Depeche Mode Television Archives Forum

Author Topic: 1984: Some Great Reward  (Read 66640 times)

Offline Angelinda

• Assistant
  • Damaged People
Re: 1984: Some Great Reward
« Reply #45 on: 24 June 2012 - 03:52:05 »
1984-08-25 - No. 1 (UK) - M&S Review

http://www.shanemarais.net/no-1-magazine/no-1-magazine-25-august-1984/

http://tiptopwebsite.com/websites/index2.php?username=depechemodefile&page=9

Depeche Mode
Master And Servant
(Mute)

A swift return to the land of mortals. Depeche Mode have made some unexpectedly tough records in the last year or so but 'Master and Servant' sees their simple formula reduced to drivel.
The beat's still there but when you've got Dave Gahan pretending to be whipped you know it's time to buy a new Frankie re-mix.
Paul Simper

1984-08-25 - NME (UK) - Singles reviewed by Chelsea's Pat Nevin

https://twitter.com/sweetienippy/status/571998592346525696/photo/1

Depeche Mode 'Master And Servant' (Mute)
I have never thought Depeche Mode had much to offer. It all too often seems obvious and uninspired and the present single is no exception. They will in a comfortable little niche for 12-year-old girls who are beyond Kershaw and Jones but not up to New Order. I hope the lead singer has stopped trying to look like Jim Kerr as he hasn't quite got what it takes.
2017-06-30: Photobucket has disabled external image hosting, all scans will have to be re-uploaded on another site.

Offline Angelinda

• Assistant
  • Damaged People
« Reply #46 on: 24 June 2012 - 03:52:50 »
1984-08-25 - BBC (UK) - Earsay

Master and Servant: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fGMgPVBOv4Y

2017-06-30: Photobucket has disabled external image hosting, all scans will have to be re-uploaded on another site.

Offline Angelinda

• Assistant
  • Damaged People
« Reply #47 on: 24 June 2012 - 03:53:08 »
1984-08-27 - TVAM (UK) - Good Morning Britain

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qDGktiQyda8

[I made a transcript. The episode has been cut very often.]

John: ...who is talking to Mia right now.
Anne Diamond: Oh really? Well he should know. But the real question is, where did Depeche Mode come from? Because it's a frighteningly posh sounding name...
Dave: Well it sounds posh but it's not that posh actually. I got it from college, I was at college doing retail display and fashion design, and I was using a magazine there called "Depeche Mode". And I just liked the name, and we was looking for a name at the time as a band, so I just brought it along to rehearsal.
John: And it means?
Dave: It means nothing in the way we actually print it, because there's no accents or anything on the 'Depeche', so in fact it's meaningless, the way we actually-
Anne Diamond: -What should it mean?
Dave: It should mean, it's from the verb "to hurry up", I think.
Alan: Fast Fashion, you know something like that.
Anne Diamond: Fast going fashion?
Dave: Fast, fast, fast going mode, yeah "Mode" is "fashion".
Anne Diamond: Do you think you live up to your name?
Alan and Dave: No.
Dave: Well we move on. I don't know about fashion...
Anne Diamond: But, most important of all, why you'll settle back and spend about your bank holiday monday with us, are you Popeye fans?
Dave: Yes.
Alan: Oh, yeah, definitely.
Anne Diamond: Ah, terrific.
John: Which is a very good thing, because right now it is time for Popeye, it's 7:23 this Monday morning, time for Popeye.
-
Dave: ...until Pat Nevin-
John: -their star-eyed winner-
Dave: -Yeah. He gave some terrible review in a music paper, so, he's had it with us, then.
John: Chelsea and Pat, you're no longer-
Alan: -Shattered our illusions yes.
Dave: There's in fact two members of the band that support Chelsea, or they did, I don't know if... In fact, Andy is going today, I think, Andy is still going. So he's supports them but I don't know if he's going to do something about Nevin or...
John: Will they survive without supporting Depeche Mode? We'll find out after the break.
-
Anne Diamond: It's 7:39. Just to tell you, just in case you just tuned in, there's a lot of 'justs' in that sentence: Dave and Alan are here. They are special guests this morning. I gather that you're a bit addicted to space invader machines?
Dave: Yeah a couple of members in the band are, yeah, the two-
Alan: -Actually, the two others, they're the real-
Dave: -yeah the two that aren't here, they've got the computers and things at home, which they plug in, with settings and things-
Anne Diamond: And you're not into that?
Dave: I used to be, but I'm not that interested anymore. If we go to a gig somewhere and there's machines there, I'll have a go, but I don't go looking for them.
Anne Diamond: They're a bit addictive, aren't they?
Dave and Alan: Yeah.
Alan: Terrible.
Dave: And, after a while, as well, there's not a lot of interest in machines now, a lot of them get a bit boring.
Anne Diamond: A bit difficult to control the other two, isn'it?
Dave: Yeah. Definitely, yeah.
John: And they drive the rest of the public insane.
Dave: Yeah that's right. The noise-
Anne Diamond: -Oh, with the noises. I prefer it at home.-
Dave: -Yeah. Especially in pubs. I can't stand them in pubs.
Anne Diamond: It's funny, talking on noise, because you play synthesizers, is it true that you can plug into it any headset and not have somebody else hear the noise?
Dave: Yeah, in fact, that's how we used to rehearse. A long, long while ago, years ago, when we used to rehearse in a garage, in one of the band's mum's garage, the noise was so loud that she made us wear headphones, we used them to rehearse. All you could hear was, like, the tapping of the keys, going "kch, kch, kch!"
Anne Diamond: Yeah I saw you on the keyboard in that programme, the other day. What would you normally do on a bank holiday monday morning if you weren't here?
Dave: Eh, I don't know.
Alan: Recovering.
Dave: Recovering, yeah, I suppose, recovering from something, don't know what.
Anne Diamond: Sounds good. Well it is summer bank holiday, as I said, except for Scotland.
-
John: ...and Depeche Mode. Here are two members of Depeche Mode, who are our special guests this morning, Dave and Alan. We've been talking to you about how your group was formed, how it got its name. You've been all over the world, haven't you? I mean, New York, the Far East... What impression does that leave on youngs lads from Acton, in your case, Basildon, in your case, to suddenly be thrust into a worldwide tour?
Dave: Well obviously, being in a band gives you the great opportunity to see all these places, and if I was working in a general job, the likely thing would be that I would never be able to go to these sorts of places, so obviously it's a great opportunity.
John: You think you actually really do appreciate it, Alan, or is there danger that because you're working, all this passively-
Alan: Obviously, there is that danger, yes, and we do so much that half of the time we don't even have the time to appreciate what we're doing. But, I think we do realise we're very lucky to be able to do those things, and we enjoy ourselves very much, particularly when we went to the Far East and Japan and Thailand and Hong Kong, quite an experience.
John: Sure, sure. You say you're extemely lucky: do you think luck plays any part in determining which of the bands are successful and which aren't? Obviously you're talented, otherwise you wouldn't be there, you can play the music, you can sing, but is luck a factor as well?
Alan: Obviously, yeah.
Dave: To a certain extent. [laughs] In the beginning, yeah, obviously, you need the luck. When we played for about a year, playing in very small clubs, at horrible places, before anyone showed any interest at all, we were playing to sometimes five people, just in a pub, just to the people that were drinking in a pub...
John: And then you were spotted by who?
Dave: We were spotted by Daniel, who in fact we went to a long while before that and took at tape to him and he just walked out the door. Actually, we played the tape to him and he was in a terrible mood, and someone said "Daniel! These guys have got a tape to play to you!", and he came rushing in and he listened to it for about a minute, and then just rushed out the door, and so we said "Right, we're never gonna see him again", and in fact, when we were playing a gig in London, he came along, and he actually came backstage afterwards and said he'd like to meet us, maybe talk about doing a single.
Alan: That's Daniel Miller, by the way, from Mute Records.
Dave: He actually runs Mute.
John: I was almost afraid to ask.
Anne Diamond. Yes. Is that the label you're still with?
Dave: Yes. It's an independent label.
Anne Diamond: By now, the significance of this has already been explained to you, and you've picked out two birthday cards, would you like to read them out?
Dave: Yes. Oh, this a birthday wish for someone special. It says "Hello TV:AM, could you please say 'Happy Birthday' to my mum?" And it's Magdalene, Magdalene Kareth, 13A, Rockhampton Avenue, Westwood, East Kilbride, that's Glasgow. "She'll be 22 on the 27th of August '84", and she sends it "with lots of love, from Alister and oh, Jack".
Anne Diamond: Smashing. Alan, could you-
Alan: -And my one is "Could you please greet my daughter Laura Lamb and her granddad Joe a happy birthday on the 27th?" And that's "Love from mum, dad, grandma and nana", she's 7.
Anne Diamond: And John's got something as well.
John: A quickie, yes. A little girl called Jenna Ballock, who lives here in the East end of London, who is one year old today, and those best wishes come from mum and dad. Happy birthday, Jenna.
Anne Diamond: The time is 7:52, which is time for some more music, and the brand new video from our guests today, Dave and Alan of Depeche Mode. And the other two, as well. It's called "Masters and Servants", here it is!
-
Anne Diamond: Fantastic, isn't it? And our friends here from Depeche Mode were just telling me that the girl with the very stunning face was a tape operator you had just roped in.
Dave: That's right yeah, she was a girl, when we were recording in Berlin, we asked her to do it, and she said "Sure", and she came down, slapped some make-up on her, and that was it.
Anne Diamond: You have to have fame for her, smashing.
-
John: ...discovered. You stayed with the record company, a small one, one of the smaller record companies, throughout, haven't you? Despite offers from the big boys. Why is that?
Alan: Well, we've always had a really good relationship with Mute Records and we've got no reason to change, so it's quite simple. Daniel, who were talking about earlier, is a great music lover, and you don't feel that there is any alterior motive with Mute there, it's just kind of a business for him.
John: Presumably you could have had much more loot had you gone off-track...?
Dave: Well, yeah, we had, we've been offered huge amounts from "larger labels", I'll say, but... in the beginning, we're weren't really tempted with that, because we were all working. I was at college, the other guys were working in a bank and we were all in fixed jobs and things, and it was just for fun, you know. We want to make 'a single'. And, you see, all these big labels had all these great, big contracts for ten years and such, offering us lots of money, but we wasn't sure what we were going into.
Alan: And people have the illusion that when you get offered lots of money, it's just a gift. It's not a gift at all, it's an advance on it, so if you are successful you only have to pay that money back anyway. It's not just a gift.
Anne Diamond: In this industry you really have to learn how to play, don't you?
Dave: We've learned that through Mute, we manage ourselves as well.
Alan: And we have had success with Mute, it's not as if just because they're an independent, we haven't done as well as if we were on a major, we may not even have done as well.
-
Astrologer: ... But on Sunday, lightning opens the heavens and pours down money suddenly.
Dave: [I'm] abroad then. [laughs] (I'm not cute sure what he says)
Astrologer: Now, Gemini, and that gives Alan Wilder. You can curl up with a good book or the telly or a teddy bear early on in the week, home is very happy. Your health gives you a stirring warning, however. It's improving but you need to take care. You do get off the handle a bit at the weekend but there's excitement in the air as well. Now Cancer.
-
Dave: A lot of the stuff that you read in the papers is often coincidence, I feel, but sometimes a lot of the things fall into place.
Alan: And it's the rubbish that's printed out that troubles you, that kind cheapens it for a lot of people and puts people off, I think.
Dave: I think Al's probably-
Astrologer: Well it can do a bit, but I believe in some sort of astrology, because I think there's enough in it to persuade people. I mean, most of it actually just great fun, and if it's nice, it cheers you up, kind of thing. But there's no way you can actually do serious astrology for the general mass, because then you don't have access to the bits, but by and large, there are sort of 'enough about' terrains to be able to persuade you a bit, exactly like that.
Anne Diamond: Well, what's a typical taurus, then?
Astrologer: Ehm, very earthy, very physical. That means that always, because you touch people, well, not because you - almost like puppy dogs, because you love to cuddle up to people, which is a very Taurus thing. Whereas Gemini-
Dave: -Yeah I'm always touching the arms of people.
Astrologer: Really? Yeah Gemini is really not like that at all, Gemini is much more laidback, is a cooler case, much more of a 'mind' thing.
Anne Diamond: I always find Geminis just sort of super cool, and...
Dave: Yeah, that's exactly right, that's exactly right, yeah. We are always taking the mickey out of him, because of his accent, the way he speaks, you know. He's always very cool and laidback, with everything we do, really, just takes it easy.
Astrologer: And much more than adaptable, whereas Taureans are usually quite stubborn about having their own way-
Dave: -Worriers
Anne Diamond: A worrier?
Dave: A worrier. Well, I don't really worry, I'm just like "I gotta get things done", you know.
Anne Diamond. Quite spotting. Have given us some insights, certainly. Let's go straight over to John now.
-
Dave: ... And so, I wouldn't like to leave a dog on its own, I would have to put it in a kennel or something.
Anne Diamond: What's your favourite animal?
Dave: Probably a dog, I think.
Anne Diamond: Yeah. Man's best friend. What about you, Alan?
Alan: I got a cat, yeah, a very friendly cat.
Anne Diamond: Eh?
Alan: We got a very friendly cat, he's very nice.
Anne Diamond: What's he called?
Alan: Foxy.
Anne Diamond: Foxy. Is he a scruffy?
Alan: No, he's not, he's neat, he's very short-haired, that sort of thing.
Anne Diamond: I used to have a hamster, and hamsters are wonderful because they can get you up and going, just when you need to. You can spend an evening with hamsters.
Dave: Yeah they got that little [circly] thing, don't they, you can watch them all evening...
Anne Diamond: [laughs] I'm sure they hate it! I used to have a hamster, he used to get lost inside my piano, he used to come out three days later, covered in soot.
Dave: I used to have a budgie, he used to jump in the washing up liquid. He used to be on my shoulder, and he would jump in the foam and go in the water.
Anne Diamond: [laughs] Really? That's very odd. We're going to be talking to Dave and Alan from Depeche Mode a bit later on.
-
Dave: ...Just slide in.
Anne Diamond: A bit tired.
Alan: It's a bit of an unreasonable hour for us Rock 'n' Rollers, yeah.
Anne Diamond: Well we've got a competition for you, you see. Let's see if you can do this.
-
Dave: Well, I just support Chelsea for years and years and years since I was about 7 or something, I used to go there all the time, up to the bridge. But Pat Nevin gave us a terrible review in one of the papers this week. He was reviewing the singles in one of the music papers and he gave us a disgusting review, so...
Anne Diamond: Just goes to show what happens when you let footballers review music.
Dave: Well one man in the band, Fletch, in the band, he supports Chelsea as well and he's gone today.
Anne Diamond: Is he a good player?
Cliff: He is a good player, actually.
Dave: Yeah, he is, yeah.
Cliff: He is one of the up and coming elite, really, because there's not too many of 'em. And he could be an outstanding footballer as a young lad. Well, what did he say about you then?
Dave: That he disliked really, what was it?
Alan: I can't remember.
Dave: He just really put us down, to say that he's never liked anything we've done anyway, and a lot of things-
Anne Diamond: -That's a shame when you support him.
Dave: It's difficult, I mean, they don't really mean the reviews like that, because they're all down to the mood of the reviewer, or their take-
Cliff: Is it? I mean, sometimes, the guy never says it quite like...
Dave: No, they sort of do it in a way I don't really like-
Anne Diamond: -That's just about enough football conversation for now. [laughs] Sorry, I didn't mean to be rude. We've got to hurry on. I'm always being caring for you, aren't I, Cliff? Terribly sorry. I've offended you now.
-
Dave: "...Please wish my daughter Alison a very happy sixth birthday, on Monday, the 27th of August. Please tell her that mum thinks she's the best girl in the world. Happy birthday Alison, lots of love from mum, dad, Margaret, Jim Lee, Frank, May, and the boys."
Anne Diamond: Better give her a wave.
Dave: [waves]
Anne Diamond: Thank you. [laughs] Who have you got?
Alan: Yeah, I've got "Please say hello and best wishes to our daughter Joanne Wilding from from 22 Oakwellclerks Maude Ian Rotherham, who is 9 today. She's on holiday just now with her nana and granddad at Saltfleet, tell her we love and miss her very much, mummy and daddy."
Anne Diamond: I hope she had a really good holiday.
Dave: And the kisses.
Alan: And the kisses, yes.
Anne Diamond: And the kisses, go ahead, do the kisses.
Alan: [kisses]
Anne Diamond. Thank you. I've got one here, it says "Dear TV:AM, could you please wish Paul Thomas a very happy birthday"-
-
Anne Diamond: ...at a school called the Victoria who is called Wiggy.
John: Really?
Anne Diamond: It must be one of those common nicknames. Hmm, happy birthday, Wiggy. That-
-
Dave: Hmm, think about that one.
Anne Diamond: Some very young youngsters doing the competiton, you see. Nice to encourage them from an early age.
Dave: Yeah. Very good.
Anne Diamond: Yeah. Well, we're gonna be talking about breakdancing a bit later on. How important a part of your persona, the group's identity-
Alan: He [Dave] is a bit of a mover.
Dave: I thought you were gonna ask us on camera to do something.
Anne Diamond: Well, if you would like to do a-
Dave: You see if Martin was here, he would be on the floor.
Alan: He is our expert actually, yeah he's our expert.
Dave: Martin is the expert in breakdancing.
Alan: But he [Dave] is a bit of a mover as well.
Anne Diamond: But when you say that you've got an expert, does he teach you, I mean is it important how you move on stage?
Dave: No, I move around a lot on stage, I dance around a lot on stage. But we haven't got any training or anything in dancing. I used to go to little clubs years ago, I like dancing. I used to like dancing and things, so you just find that when you're playing live, you find good points in songs where you can do something dramatic which actually will set off the audience.
Alan: And he has to do it for us, really, because the rest of us are all stuck behind keyboards and he has to keep the excitement going.
Dave: Behind keyboards and things, and they can't move or anything.
Anne Diamond: Yeah. What about the audience? I mean, actually, there's marvellous movers around nowadays, you know. Fantastic.
Dave"Well the audience are always really like this, great. They always get going with us, even in sit-down venues, you know, they're all up and going and they'll clap along and everything. It's great, the gigs are always really good.
Anne Diamond: Well, now weren't you moving along a bit more when Lizzy was doing her bit?
Alan: Well it's a bit slightly...
Dave: Because eh, it's slightly early in the morning.
Anne Diamond: [laughs] Alright, have a bit of sleep. We'll take another break.
-
Dave: That's great, thanks very much.
Anne Diamond: Good. Smashing having you.
John: And to Paul Theroux.
Anne Diamond: Yes.
Paul Theroux: Thank you. Didn't say much eh?
Anne Diamond and John: No.
Anne Diamond: You talk, you sound-
Paul Theroux: -I better may, I better sit up, eh? Sorry.
Dave: [laughs]
John: No, Paul, you thought me a great deal about-
Paul Theroux: -I got an album out, by the way.
[laughter]
John: Terrific.
Anne Diamond: Thank you so much for joining us, I'm looking forward to tomorrow's breakdancing now, it's really good.
John: Yes I am. Ian was terrific, I must say.
Anne Diamond: Yes, he-
Dave and Alan: [imitate breakdancing act]
Dave: With the flying in the end.
Anne Diamond: Yes, he was. Well, join us again tomorrow, we'll see some more.
Dave: Pretty good, eh?
Anne Diamond: Yeah. Bye bye.
John: Bye bye.
Paul Theroux: See you all later.

Offline Angelinda

• Assistant
  • Damaged People
« Reply #48 on: 24 June 2012 - 03:57:44 »
1984-08-30 - Smash Hits (UK) - Master and Servant Review

[Thanks to mossy for scanning this for this forum!]

DEPECHE MODE: Master & Servant (Mute)
Very reminiscent of The Royal Guardsmen's ancient hit 'Snoopy Versus The Red Baron. I'm afraid that, except for the lovely "See You", Depeche Mode have consistently failed to evoke any melancholy in me.
Robert Hodgens (The Bluebells)

Offline Angelinda

• Assistant
  • Damaged People
« Reply #49 on: 24 June 2012 - 03:58:12 »
1984-08-30 - BBC (UK) - Top Of The Pops

Master And Servant: www.youtube.com/watch?v=OhZXdC3UIR8

Offline Angelinda

• Assistant
  • Damaged People
« Reply #50 on: 24 June 2012 - 03:59:15 »
1984-08-30 - Time Out (UK) - M&S Review

http://tiptopwebsite.com/websites/index2.php?username=depechemodefile&page=9

What do you expect from this lame bunch of dickheads?
Dave Walters

Offline Angelinda

• Assistant
  • Damaged People
« Reply #51 on: 24 June 2012 - 03:59:40 »
1984-08-xx - Muziek Express (Netherlands) - Wat vindt Depeche Mode zo leuk aan vrouwenbladeren?

www.ebay.com

[Muziek Express magazine, Netherlands, August 1984. Transcript and translation by me. Please note: this article has been fabricated completely! This is not the first time that Muziek Express has done this.]

Wat Vindt Depeche Mode Zo Leuk Aan Vrouwenbladen?

De muziek wás er al. Alleen het bedenken van een geschikte naam, dáár hadden David, Martin, Alan en Andy nogal wat moeite me. Totdat een exclusief Frans modetijdschrift de jongens uitnodigde voor 'n party. Want niet lang daarna werd Depeche Mode geboren...

In de ruime hotelkamer zitten David Gahan, Martin Gore, Alan Wilder en Andy Fletcher achter een rijk gedekte tafel geamuseerd te babbelen. Ondanks een overbezette agenda maken de jongens van Depeche Mode graag een half uurtje vrij voor een interview met Muziek Expres. Ook al gebeurt dat af en toe met een volle mond. "Ja hoor, we hebben het prima naar onze zin met z'n vieren", verkondigt blonde Martin tussen twee happen door. "Tenslotte hebben we ook buiten de band om veel contact met elkaar. Dit jaar hebben Andy en ik bijvoorbeeld een zááálige luiervakantie geboekt op een tropisch eiland. Hmmm, ik kijk er nú al naar uit!" Met verheerlijkte blik in z'n ogen propt Martin zijn laatste stukje brood in zijn mond waarop Andy grinnikend reageert: "Wat doet 'ie weer decadent, hè? Terwijl we helemaal niet zo zijn! Al doet onze naam dat misschien wel een beetje vermoeden." En glimlachend vertelt hij hoe Depeche Mode, eigenlijk stomtoevallig, aan z'n naam gekomen is. "We traden eerst, in een andere bezetting, als 'Composition Of Sound' op. Maar die naam vonden we zó nietszeggend en zó weinig bij onze muziek passend, dat we - in juni 1980 was dat - besloten naar een andere naam op zoek te gaan. Maar hoe we ook piekerden en overlegden, we konden niks geschikts bedenken! En toen ineens... kregen we een uitnodiging voor een party van het Franse modeblad 'Depeche Mode'. Nou, voor die party hebben we bedankt en in de plaats daarvoor hebben we de naam 'Depeche Mode' maar overgenomen. Nog bedankt, trouwens. Hahaha! Ik heb trouwens helemaal geen hekel aan modebladen, hoor", zegt Andy er snel achteraan. "Integendeel, in mijn vrije tijd lees ik graag in dure modebladen. Die prachtige foto's van fotomodellen boeien me enorm. Als zo'n foto met zorg gemaakt wordt, in mooie kleuren en doordachte compositie, dan is dat toch gewoon kunst? En daar zijn we alle vier gek op!" Dan mengt David zich nog even in het gesprek: "Maar behalve van kunst en vrouwen, houden we ook van mensen in het algemeen. Dat blijkt wel uit onze single 'People Are People', die dezelfde mensen tot een grote hit hebben gemaakt." En Andy rondt het gesprek af met een welgemeend: "Nog bedankt, mensen!"

[Translation:]

What Does Depeche Mode Like About Women's Magazines?

The music was already there. Only coming up with the right name, THAT is something which David, Martin, Alan and Andy were having trouble with. Until an exclusive French fashion magazine invited the boys for a party. And after that, it did not take long before Depeche Mode was born..

David Gahan, Martin Gore, Alan Wilder en Andy Fletcher are sitting in the spacious hotel room at a set table, chatting joyfully. Despite a jam-packed schedule, the four boys of Depeche Mode love to open up a space of half an hour, for an interview with Muziek Express. Even when it occasionally happens with a full mouth. "Yeah that's right, we are having a wonderful time, the four of us", announced blonde Martin in between two bites. "After all, we do also have a lot of contact with one another outside of the band. This year, Andy and I, for instance, had booked an amaaaaazing, lazy vacation on a tropical island. Hmmm, I'm already looking forward to it!" With a romantic look in his eyes, Martin stuffs the last piece of bread in his mouth, to which Andy chucklingly responds: "He's being so decadent again, ain't he? Even though we're not that at all! Even though our name might suggest so." And smilingly, he explains how Depeche Mode, actually coincidentally, got its name. "We first, in a different formation, performed as 'Composition Of Sound'. But we found that name so meaningless and so unfitting to our music, and we - this was in June 1980 - decided to search for a different name. But no matter how we pondered and discussed, we could not think of anything appropriate! And then suddenly... we got an invitation for a party from the French fashion magazine 'Depeche Mode'. Well, we passed that party, but instead we simply adopted the name 'Depeche Mode. Thanks, by the way. Hahaha! I actually don't hate fashion magazine at all, by the way", says Andy quickly as a follow-up. "On the contrary, I like to read expensive fashion magazines in my free time. Those gorgeous photos of photo models interest me hugely. When a photo is being made with care, with nice colours and a well-thought-out composition, that's almost art, no? And all four of us love that!" Then David interrupts the conversation finally: "But besides art and women, we also like people in general. Hence 'People Are People', which made the same people into a huge hit." And Andy concludes the conversation with a heartfelt: "Thanks, people!"

Offline Angelinda

• Assistant
  • Damaged People
« Reply #52 on: 24 June 2012 - 04:00:06 »
1984-08-xx - Melody Maker (UK) - Depeche Mode Extra

[Thanks to meldepeche for this article.]

http://depecheuk.co.uk

DEPECHE MODE EXTRA

Depeche Mode have added another London Hammersmith Odeon concert to their forthcoming tour.
Three dates at the Odeon, on November 1, 2, and 3, have already been sold out. Now a fourth has been set for November 4, and tickets are on sale now.
The 29-date tour of Northern and Southern Ireland, Wales, Scotland and England, opens at St Austell Cornish Coliseum on September 27, finally winding up in November in Hammersmith.
Meanwhile, Depeche Mode are releasing a special limited, numbered edition of their current hit single "Master And Servant".

The A side features "Master And Servant" - an On-U Sound Science Fiction Dance Hall Classic, re-mixed by Adrian Sherwood. The B side contains an "almost totally unrecognisable reworking" of "People Are People" entitled "Are People People" as well as the seven-inch B side "Set Me Free (Remotivate Me)".

Offline Angelinda

• Assistant
  • Damaged People
« Reply #53 on: 24 June 2012 - 04:02:00 »
1984-08-xx - Intercord (Germany) - Grüße aus Berlin

[Thanks to strange-pimpf for sending photos of this article for this forum! It seems that Intercord released this info not only as a magazine but also in the form of a newsletter. Thanks to godflesh230773 from the Depmod forum for that scan.]

[I typed out the text:]

Depeche Mode bleiben auf Hitkurs! Nachdem "People Are People" im Mai drei Wochen lang die Nummer-Eins-Position in der Deutschen Musikmarkt-Hitparade hielt, spielten die vier Synthesizer-Spezialisten eine neue Single ein: "Master And Servant", erneut geschrieben von Martin Gore, verbindet mit der gleichen Leichtigkeit eingängige Gesangslinien mit kraftvoll-quirrligen Synthesizer-Strukturen und knalligen Rhythmus-Tracks. Ihr neue Titel ist eine Vorabkopplung aus der für Oktober geplanten vierten LP. Produziert wurde wie immer unter Anleitung von Mute-Mastermind und boß Daniel Miller in London sowie Berlin. Die Abmischung lief in den Berliner Hansa-Studios übers Band.
Martin Gore, 24jähriger Depeche Mode-Songwriter hat inzwischen zusammen mit seiner deutschen Freundin Christine seinen Zweitwohnsitz in Berlin aufgeschlagen. Martin: "Ich liebe diese Stadt. Sie hat Charme und gab mir schon viele Inspirationen für neue Songs." Nicht verwunderlich also, wenn auch gleich das neue Video an Ort und Stell abgedreht wurde. Allerdings dürfte Martin seine neue Heimatstadt in den nächsten Monaten nicht gerade oft sehe: Ab 27. September ist Depeche Mode "On The Road" - zuerst in England, danach in Deutschland. Vom 20. November bis 13. Dezember stehen 14 Konzerte auf dem Plan. Die optische Uraufführung von "Master And Servant" läuft am 20. September im "Musikladen" über die Bildschirme.

[Translation by me:]

Depeche Mode remain on hit course! After "People Are People" held the number one position in the German music hit parade for three weeks in May, the four synthesizer specialists release a new single one: "Master And Servant", again written by Martin Gore, connects with the same ease catchy vocal lines to a powerful, bubbly synthesizer structure and bright rhythm tracks. Their new track is a preview from the fourth LP, which is scheduled for October. It has, as always, been produced under the guidance of Mute boss and mastermind Daniel Miller in London and in Berlin. The mixing happened in the Berlin's Hansa Studios by the band.
Martin Gore, the 24-year-old songwriter of Depeche Mode, has now taken together with his German girlfriend Christine a two-room-apartment in Berlin. Martin: "I love this city. It has charm and it gave me a lot already inspirations for new songs." Not surprising then, to know that also the new video has been filmed on site. However, Martin is not likely to see his new hometown often in the coming months: From September 27th, Depeche Mode will be "On The Road" - first within England, then in Germany. From the 20th of November to 13th of December, 14 concerts are on the schedule. The visual performance of "Master And Servant" is to be seen on "Musikladen" on television starting September 20th.

Offline Angelinda

• Assistant
  • Damaged People
« Reply #54 on: 24 June 2012 - 04:02:26 »
1984-08-xx - Poppis n.4 (Sweden) - Depeche Mode

[Thanks to Rome for sending a photo of this article!]

Offline Angelinda

• Assistant
  • Damaged People
« Reply #55 on: 24 June 2012 - 04:02:52 »
1984-08-xx - Unknown (Unknown) - Martin and Fletch Interview

Sadly, we don't have this radio interview. It used to be hosted on Depechemode.TV.

Offline Angelinda

• Assistant
  • Damaged People
« Reply #56 on: 24 June 2012 - 04:03:52 »
1984-08-xx - Radio 1 (UK) - Dave Phone Interview (1:20)

Sadly, we don't have this radio interview. It used to be hosted on Depechemode.TV.

Offline Angelinda

• Assistant
  • Damaged People
« Reply #57 on: 24 June 2012 - 04:06:03 »
1984-09-01 - BBC (UK) - Radio 1 On the Road

This used to be online but is now offline again. It was a playback peformance of Master And Servant + People Are People.

Offline Angelinda

• Assistant
  • Damaged People
« Reply #58 on: 24 June 2012 - 04:06:30 »
1984-09-20 - ARD (Germany) - Musikladen

Master and Servant: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Zz3wgvWZEs

Offline Angelinda

• Assistant
  • Damaged People
« Reply #59 on: 24 June 2012 - 04:06:53 »
1984-09-22 - Melody Maker (UK) - Blasphemy Rewarded

[Taken from the now-defunct website www.sacreddm.net.]

BLASPHEMY REWARDED
[Melody Maker, 22nd September 1984. Words: Mark Jenkins. Pictures: Tom Sheehan.]
" You have to take risks… you can’t be safe all the time, even if the kind of people you might offend are just the sort to kick up a fuss and start petitions and that sort of thing. "
Summary: A balanced, nimble and thoughtful band interview allowing the band to speak about the impetus behind the Some Great Reward album without hindrance, the interviewer wisely refraining from comment for the sake of it. The band also discuss the practical matters behind recording and performing. One of the meatier 1984 articles. [2734 words]

Depeche Mode have a problem. It’s not enough to be big in Britain any more – they have to think about being big everywhere at once. That makes considerations like having a single banned by the BBC fade into insignificance, although there’s a good chance that will happen if they choose to follow up “Master And Servant” with the closing track of “Some Great Reward”, their new album.
    “ ‘Blasphemous Rumours’ is really not an anti-religious song,” insists Dave Gahan. “Of course it’s a personal statement on Martin’s part” (Martin Gore’s writing again dominates the album) “but at the same time it’s a statement of how everybody must feel at one time or another. We all had a bit of a religious upbringing, Andy particularly, and I went to church regularly for a year or so when I was about 18, so there’s obviously a bit of a rebellion against that. It’s just that – some of the things we noticed, like there’d always be a prayer list for certain people and the one at the top always died. Things like that…
    “My mother’s side of the family were always religious, involved with the Salvation Army and so on, but she lived through so much tragedy… I don’t know how I’d feel by now, but then I’ve never been religious although she stuck to her beliefs. I used to go down to Sunday School with my sister on our bikes and instead of going in we’d just ride around for a couple of hours, and when we got back we’d say it was great.”
    The others agree that it’s not religion itself but having religion (or politics or any other belief) forced onto you that they dislike.
    “People get too much preaching – even around the town in Basildon, you know? People cling to religion through fear of death,” offers Martin. “It’s not a bad thing to be religious, in fact I think I’d be happier if I did believe.”
    “I turned away from religion because I found I was leading a really boring life,” says Andy. “I wanted to live life to the full but I was trapped, and I thought ‘if I die tomorrow that’ll be it’… it’s a shame that Christianity is perverted and hyped so much, because it does have something to offer.”
    It turns out that Dave Gahan’s first public appearances were singing carols with the Salvation Army around the age of eight, something he couldn’t think of going back to because “so many unhappy things have happened that I just feel it can’t all be true.” But “Blasphemous Rumours” is a strong (as well as catchy) song and needs a strong place on the album, BBC or no BBC.
    “You have to take risks… you can’t be safe all the time, even if the kind of people you might offend are just the sort to kick up a fuss and start petitions and that sort of thing. They’re still a minority; we even had problems with ‘Master And Servant’ when the BBC called for a copy of the lyrics to check them out, but only one guy thought they were obscene, and he was away on holiday when the final decision was taken! The girl who took the decision agreed with us that it’s about love and life, which of course it is.”
    Pressured into making some comparison with Frankie, Dave goes thus far and no further. “ ‘Master And Servant’ is a bit more subtle than ‘Relax’ but then it’s got a very different point to make. Frankie’s records sound good – but we don’t like to make a lot of comments about other bands…”
    Writers like to sum up albums at a stroke, whether the artists want to make it that easy or not. Suggesting that “Some Great Reward” is dominated by “anti-love” songs brings a considered but emphatic “No” from Martin.
    “ ‘Lie To Me’ isn’t an anti-love song… it’s about a situation of paranoia which anybody could find themselves in. ‘Somebody’ is pretty much a straightforward ‘I love you’ song if you like, certainly not an anti-love song. The album’s about all sorts of things apart from love through… power, religion, life.”
    “Some Great Reward” has once again been produced by the band, engineer Gareth Jones and Daniel Miller, the man behind Mute, The Silicon Teens and The Normal. But Miller’s been quoted as saying that he doesn’t see himself as a producer…
    “It’s a co-production. Daniel takes ideas from the band as well as giving them, but it’s difficult to explain what goes on over a period of four months. It’s all quite diplomatic, and he won’t make us use anything we don’t like, but every team works in a particular way that’s very hard to explain. We need an outside view or we wouldn’t take so much care over the songs and the sounds – if it wasn’t for Daniel we’d have a lot more arguments too!”
    The band feel that their standards have gone up on this album, and swear that the backing tapes from the “Speak And Spell” tour now sound horribly sloppy to their newly-trained ears.
    “We spent days doing just one or two sounds or rhythms this time – we went over the top really and it cost us a few bob, but it’s paid off because this is the first album we’re all really proud of. Not that we don’t like the others, it’s just that this one is so much better in terms of sound quality.”
    On the subject of backing tapes, was there any desire to try to play a completely live set on the forthcoming tour?
    “We’re aware of the limitations of using a backing tape, it takes away a lot of the spontaneity, but we can’t see ourselves playing with a live drummer at this stage. Nobody could play precisely enough or give us all the sounds we’ve used in the studio, but we’ve found other ways to make things a bit more visual.
    “We’ve got a moving set with lots of scaffolding, slide screens and so on to match the album sleeve – Jane who worked with us last time wanted to take some of the ideas a bit further – but we don’t think there’s any danger of being compared to industrial bands like Einsturzende Neubaten. [1]
    “Granted, we use a lot of metallic sounds, but so do a lot of people from Bowie onwards, and in any case we’re using those ideas in the context of pop songs. Hitting bits of metal is very visual, and you can’t get away from the fact that some of our old TV appearances with three pairs of hands playing keyboards were just boring!
    “You need something else, and when we’ve got something more visual we look more confident – that’s why we do things like playing the shawm (a Chinese oboe) on the ‘Everything Counts’ video, even though it was just another keyboard sound. Some people wrote to us to say they felt cheated that we hadn’t spent three months learning to play a shawm, but I don’t see that at all…”
    Dave’s main pleasure in the band is still live work, despite the feeling that they’ve taken on a lot in the new gig schedule.
    “The fewer gigs you do on a tour the more you enjoy yourself. I love the audience contact, it gives me a big kick that you can’t get in the studio or on TV – I always feel a great deal of power when I can make 6,000 people do what I want. We’re about to embark on a huge tour, though – more dates than we wanted to do really, ending towards Christmas and taking in Germany, Sweden, Holland, Belgium, Italy and Switzerland.
    “There are a few days off, but the gigs are mostly back to back – when we get a day off it’s always a Sunday in Hanley. Have you ever been in Hanley on a Sunday? You look at a couple of antique shops, you wander about thinking ‘what the hell can I do?’, you go back to the hotel and watch a couple of videos. It’s awful.
[1] - The Jane in question being Jane Spiers, who provided lighting design on the Construction Time Again tour and graduated to set design as well on the Some Great Reward tour. [continue]
[Melody Maker, 22nd September 1984. Words: Mark Jenkins. Pictures: Tom Sheehan - page 2 of 2]
    “After this lot most of us will be wanting a holiday. The last German tour finished right before Christmas and by that time it had got very difficult to do something different every night. My mind used to drift sometimes and I’d forget the words – it’s even worse for the others because they’re going be stuck behind two Emulators, and there’s no way you can move them around, but a lot of the audiences don’t seem to notice that we don’t move much. I like moving about the stage now – at one time I used to keep still and just clutch the mike stand – but now I go to different parts of the audience and play up to them.”
    One song on the album which shows a complete departure from the electro-dance style is “Somebody”, which features a rare performance on piano from Alan. Martin takes the vocal, and says the song’s simplicity “is based on a sort of Jonathan Richman back-to-basics theory. It’s performed all together – it just needed three takes, mainly to get the sound okay – and really uses the bare essentials.
    “In fact I sang it completely naked in the cellar of the studio which we use for ambience, and the others sent the female tape op downstairs while I was doing it to ‘check the connections’.”
    Dave recounts how they stood with baited breath until a small Germanic scream tipped them off – he mimics Martin’s (possible) reaction, and goes on to say that if every song on the album had been done as quickly they’d stand a better chance of making some money out of it.
    Cost is an increasing preoccupation in the band’s considerations while recording, but working in the German Hansa studio rather than London’s Music Works at least means fewer interruptions, although it still demanded a month of recording time. The first album cost around £8,000, which was cheap for the time, but now the band are much more satisfied with the results even if they’ve had to pay the price.
    Dave comments: “I’m very pleased with the vocal sound on this one – it’s a lot to do with having confidence and a lot to do with being comfortable with the engineer. Also, I took a couple of lessons with Tona deBrett, scales and things, and I didn’t see much application to singing pop songs but I wanted to do more for the breathing control.
    “Sometimes when I’m running across the stage and singing I get very out of breath. On this album we took more care on the vocals – if you like, it’s our ‘together’ album which is why a line from one of the songs is quoted on the sleeve, ‘the world we live in and life in general’.”
    “Some Great Reward” seems a more personal album than “Construction Time Again”, which the band agree could be called a “political” album “but only for want of a better word”.
    “It’s not as if we’ve suddenly returned to playing pop,” says Martin, “it’s just a more mature album. We feel 100 per cent confident about it, and a good few of our friends have been pleasantly shocked when we played it to them – they couldn’t believe that we could record something like this. A lot’s changed since Vince left three years ago, and the people who gave us less positive reactions in the past when we deserved them aren’t afraid to tell us now that they like what we’re doing.
    “That’s really good – through being with Mute we were given a chance to develop in our own time without being manipulated into giving away posters or free singles or anything like that. When we do a remix of a single we make sure it is something really different that gives value for money – Daniel’s against a lot of fancy packaging anyway – but we’ve been lucky in that the real fans have always bought the singles. In four albums and 10 or 11 singles we’ve never really had a low period, the fans have been very loyal, and if we did put out ‘Blasphemous Rumours’ and it got banned they’d still be buying it.”
    The band are totally involved with sleeve design and set design and pity others who don’t share this enviable position (“after a while you realise how much some other bands are manipulated…”). They’re doubly lucky in that Mute owns all the computer equipment they need to record, since it’s also used by other acts on the label.
    The gear lets them exploit ideas from all the different types of music with which they come into contact (“Systems music – Steve Reich – Philip Glass – Gamelan orchestras – all sorts of things!”) and have infinite flexibility as to who plays what and how each sound is created.
    Some of the sounds on “Master And Servant” – such as the whip effect – are based on Daniel Miller standing in the studio hissing and spitting (“we tried to sample a real whip but it was hopeless”). Anything that’s impossible to play live ends up on the backing tape for stage purposes, although Dave, Martin and Andy have a healthy respect for the potential of Alan’s more developed keyboard skills.
    Since so many “real” sounds are creeping into the music, are we likely to see Depeche Mode assuming rockist guitar poses again in the near future? Martin thinks not – “I played an acoustic guitar on stage last time, and we mime to some of the drum parts on ‘Master And Servant’, but I don’t feel too happy about it. We use samples of guitar sounds if we like them but we don’t think about whether they come from guitars or not, we just want a new sound.
    “We don’t think about being ‘anti-guitar’, but a lot of the old electronic bands are going back to guitars, and if we did that just for the visual effect or so that we could move around a bit, we’d end up being blander instead – looking just like anybody else. We’re prepared to do things for TV to make it look a bit more exciting though!”
    Despite their willingness to play up to the cameras, the band are convincing in their insistence that “the new album is 100 per cent sincere. We’d like people to see in it passion, intensity and sincerity. The last one got good reviews so we expect a few iffy ones this time – usually your enemies slag it off and your friends are so positive that they don’t tell you anything really. A lot of people still tend to write us off, but we think ‘Construction Time Again’ was a turning point and a lot of new people now know what we can do.”
    And as for the image (or lack of one)?
    “It’s really as unified as it’ll ever get now. We’re misfits – we don’t fit into an area, although other companies might have pushed us into one. In the long run it’s a benefit, but we do find people can’t put faces to our music even now.”
    Dave adds, “… and that’s a good thing – we’re on the edge now, between commercial and non-commercial music, and I think that’s a good place to be.”
    Questioned on the expected reception of “Some Great Reward”, Dave offers: “I took a lot of time getting to know all the songs on this one and I think we deserve a lot. ‘People Are People’ was a German Number One and ‘Master And Servant’ is at 15 in Germany, so it ought to do well, but some of the reviews can be very negative.
    “One guy who slagged us last time told us he only listened to half the album at four in the morning and that he’d got to like it since, but by then the damage had been done – when you’ve spent three months recording an album that sort of thing is really disgusting.
    “A lot of people are going to be expecting ‘Construction Time Again Part Two’, because they liked the ‘political’ content of the last one, but that’s not what ‘Some Great Reward’ is all about and we might get slagged for that.
    “We hope that everybody will see it as our best yet, but journalists can be unpredictable. Then again, so can we…”

1984-09-22 - Hitkrant nr.38 (Netherlands) - PASPOORT DEPECHE MODE

[Source: eBay.com. The info comes from a "Personal Fact Sheet" made by DM's Official Info Service at the time. Transcribed/translated by me.]

PASPOORT DEPECHE MODE
"Wij zijn helemaal geen sterren", lacht Andy Fletcher. "We hebben enkel vreselijk veel geluk gehad." 'Bescheidenheid siert de mens' is bij deze groep waarschijnlijk de huisspreuk, want de Depeche Mode-boys kunnen ondanks hun jonge leeftijd al op een bijzonder rijk hitverleden terugblikken. Reden te over dus om met dit viertal wat nader kennis te maken.

ALAN
Naam: Alan Wilder
Geboortedatum: 1 juni 1959
Broers en zusters: geen [sic]
Burgelijke staat: Ongehuwd. Woont samen met vriendin Jeri en haar kind
Vorige baan: klanktechnicus in een Londense opnamestudio
Vorige bands: geen [sic]
Grootste trots: kater Tamla
Favoriete artiest: David Bowie
Favoriete kleding: losse hemden
Eet graag: lekker
Drinkt graag: Pale Ale
Vreselijkste ervaring: dat de tijd zo snel gaat
Favoriete film: alles van Polanski
Haat: opscheppers
Hobby: fotografie, dieren
Ambitie: op een exotisch eiland wonen met Jeri

DAVE
Naam: David Gahan
Geboortedatum: 9 mei 1962
Broers en zusters: twee broers, Peter en Philip. Eén zus, Susan
Burgelijke staat: Ongehuwd. Vaste vriendin Joanne
Vorige baan: te veel om op te noemen
Vorige bands: Vermin
Grootste trots: zichzelf op de radio horen
Favoriete artiesten: Bowie, Roxy Music, Siouxsie & The Banshees
Favoriete kleding: grijze gestreepte broeken
Eet graag: moeders rosbief
Drinkt graag: limonade
Vreselijkste ervaring: bestolen worden
Favoriete film: "The Deerhunter"
Haat: politici, lopen, wachten
Hobby: vissen
Ambitie: nummer één zijn

ANDY
Naam: Andy Fletcher
Geboortedatum: 8 juli 1961
Broers en zusters: Twee zussen, Susan en Karen. Eén broer, Simon
Burgelijke staat: Ongehuwd. Vaste vriendin Grainne
Vorige baan: verzekeringsagent
Vorige bands: The Blood
Grootste trots: een gouden onderscheiding bij de padvinders
Favoriete artiest: Tuxedo Moon
Favoriete kleding: lederen broeken
Eet graag: Chinees, spaghetti
Drinkt graag: bier
Vreselijkste ervaring: omvergereden worden door een bromfiets
Favoriete film: "The Warrior"
Haat: uitgelachen worden
Hobby: uitgaan
Ambitie: steeds beter synthesizer spelen

MARTIN
Naam: Martin Gore
Geboortedatum: 23 juli 1961
Broers en zusters: twee zusjes, Jackie en Karen
Burgelijke staat: Ongehuwd, wel een duitse vriendin, Christine
Vorige baan: bankbediende
Vorige bands: Norman & The Worms
Grootste trots: bitter weinig
Favoriete artiesten: Talking Heads, Iggy Pop
Favoriete kleding: lederen hesjes
Eet graag: vegetarisch
Drinkt graag: sinaasappelsap
Vreselijkste ervaring: in elkaar geslagen worden
Favoriete film: "One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest"
Haat: werken als hij geen zin heeft
Hobby: meisjesbladen lezen
Ambitie: miljonair worden

Translation:

PASSPORT DEPECHE MODE
"We are no stars", laughs Andy Fletcher. "We have just been very lucky." 'Modesty is our strong suit' is probably the group's main saying, because the Depeche Mode boys can look back on a extremely rich hit-past despite their young age. So there's plenty of reason to get acquainted with this foursome.

ALAN
Name: Alan Wilder
Date of birth: 1st of June 1959
Siblings: none [sic]
Relationship status: Unmarried. Lives with girlfriend Jeri and her child
Previous job: sound technician in a London recording studio
Previous bands: none [sic]
City of residence: Kilburn, London
Biggest pride: male feline Tamla
Favourite artist: David Bowie
Favourite clothing: loose shirts
Likes to eat: nice food
Likes to drink: Pale Ale
Most horrible experience: time going by so fast
Favourite movie: everything by Polanski
Hates: braggers
Hobby: photography, animals
Ambition: living on an exotic island with Jeri

DAVE
Name: David Gahan
Date of birth: 9th of May 1962
Siblings: two brothers, Peter and Philip. One sister, Susan
Relationship status: Unmarried. Steady girlfriend Joanne
Previous job: Too many to count
Previous bands: Vermin [sic]
City of residence: Basildon, Essex
Biggest pride: hearing myself on the radio
Favourite artists: Bowie, Roxy Music, Siouxsie & The Banshees
Favourite clothing: grey striped pants
Likes to eat: mother's roastbeef
Likes to drink: lemonade
Most horrible experience: getting robbed
Favourite movie: "The Deerhunter"
Hates: politicians, walking, waiting
Hobby: fishing
Ambition: being number 1

ANDY
Name: Andy Fletcher
Date of birth: 8th of July 1961
Siblings: Two sisters, Susan and Karen. One brother, Simon
Relationship status: Unmarried. Steady girlfriend Grainne
Previous job: insurance agent
Previous bands: The Blood
Biggest pride: a scouts' gold medal
Favourite artist: Tuxedo Moon
Favourite clothing: leather pants
Likes to eat: Chinese, spaghetti
Likes to drink: beer
Most horrible experience: being run over by a moped
Favourite movie: "The Warrior"
Hates: being laughed at
Hobby: going out
Ambition: playing the synthesizer better and better

MARTIN
Name: Martin Gore
Date of birth: 23rd of July 1961
Siblings: Two sisters, Jackie and Karen
Relationship status: Unmarried, but a German girlfriend, Christine
Previous job: bank clerk
Previous bands: Norman & The Worms
Biggest pride: not much
Favourite artists: Talking Heads, Iggy Pop
Favourite clothing: leather jackets
Likes to eat: vegetarian
Likes to drink: orange juice
Most horrible experience: getting beaten up
Favourite movie: "One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest"
Hates: working when not in the mood
Hobby: reading girls' magazines
Ambition: becoming a billionaire