that this music video will be for Kurt's 'Null + Void' project: https://www.facebook.com/hfnmusic/posts/1612243202139929:0]

https://www.instagram.com/p/BPXegrQh4ub/?taken-by=suinakashima

I met Mr. Dave from Depche mode recently after appearing in some of their music video. #depechemode #legend #dreamcametrue #musicvideo #modeling #model #actress #portrait #blackandwhite #nycmodel #nyc

https://www.instagram.com/p/BPofVjzjqFS/?taken-by=jennyatwoodsmith

Beyond super grateful and excited to share that I got to work with Dave Gahan last week! Depeche Mode has gotten me through some of my best times & some of my hardest times in life and continues to effect me in such a meaningful way. Music holds a special place in time in our lives and our hearts. So many treasured times of dancing the night away to Depeche Mode! The new video should be out in August! #justcantgetenough #DaveGahan #DepecheMode

https://www.instagram.com/p/BPogis6jhX-/?taken-by=jennyatwoodsmith

Onset the other day with Dave Gahan like, "Do you have a side?" #DaveGahan #DepecheMode #casual

Offline Angelinda

• Assistant
  • Damaged People
« Reply #5 on: 06 July 2017 - 23:20:09 »
2017-03-22 - HOME - Interview with Kurt Uenala

http://www.depeche-mode.com/2017/03/22/interview-kurt-uenala/

Interview: Kurt Uenala
by PeterToo

Kurt Uenala, long time Depeche Mode-collaborator, is releasing his new single under the moniker Null+Void this week. We caught up with him in Paris where he’s currently on tour with Depeche Mode.
The single, “Asphalt Kiss”, is a brooding, menacing electro track; a departure from Kurt’s former alter ego Kap10kurt.

Peter: You’ve gone dark! What the hell happened?
Kurt: Ha! Yeah, lots of crap. Death in the family and unhappy love stories. I’ll tell you all the gory details another time. You’ll hear the rest of the album when it’s ready. It’s quite somber too.
I spent lots of time in the studio, which was healing. But yeah, this one is more deranged and mad. I’m all good now though.

P: Is the new sound a reflection of those things?
K: Yes, I think very much so. The other songs will make sense too. This (Asphalt Kiss) is the meanest one. Falling on your face. So yeah. I wanted to create a hectic and deranged song that feels like you are being chased by demons. You might feel safe for a second in your hiding place but soon enough you get spotted and you run again. But works also from the viewpoint of the hunter. It was fun making it. Big fat black modular synth.

P: So what happened to the Kap10? Is that project over?
K: Totally. I am not feeling the euphoria anymore like I did at that moment. Still hopeful but not the same (haha). No more “Dangerseekers” hands-in-the-air!

P: I was still hoping for a Kap10kurt album at some point, but this new direction is certainly welcome too!
K: Oh, good. Danke. I still have those songs. Maybe one day I’ll release them for kicks.

[...]

P: Anyway (!) back to you… Null+Void – what’s in the name?
K: I just wanted something grey and empty. There’s hope in the music for sure, but I liked the bleakness of the album. The name went well with the tracks.

P: And the album – is it all instrumental like the single, or are there vocals too?
K: Vocals too! Four singers and some artificial voices. Four humans…

P: (Laughs) Human singers – got it!
K: Yes! Some known, some not so known.

P: I would be remiss if I didn’t ask about your history with DM – this is for a Mode fan site after all… how did you end up working with them?
K: Yeah, so I was working with Brian Sperber, a producer who does mainly rock stuff. We did a Moby album together at the time I think. I was doing light programming and mainly editing drums. He was friends with the manager of a studio in NYC called Electric Lady which was Jimi Hendrix’ studio back in the day. So the manager is friends with Dave and she asked the producer that hired me if he would want to help Dave record demos for what would become “Playing The Angel”. My producer friend declined as he doesn’t do demos. But he knew I was a synth maniac and could do the job. So that was it. We got along so well and remained close since then.

P: Like a modern day fairy tale.
K: It’s one of those NYC magical moments. The reason why all musicians move here. To stumble over something like that. Maybe not all musicians of course, haha. But many!
I met that producer completely by accident and I did not have a proper studio education at all. I studied music sure. But I cheated my way into a live club sound person position when i moved to NYC to make money. Zero experience but I had played in bands throughout my teens so I knew how to run a mixing board and mic up an amp and all that.

P: Were you a fan of Mode growing up?
K: Well, a bit but mainly because my brother, Erol, was. He loved them and had a serious HiFi fetish. He even had an X on the floor made from electrical tape to mark the sweet spot between the speakers to listen to the perfect stereo field. He made a cassette for me of “Construction Time Again” and I was very impressed. The “Pipeline” sounds were so badass to me.

P: Sounds like a great brother, making you tapes of such good music!
K: He spent all his money on speakers and amps of the finest quality. Massive power too. 260 watts in each side. Crazy. I would sneak into his room and listen to the vinyl directly as I could tell the cassette is not as impressive and we would get into huge fights because he would catch me. (laughs)

Offline Angelinda

• Assistant
  • Damaged People
« Reply #6 on: 06 July 2017 - 23:22:27 »
2017-06-30 - HFN Music (UK) - Null + Void press release

http://hfn-music.com/artists/null-void-0

Null + Void

Kurt Uenala may not be a familiar name for many music fans, but chances are you’ve heard his work. The Swiss-born New Yorker is the kind of prodigious musician you’d call a “lifer”: no matter where he is or what he’s doing, music is the focus. He first made his name in 2003, debuting as Kap10Kurt on the essential compilation “The Sound Of Young New York”. His song “Die Sleeping” was an early classic of dreamy, club-ready synth pop, and it caught the attention of fans and artists around the world.

It eventually landed him a gig recording with Depeche Mode singer Dave Gahan, not to mention a long list of major acts such as Moby and The Kills.

The collaboration with Dave was especially fruitful — the two became friends, and it wasn’t long before Kurt began writing original songs for Depeche Mode. His love for vintage synthesizers, dark electronic music, and exploring unusual chord structures was a natural fit. The more Kurt worked with Dave and Depeche Mode, the more time he spent at his Manhattan studio. He started writing his own shadowy, melancholic songs, filling them with angular beats and moody atmospheres. After a while, the basis of Kurt’s new solo project, Null + Void, took shape.

Inspired by retro sci-fi, electronic innovators and new wave, the upcoming debut Null + Void album, Cryosleep, puts Kurt’s extensive production experience into a wide variety of songs.

Vocal performances by Black Rebel Motorcycle Club, The Big Pink, Light Asylum and Depeche Mode’s Dave Gahan bring their resonant humanity into the music’s austere beauty and cold dynamism. There are mighty club tracks, too: lead single “Asphalt World” is built on Detroit electro’s mechanical bounce and has a sinister glint in its eyes.

“I’m more studio driven: I sit with machines and often stumble over ideas,” Kurt says of his creative process. “I just start playing and see what comes out, let the sometimes unpredictable equipment and whatever happens guide me.” Suffice it to say that he’s a bit of a gearhead, albeit one with a strong sense of intuition that can only come from a lifetime spent immersed in your art. Null + Void may be a new name with endless possibilities ahead, but it arrives with the history of a seasoned artist bursting with vital music.

Offline Angelinda

• Assistant
  • Damaged People
Re: 2017: Null + Void - song featuring Dave Gahan
« Reply #7 on: 22 July 2017 - 22:52:10 »
2017-06-30 - FutureMusic.fm (UK) - Bass Agenda (interview with Kurt Uenala)

[In this interview, he specifies that his new album 'Cryosleep' will be released in October 2017, and that Dave Gahan is to be heard on it.]

https://soundcloud.com/bassagenda/bassagenda-150-nullvoid-aka-kurt-uenala-andreu-a-nomino
https://www.depechemode-live.com/wiki/2017-06-30_Bass_Agenda,_Futuremusic_FM,_London,_UK
https://www.facebook.com/BassAgenda/photos/a.464649716893137.112068.418089951549114/1567548149936616/?type=3&theater

Remember remember the Bass Agenda. Today episode 150 with Kurt Uenala aka Null + Void in depth interview about his new solo project, working and touring with Depeche Mode, gear, making a life out of music in New York and much more....

20:00 UK Time with chat - www.futuremusic.fm

Offline Angelinda

• Assistant
  • Damaged People
« Reply #8 on: 22 July 2017 - 22:53:14 »
2017-07-20 - HFN Music (UK) - Null + Void to release debut album

http://hfn-music.com/news/null-void-release-debut-album
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=afwQoN114Ao
https://vimeo.com/204180413

Null + Void to release debut album

After working with a long list of major acts like The Kills and Moby and writing songs together with Dave Gahan for the latest two Depeche Mode albums the Swiss-born New Yorker emerges as a solo artist under the name Null + Void, with his debut longplayer Cryosleep.
An album of contrasts and tension, where darkness is pierced by blinding light, and where moody new wave bleeds into stark electronics.
Following on from ‘Asphalt Kiss’, ‘Paragon’ will be the second instrumental single released on August 11th.

New York based Cinematographer and filmmaker Ivan Abel filmed Null + Void in his studio and surroundings to give us insights into the producers work and vision as well as his upcoming debut album ‘Cryosleep’.
Since moving from his native Slovakia to New York in 2002, Ivan Abel has lent his expertise to numerous productions involving some of the best known performers and directors, including Lena Dunham, Depeche Mode, Björk, Michel Gondry, and Todd Haynes.

Offline Angelinda

• Assistant
  • Damaged People
« Reply #9 on: 22 July 2017 - 22:54:50 »
2017-07-20 - Null + Void on Bandcamp - Cryosleep

https://nullandvoid.bandcamp.com/album/cryosleep

Cryosleep is the debut album from Null + Void, the alias of prolific New York producer Kurt Uenala. It’s an album of contrasts and tension, where darkness is pierced by blinding light, and where moody new wave bleeds into stark electronics. In one moment, joyful memories give way to isolation and regret, and in the next, Cryosleep explores the catharsis of crowded dancefloors. Throughout the record, Uenala matches his dynamic production with incredible vocalists—from Depeche Mode’s Dave Gahan and the inimitable Shannon Funchess, to Black Rebel Motorcycle Club and The Big Pink. Null + Void’s take on dark pop meshes with his love for Detroit electro, poignant synth melodies, and cold atmospheres.

With the cinematic opener “Falling Down” and brooding instrumentals like “Come To Me”, Cryosleep can feel like the soundtrack to a lost space epic. No doubt, the album evokes Blade Runner, dystopian landscapes, and the splendor of far-off galaxies. As Uenala puts it, Cryosleep is inspired by “classic sci-fi stuff,” images of futuristic machines sustaining humans frozen in a dreamstate. The melancholy “Foreverness” explores what they might be thinking: “A collection of fragments, memories of a life lived—preserved, but incomplete and jumbled.” Meanwhile, “Into The Void” paints a peaceful, otherworldly picture, “like soaring towards a white light.” Lead single “Asphalt Kiss” sounds like a frenzied chase scene through rain-slick streets, while the upbeat “Paragon” zips like a bullet train over lush, alien scenery.

But for all of its widescreen beauty and world-building, Null + Void’s debut album also thrives on emotional songwriting and stylish versatility. Uenala dips his beloved old-school genres in chrome, giving them a contemporary, high-gloss sheen. Dave Gahan’s singular voice brings a classic edge to “Where I Wait,” a stunning song about hope and uncertainty. “I wrote it with Dave in mind,” Uenala says of his frequent collaborator. “He wrote the melody and lyrics soon after he was sick, which I think influenced the reflective tone.” The song, which also features Sharin Foo of The Raveonettes, shines among Cryosleep ‘s unforgettable pop excursions, alongside the quietly catchy “Take It Easy” and the harrowing “Hands Bound”. Uenala envisioned the “larger than life” voice of Shannon Funchess amidst frantic beats and gothic bells, and she brings undeniable power to “Hands Bound”. In awe of her presence, the producer says, “Shannon sings her lyrics about dominance and control with scary conviction.”

The title Cryosleep perfectly accentuates what Null + Void expresses throughout his first record. “It’s about the desire to keep loved ones alive beyond their lifespan,” he explains, alluding to the personal life experiences that color this music. “And if you tapped into that frozen person and scanned their last thoughts, their final farewell, this is what might come out.”
To experience Cryosleep is to enter the many worlds of the subconscious, vibrant realms of hidden shadows, lost memories, and the mesmerizing unknown.

releases October 15, 2017
The album releases 03rd November 2017

Offline Angelinda

• Assistant
  • Damaged People
« Reply #10 on: 19 September 2017 - 23:44:38 »
2017-07-20 - Dubiks (Italy) - NULL + VOID TO RELEASE DEBUT ALBUM ‘CRYOSLEEP’

https://dubiks.com/2017/07/20/null-void-to-release-debut-album-cryosleep/

NULL + VOID TO RELEASE DEBUT ALBUM ‘CRYOSLEEP’

After working with a long list of major acts like The Kills and Moby and writing songs together with Dave Gahan for the latest two Depeche Mode albums the Swiss-born New Yorker emerges as a solo artist under the name Null + Void, with his debut longplayer Cryosleep.

An album of contrasts and tension, where darkness is pierced by blinding light, and where moody new wave bleeds into stark electronics. In one moment, joyful memories give way to isolation and regret, and in the next, Cryosleep explores the catharsis of crowded dancefloors.

Throughout the record, Uenala matches his dynamic production with incredible vocalists—from Depeche Mode’s Dave Gahan and the inimitable Shannon Funchess of Light Asylum, to Black Rebel Motorcycle Club and The Big Pink. Null + Void’s take on dark pop meshes with his love for Detroit electro, poignant synth melodies, and cold atmospheres.

Following on from ‘Asphalt Kiss’, ‘Paragon’ will be the second instrumental single released on August 11th, while ‘Where I Wait’ feat. Dave Gahan will follow in September including a mesmerizing music video directed by Timothy Saccenti (a long time video collaborator of Depeche Mode).

Null + Void – Cryosleep (out 03.11.2017)
tracklist:
01. Falling Down (feat. Black Rebel Motorcycle Club)
02. Into The Void
03. Asphalt Kiss
04. Where I Wait (feat. Dave Gahan)
05. Come To Me
06. Take It Easy (feat. The Big Pink)
07. Foreverness
08. Paragon
09. Hands Bound (feat. Shannon Funchess)
10. Lost And Blind
digital bonus for all formats
11. Blank Stare
12. Where I Wait (feat. Dave Gahan) (Radio Edit)
13. Where I Wait (feat. Dave Gahan) (Aristókrasía Version)

The album ‘Cryosleep’ will be released on 3rd November on limited colored vinyl, CD and digital. Digital bonus tracks will be added to all formats via a download code.

Offline Angelinda

• Assistant
  • Damaged People
« Reply #11 on: 19 September 2017 - 23:46:55 »

2017-09-18 - HFN Music (UK) - Null + Void about to release single 'Where I Wait' with Dave Gahan

http://www.hfn-music.com/news/null-void-about-to-release-single-where-i-wait-with-dave-gahan

Null + Void about to release single 'Where I Wait' with Dave Gahan

The New York-based artist Null + Void will make his debut on hfn music with the upcoming album 'Cryosleep', which is combining oldschool vibes with contempoary electronic music and offers a range of unique vocal features.
The third single taken from the longplayer is the first one which features the singular voice of an outstanding artist. Connecting with longtime collaborator and legendary Depeche Mode frontman Dave Gahan, 'Where I Wait' is a haunting and luminous lament on lost time and the ghosts of lovers past. Dave Gahan brings a classic edge to the song, a stunning hymn about hope and uncertainty.

https://www.facebook.com/hfnmusic/posts/1612243202139929:0

Null + Void teamed up with the mighty Dave Gahan for his upcoming single 'Where I Wait' taken from his debut album 'Cryosleep'. We are happy and proud to release such a wonderful song with two outstanding artists this October!

Pre-order: https://hfnmusic.lnk.to/Cryosleep